Did your parents encourage you to pee outside or forbid it?

• 3 weeks later...

Depending the location, if we were in the city walking from store to store and i had to go my mom would instruct me to pee on a tree or some alley not minding if people were passing by, but if my sister had to go (which was always really urgent cause she used to hold her pee, even the doctor advised mom not let her do that idkw) my mom would try to find a really hidden place with no people and always made me go away so i wouldnt look.

When camping and such, we would be in the middle of the forest, so peeing in bushes/trees was the norm, my family was too busy drinking and partying to mind us kids.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody encouraged me to pee outside, nor forbade me to do so. If I'm at home or at work and the toilet is free, I pee in the toilet. For example, if I'm on a field trip where there are no toilets, I pee behind a bush. That's what all my friends do. Of course, when I pee outside, I try to do it so that others cannot see me (unless someone close to me).

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

I was not actively encouraged to pee outside unless it were a matter of convenience to solve a problem, ie I needed to go and there were no toilets around, when I might have been encouraged to go behind a hedge or something. It was all about the practicalities of the moment in hand, with no overarching desire to encourage me to pee outside unless it were a function of necessity.

I was never actively encouraged, but if the occasion requierd to take a piss then i would and no one really cared much. When i was around 15 or 16 i was on a hunting trip with a bunch of friends old and young and went out around 4am before leaving the cabin to take a desperate piss on the side of it due to both other bathrooms being occupied only to realize i was almost in front of a window with one of the older guys we was with standing right there. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Karuhowashere said:

My parents never told me or my brothers to pee outside, but it was expected we would. In Japan it is very common for boys to pee outside as well as girls sometimes. I live in Tokyo and I see lots of men who pee on a sidewalk or on trees. Maybe it is cultural.

I've read that Japanese office workers often drink after work and pee freely wherever. However, Japanese women in cities avoid peeing outside. Is this true? 

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, Takashi96 said:

I've read that Japanese office workers often drink after work and pee freely wherever. However, Japanese women in cities avoid peeing outside. Is this true? 

You're right I often see men pee outside of bars on the wall or sidewalk, usually office workers lol.

And yes its rare to see women pee outside in cities, but often they do in rural villages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...
On 7/16/2022 at 10:49 PM, Havelock said:

Another topic made me think of this. In addition to some parents encouraging vs. not encouraging peeing outside, I’ve noticed the different parents have very different approaches to letting kids have fun with peeing. 

I explained my upbringing with maids and nannies in Spain that would often give us kids the choice of where we peed and did not care if we played with our streams, made puddles or if the girls had pee races on slopes etc..

In my kids peer groups some mom’s are very strict and functional about any outdoor peeing. They pick a spot for their kid, they make sure it's fast and no playing around. As an example one mom was having her son pee on “the pee tree” at a local park and he started going back and forth with his stream side to side all over the tree bark and off the side. To this she grabbed his arm and said stop playing around and made him aim at one spot. 

Same group of kids, at the other end of the spectrum another mom always asks the kids where do you want to pee? And even suggests options to make it interesting: the wall, that fence, those flowers, the drain, the car tire... "Last time you peed on... do you want to pee on.." I’ve seen her then comment, “you gave those flowers a good watering.” or "wow, look at that big puddle you made." One time we were at a scenic overlook to the ocean which had a nice wooden fence. She gave her son the option to pee on the fence. He whipped it out and went side to side wetting the wood and even up high wetting the top, that sometimes people lean on for photos etc.. She then said, "good job, you painted that fence. Did you like that?" When her son is peeing she's asked my daughter and other kids if they want to pee in same place on on the same thing he's peeing on. 

It's funny that some parents are very uptight about peeing and others try to make it fun. 

Those moms that encouraged and made it fun are heroines🤣 Peeing must be fun and a challenge to be as naughty as possible, so they will remember it as fun when they grow up and continue doing so.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I grew up in a little village. We had a house with a garden and my parents did not necessarily encourage me, but it was simply normal to pee outside behind some bushes or hedges. I still remember though that my mom told me to pee in the hotel pool when I was 6 or 7 years old. I asked her where the toilet was and she said that there is no need to get out of the pool, as long as I could manage to piss in the water and not tell anybody. I was really surprised but didn't ask much about it, and going forward never used the real bathroom anymore in public pools 😉 . Hindsight I am very sure that she also did it herself every time 😄 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 7/16/2022 at 3:49 PM, Havelock said:

Another topic made me think of this. In addition to some parents encouraging vs. not encouraging peeing outside, I’ve noticed the different parents have very different approaches to letting kids have fun with peeing. 

I explained my upbringing with maids and nannies in Spain that would often give us kids the choice of where we peed and did not care if we played with our streams, made puddles or if the girls had pee races on slopes etc..

In my kids peer groups some mom’s are very strict and functional about any outdoor peeing. They pick a spot for their kid, they make sure it's fast and no playing around. As an example one mom was having her son pee on “the pee tree” at a local park and he started going back and forth with his stream side to side all over the tree bark and off the side. To this she grabbed his arm and said stop playing around and made him aim at one spot. 

Same group of kids, at the other end of the spectrum another mom always asks the kids where do you want to pee? And even suggests options to make it interesting: the wall, that fence, those flowers, the drain, the car tire... "Last time you peed on... do you want to pee on.." I’ve seen her then comment, “you gave those flowers a good watering.” or "wow, look at that big puddle you made." One time we were at a scenic overlook to the ocean which had a nice wooden fence. She gave her son the option to pee on the fence. He whipped it out and went side to side wetting the wood and even up high wetting the top, that sometimes people lean on for photos etc.. She then said, "good job, you painted that fence. Did you like that?" When her son is peeing she's asked my daughter and other kids if they want to pee in same place on on the same thing he's peeing on. 

It's funny that some parents are very uptight about peeing and others try to make it fun. 

Certainly the attitude of parents varies depending upon the local customs and traditions, but I've also found that it also depends upon where they are and who might be watching. For example, I know a great many moms who don't have any problem with their boys peeing in the yard, but are quite the opposite at a public park where others might cast judgement. Among a group of close moms no one seems to care, but among strangers the same moms are much more hesitant. It also seems much more acceptable in boys only groups, such as a group of boys playing in a yard together, a sport team practice or outdoor event like camping, hiking ect. In areas that are nearly closed to the general public, such as locker rooms for swim lessons or changing rooms moms seem least concerned and the most willing to let boys "have fun" peeing where they like.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, JackOfAllPees said:

Those moms that encouraged and made it fun are heroines🤣 Peeing must be fun and a challenge to be as naughty as possible, so they will remember it as fun when they grow up and continue doing so.

Where were these maids when I was a kid? 

1 hour ago, Ms. Tito said:

Where were these maids when I was a kid? 

If you think back through your childhood, I'm certain you can recall a time when you were young and out with your mom and she asked you to pee someplace other than in a restroom. At the beach, in the pool, in the locker room showers, perhaps along side of the road or between cars? Out in the yard or while hiking, sledding, ect. It's rare that a mom never suggested a boy pee elsewhere. What I find strange is that for some reason many teens and young men feel that what mom taught them years ago must not be appropriate at their age now, whereas moms are rather dumbfounded why their boys no longer do so.

• Agree 1
On 12/4/2022 at 8:17 PM, beachmom said:

Certainly the attitude of parents varies depending upon the local customs and traditions, but I've also found that it also depends upon where they are and who might be watching. For example, I know a great many moms who don't have any problem with their boys peeing in the yard, but are quite the opposite at a public park where others might cast judgement. Among a group of close moms no one seems to care, but among strangers the same moms are much more hesitant. It also seems much more acceptable in boys only groups, such as a group of boys playing in a yard together, a sport team practice or outdoor event like camping, hiking ect. In areas that are nearly closed to the general public, such as locker rooms for swim lessons or changing rooms moms seem least concerned and the most willing to let boys "have fun" peeing where they like.

@beachmom It seems that public vs. private or friends vs. strangers matters more in cultures like the US and UK. From my memories growing up, there was no hesitation to have us pee in public settings in Spain, France or Germany. There was no judgement in those cultures. From talking with my wife it is also similar in China and parts of Asia.

Even within the US there seems to be sub cultures in close geographic regions that are completely different in their judgement towards peeing outside. For example, we live in a large progressive US city that is very international. Our kids go to an affluent progressive school here and generally the peer and parent groups seem open and even encouraging of peeing outside. Its probably driven by parents who are exposed to global travel/living, into environmentalism and natural living, and generally progressive and not afraid of nudity etc.. There is also a very gender neutral approach to peeing because the culture is supporting gender equality. 50 miles away my wife's sister lives in a very conservative suburban neighborhood. They are shocked when my wife has our daughters pee outside. In that culture they never let their girls pee outside and would go to extremes to make the boys hide. Its ironic because they actually have more space and green space that makes any outdoor peeing less impact. Its just the collective conservative sub-culture. 

I've often wondered how much it takes to influence or change these localized cultural norms. We used to take that kids to a swim practice at a private residence. There was never really any outdoor peeing until one day a mom was frantically trying to unlock the back gate to the alley. The host mom went to help her and asked why. Her son had to pee and she wanted to take him out of the yard, to the alley. The host mom said, just have him pee here, which he did on the fence. After that everyone else let their kids do the same.

Another one of these fascinating cultural norms is the "pee tree." I've found that some playgrounds have a community agreed upon "pee tree" where the kids are taken / go to pee and other playgrounds that seem to have just as many applicable trees don't have any with this designation. How does this happen? How is the culture set?

Edited by Havelock
add tag
  • Love 1

We had a summer place in the country with a huge lawn and lots of woods. From a very early age I was encouraged to pee anywhere outdoors by both parents, and although my father peed outdoors my mother never did (that I saw). The fun of peeing on various things (grass, trees, rocks, ant hills, bushes, streams, etc.) probably gave rise to an interest in naughty peeing many years later.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Havelock said:

@beachmom It seems that public vs. private or friends vs. strangers matters more in cultures like the US and UK. From my memories growing up, there was no hesitation to have us pee in public settings in Spain, France or Germany. There was no judgement in those cultures. From talking with my wife it is also similar in China and parts of Asia.

Even within the US there seems to be sub cultures in close geographic regions that are completely different in their judgement towards peeing outside. For example, we live in a large progressive US city that is very international. Our kids go to an affluent progressive school here and generally the peer and parent groups seem open and even encouraging of peeing outside. Its probably driven by parents who are exposed to global travel/living, into environmentalism and natural living, and generally progressive and not afraid of nudity etc.. There is also a very gender neutral approach to peeing because the culture is supporting gender equality. 50 miles away my wife's sister lives in a very conservative suburban neighborhood. They are shocked when my wife has our daughters pee outside. In that culture they never let their girls pee outside and would go to extremes to make the boys hide. Its ironic because they actually have more space and green space that makes any outdoor peeing less impact. Its just the collective conservative sub-culture. 

I've often wondered how much it takes to influence or change these localized cultural norms. We used to take that kids to a swim practice at a private residence. There was never really any outdoor peeing until one day a mom was frantically trying to unlock the back gate to the alley. The host mom went to help her and asked why. Her son had to pee and she wanted to take him out of the yard, to the alley. The host mom said, just have him pee here, which he did on the fence. After that everyone else let their kids do the same.

Another one of these fascinating cultural norms is the "pee tree." I've found that some playgrounds have a community agreed upon "pee tree" where the kids are taken / go to pee and other playgrounds that seem to have just as many applicable trees don't have any with this designation. How does this happen? How is the culture set?

What city? Gotta be on the West Coast somewhere.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, Ms. Tito said:

What city? Gotta be on the West Coast somewhere.

I kind of imagine this sort of attitude might be most common either in the Pacific Northwest or in some of the less urban cities in California, rather than in the highly dense urbanized cities like LA and SF. In a very dense urban environment, in my view outdoor peeing is associated most with rowdy nightlife and homeless people, and I'd have a hard time connecting that with an innocent and free childhood. Plus there the kind of areas I imagine kids would be mostly driven from building to building and not spend much time walking around outside--and most buildings don't have outdoor areas of their own anyway. I'd associate the "pee in the yard" attitude much more with people living either in suburban picket-fence yards with hedges all around, or in rural areas where homes abut open space.

I saw something rather surprising a few weeks ago. I was at a beach parking lot and when I was parking, a SUV with a family had just parked recently and had unloaded their stuff, but not started the walk to the beach. I noticed that there was a roll of toilet paper and a potty that they had unloaded and put on the curb, and just thought they were a bit obsessively prepared for their beach trip. But then the mom said to one of the kids that she needed to try to go potty, and had her do it right there--facing away from the parking lot but still right there near others walking by. While it didn't surprise me that they wanted to avoid someone having to go at the beach, which was a good 15-20 minute walk from the parking lot, I found it odd that they didn't either 1) make use of the bathroom right next to the parking lot, which while rustic was better than a porta potty, or 2) do it in the SUV. I have a feeling that some pandemic experiences had led to this routine. But anyway, this family was white and the mom looked middle class and very "normal".

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2022 at 11:27 PM, Carb0nBased said:

I kind of imagine this sort of attitude might be most common either in the Pacific Northwest or in some of the less urban cities in California, rather than in the highly dense urbanized cities like LA and SF. In a very dense urban environment, in my view outdoor peeing is associated most with rowdy nightlife and homeless people, and I'd have a hard time connecting that with an innocent and free childhood. Plus there the kind of areas I imagine kids would be mostly driven from building to building and not spend much time walking around outside--and most buildings don't have outdoor areas of their own anyway. I'd associate the "pee in the yard" attitude much more with people living either in suburban picket-fence yards with hedges all around, or in rural areas where homes abut open space.

@Carb0nBased  I've found the opposite to be true. I've found more outdoor peeing in the urban areas, than in the suburbs. I think it happens because of several factors. First, urban density means there are more families walking around in urban areas vs. taking a car places in suburbs. This means you can't often get places quickly by foot when someone needs to pee, you can’t stop at a gas station or whip out a potty. Second, the urban areas tend to attract more liberal, open minded people and people who are from international backgrounds or significant travel experience. The west coast cities you mentioned are also not purely urban in their structure and planning. While they have density, they also some green spaces and houses with yards. 

When the kids were younger my wife would walk around an urban area with friends who also had kids. One of the other moms was originally German. It was quite common for them to help with potty breaks in a variety of places--street gutter, trees on the sidewalk, green strips, alleys, parking etc.. Once I even paused with one of the dads looking at a display in a closed storefront and when I turned around, my wife and his wife were holding the girls in squat positions over a garden of black river stones in front of the store just off the sidewalk. They were wetting the rocks. Another time we were walking back from a shopping trip in a beach area and they paused to pee the girls down a small street beside a store.

Even in very dense urban areas like NYC, I think there is pretty frequent outdoor peeing. We spent some time with friends with kids there a few years ago. My wife’s friend is an NYC native, liberal, upper middle class and she let her son pee all over the place. If he would ask to go when we were walking around Manhattan, she would often take him to the nearest building wall. She even commented, “Is there an age when I have to stop dong this? I’m not looking forward to having to find a bathroom every time he has to go. This is so much easier.” Their playgrounds did not have bathrooms so the “pee tree” was the norm.

• Love 1
On 12/9/2022 at 11:27 PM, Carb0nBased said:

I saw something rather surprising a few weeks ago. I was at a beach parking lot and when I was parking, a SUV with a family had just parked recently and had unloaded their stuff, but not started the walk to the beach. I noticed that there was a roll of toilet paper and a potty that they had unloaded and put on the curb, and just thought they were a bit obsessively prepared for their beach trip. But then the mom said to one of the kids that she needed to try to go potty, and had her do it right there--facing away from the parking lot but still right there near others walking by. While it didn't surprise me that they wanted to avoid someone having to go at the beach, which was a good 15-20 minute walk from the parking lot, I found it odd that they didn't either 1) make use of the bathroom right next to the parking lot, which while rustic was better than a porta potty, or 2) do it in the SUV. I have a feeling that some pandemic experiences had led to this routine. But anyway, this family was white and the mom looked middle class and very "normal".

@Carb0nBased The potty phenomenon you mention seems pretty normal now, although it its a little funny. There are many parents I know who carry these around in the car and as you mention I think the pandemic did encourage there more frequent use because people did not want to go in enclosed bathrooms. The funny part is that people often dump the potties right where they are using them, in the grass or on the parking lot tarmac. Some of the portable potty designs can be used and are frequently used without a liner or bag so the pee just falls onto the ground bellow. Perhaps that’s why the family you saw would not use it in the car. Also, why risk wetting the car?  

But more broadly these potties are kind of silly, because if the pee is ends up on the ground anyway, what’s the point? To help kids who can’t squat? To pretend you are somehow more civilized? This is where my wife (and her German friend) think all these moms with potties are crazy. Why carry around a plastic potty when the kids could just pee on the ground where the pee is going eventually anyway? Why not teach them a life skill of squatting instead of making them always dependent on needing a potty? It does seem popular in suburbia where somehow its considered more proper to sit on some plastic outside rather than squat. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2022 at 11:41 AM, Havelock said:

@Carb0nBased The potty phenomenon you mention seems pretty normal now, although it its a little funny. There are many parents I know who carry these around in the car and as you mention I think the pandemic did encourage there more frequent use because people did not want to go in enclosed bathrooms. The funny part is that people often dump the potties right where they are using them, in the grass or on the parking lot tarmac. Some of the portable potty designs can be used and are frequently used without a liner or bag so the pee just falls onto the ground bellow. Perhaps that’s why the family you saw would not use it in the car. Also, why risk wetting the car?  

But more broadly these potties are kind of silly, because if the pee is ends up on the ground anyway, what’s the point? To help kids who can’t squat? To pretend you are somehow more civilized? This is where my wife (and her German friend) think all these moms with potties are crazy. Why carry around a plastic potty when the kids could just pee on the ground where the pee is going eventually anyway? Why not teach them a life skill of squatting instead of making them always dependent on needing a potty? It does seem popular in suburbia where somehow its considered more proper to sit on some plastic outside rather than squat. 

It's not that I think the idea of the potty itself is silly--there are cases where there are no bushes or bathrooms and a kid needs to go RIGHT NOW, and having a container means you can go somewhere like in the back of a van, in a breezeway/alleyway of a building, etc. where you have some privacy even if it's a place where you wouldn't think of squatting and just peeing on the floor/ground. Although the "pee bottles", which I've seen many places but haven't actually heard any mom in real life talk about using, are much less unwieldy for this purpose (and also less silly for an adult to use--and hey we adults can have "pee emergencies" on car rides too). The dumping of the pee can be postponed to where you're somewhere with grass that doesn't "mind" any pee.

You're right that I think the idea of using a potty outside in a suburban neighborhood seems a little odd--and in fact using a potty to go out in the open anywhere is odd. Especially in the scenario I was talking about, which was out in nature. It was at a beach that is at least a half hour drive from the nearest town, and over an hour from any kind of "suburbia". Most of the weirdness was the idea of peeing in the parking lot at all--not the use of the potty. Though NOT using the potty ironically would have made it much easier to go behind a bush somewhere where they weren't peeing in full view of everyone parking. It would have also made it just as easy to pee near the beach as by the car, later when someone actually needed to pee. So that's the weird part--they used a device that should make more "modest" peeing easier, but they literally did it in the most conspicuous spot possible where people couldn't help but see it--even when there was a rather spacious car, a bathroom, and bushes/nature within ready walking distance. Not that I was offended, but it just struck me as defeating the entire purpose.

20 hours ago, Carb0nBased said:

It's not that I think the idea of the potty itself is silly--there are cases where there are no bushes or bathrooms and a kid needs to go RIGHT NOW, and having a container means you can go somewhere like in the back of a van, in a breezeway/alleyway of a building, etc. where you have some privacy even if it's a place where you wouldn't think of squatting and just peeing on the floor/ground. Although the "pee bottles", which I've seen many places but haven't actually heard any mom in real life talk about using, are much less unwieldy for this purpose (and also less silly for an adult to use--and hey we adults can have "pee emergencies" on car rides too). The dumping of the pee can be postponed to where you're somewhere with grass that doesn't "mind" any pee.

You're right that I think the idea of using a potty outside in a suburban neighborhood seems a little odd--and in fact using a potty to go out in the open anywhere is odd. Especially in the scenario I was talking about, which was out in nature. It was at a beach that is at least a half hour drive from the nearest town, and over an hour from any kind of "suburbia". Most of the weirdness was the idea of peeing in the parking lot at all--not the use of the potty. Though NOT using the potty ironically would have made it much easier to go behind a bush somewhere where they weren't peeing in full view of everyone parking. It would have also made it just as easy to pee near the beach as by the car, later when someone actually needed to pee. So that's the weird part--they used a device that should make more "modest" peeing easier, but they literally did it in the most conspicuous spot possible where people couldn't help but see it--even when there was a rather spacious car, a bathroom, and bushes/nature within ready walking distance. Not that I was offended, but it just struck me as defeating the entire purpose.

While you could theoretically take one of these potties to somewhere more private, I've never seen or heard of them used that way. The use cases I've witnessed are almost always in public. Usually its almost always by the car because they are being carried in the car.  I've also never seen someone transport it to empty it in another place. The enclosed bottom ones are shallow and thus slosh pee all over the place when full if you are trying to transport them. We were given one of these by wife's sister who carried them in her car. We used it exactly once in a parking lot in her sisters presence, experienced pee going over the front, the exact mess of dealing with dumping the shallow bowl of pee (in the parking lot anyway) and then the hassle of cleaning it after and putting the dirty thing in the car. The result was a wet potty, pee on the ground of the parking anyway and dirty towels to wipe down the potty. My wife declared it a ridiculous waste of plastic, a waste of trunk space and much easier to just hold the kids in a squat like most of the world and not have to deal with cleaning anything.

Most parents in the US we know are using https://www.oxo.com/oxo-tot-2-in-1-go-potty.html#gray-gray these days. Its almost always used without a liner, so its essentially just somewhere to sit while the pee goes on the ground. Kids still have to be taught to get their pants and feet out of the way or else a forward stream under the potty can get them wet. So when you get down to it, its just a way to avoid holding the kid or avoid teaching them how to squat.

We were on a trip to a museum with several families and met another family in the parking garage. When we got there the other family's daughter had to pee. Her mom got out one of those Oxo potties and put it behind the car for anyone passing to see. Meanwhile, my wife took the opportunity to help our youngest between the front of the car and the wall.  There was a bit of a curb so you could not put a potty there but no one could see. Within 30 seconds my wife had held her for a quick pee and she was good to go. Minutes later our friend was still helping her daughter who had wet the bottom of her pants, and managed to get the potty seat itself wet.

The conspicuous nature of using these is interesting. They need to be on flat ground which limits your location choices. Somehow its become a signal of propriety in some sub cultures. I see it in my wife's sister's neighborhood. They freak out about peeing behind a bush at the playground, but take out a plastic potty and you're free to perform your bodily functions for all to see and then dump it in the same bushes. Bizarrely, the potty makes it ok. Like, we're not animals, we're sitting on something human designed out in nature. 

@Carb0nBased Why do you find peeing in the parking lot strange? In most of the EU and Asia this is normal and even in many cases for adults. Even in the more conservative US it seems to happen frequently, especially at the beach. I know adults who pee in beach parking lots when changing etc.. In modern society people use cars so frequently that parking lots become natural places to make sure everyone has peed before or after a drive. If you don't want the kids making a mess in the car, its natural to get them to try to go before or after a drive.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:14 AM, Havelock said:

@Carb0nBased Why do you find peeing in the parking lot strange? In most of the EU and Asia this is normal and even in many cases for adults. Even in the more conservative US it seems to happen frequently, especially at the beach. I know adults who pee in beach parking lots when changing etc.. In modern society people use cars so frequently that parking lots become natural places to make sure everyone has peed before or after a drive. If you don't want the kids making a mess in the car, its natural to get them to try to go before or after a drive.

Maybe we live in different environments and go different places but in my experience it's very uncommon. Maybe in parking garages in the city at night when people are coming back from bars, or elsewhere at night, but certainly not in ordinary lots in broad daylight, and not in a place where there is nothing at all to hide behind.

You say "I know adults who pee in beach parking lots when changing"--which makes me think that where you are, changing in parking lots is common too. In my experience that certainly isn't at all. There are bathrooms to change in at most beaches where there are also parking lots--or else bathrooms by the parking lots at the trailheads when the beaches are a walk from the parking lot (as was the case at the beach I mentioned). Those who don't use the bathrooms to change do it in their cars, which is easy--unless by "changing" you simply mean slipping regular clothes over bathing trunks/a bathing suit, as opposed to actually stripping naked. In a few cases these beach bathrooms have showers (outdoor, but usually behind some sort of partition)--I'm sure plenty of people pee there but you couldn't tell. And nobody strips naked there either, at least in the men's side where I've been. 

Very occasionally a young kid will disrobe fully to change at the beach, next to his or her family--but as I say this is rare, maybe I see it once or twice a year? I mean it's rare without any sort of cover--I'm sure lots of families change in beach tents or under their blankets but then I wouldn't even notice that they do. There are also people of all ages who go up and over dunes to change--at beaches that have those. But I never see anyone of any gender or age, except again VERY rarely a small child, exposing his or her rear end or bare front to passersby in a parking lot, even remote dirt parking lots that are nowhere near "civilization". Even you mentioned going between the car and the wall--which is at least somewhat "private". 

The reason I think most people would find (open, easily visible spaces in) parking lots an odd place to change OR pee, as I said, was that there are plenty of other places to do it where you're not exposing yourself and your mess directly to others getting in and out of their cars. In nature places there are usually bushes, or as I said some of the more popular ones have bathrooms (which are at least worth going behind to change or pee, if not going inside). Parking lots for businesses are generally visited by people going inside, and those businesses have bathrooms. To me this seems like common sense. Now, if some ladies want to change or pee in a parking lot and I happen to stop by, I wouldn't complain...