Did your parents encourage you to pee outside or forbid it?

35 minutes ago, BGSB86 said:

Growing up in NYC, there’s not many places you can discreetly pee, so when you’re desperate and there’s no bathroom, well, sucks to be you. So it wasn’t really encouraged, but I was definitely reminded that it was a last minute option if absolutely needed. My mother was a bit more understanding since she too had a not so great bladder. 

Do you think this was because of gender?  I'm male and I spent some time growing up in NYC. I think I was allowed to occasionally pee in the park, street or side of a building. Recently we were at a ski retreat and talking to a mom from NYC. My wife was commiserating about potty training and the other mom said, "is there an age he (her son) has to stop peeing outside? I hope not, because that would be huge PITA. When he has to go I just point him at a building." Another mom said "in the city?" and she responded, "yeah, is that wrong? they have to go in a hurry and what are you going to do?"

12 minutes ago, Havelock said:

Do you think this was because of gender?  I'm male and I spent some time growing up in NYC. I think I was allowed to occasionally pee in the park, street or side of a building. Recently we were at a ski retreat and talking to a mom from NYC. My wife was commiserating about potty training and the other mom said, "is there an age he (her son) has to stop peeing outside? I hope not, because that would be huge PITA. When he has to go I just point him at a building." Another mom said "in the city?" and she responded, "yeah, is that wrong? they have to go in a hurry and what are you going to do?"

I don’t think so, at least in my situation. It was really me or my mom that would need an emergency pee, but anyone was allowed to pee outside of there truly was no option. The main reason we tried to hold it whenever possible was because of the risk of being caught by a cop, but even then I think public urination shouldn’t be punished as long as you are trying to be as concealed as possible. 

• Like 1

Not encouraged, they were practical and it was just normal to pee discretely anywhere I needed - park bushes, on the beach (through swimwear or in the water), even in the back garden (we had a large garden) if I was mucky/wet and getting to the toilet would make a mess of the house.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, KylieRobidoux said:

my friend (Maddie) and her mother actually pee in cups during their car trips - I have an interesting story on this if any of you would like to hear it. 

I would love to hear those stories, and I'm sure many others would, too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
13 hours ago, BGSB86 said:

I don’t think so, at least in my situation. It was really me or my mom that would need an emergency pee, but anyone was allowed to pee outside of there truly was no option. The main reason we tried to hold it whenever possible was because of the risk of being caught by a cop, but even then I think public urination shouldn’t be punished as long as you are trying to be as concealed as possible. 

I agree.  Well as long as the person has a little courtesy and tries to pee where the puddle won't be a nusance or damaging.  I don't like seeing people peeing on a stoop or in a doorway, where the pee runs into a puddle in the middle of busy sidewalk.

• 2 months later...

When I was a small child, before starting school, they were a bit more relaxed about pissing than later. Although my mom never peed with me outdoors, she at least tolerated me doing it. Maybe she was afraid I would not make all the way to the toilet anyways and lose it somewhere in the hall? Of course, peeing indoors was only permitted in the toilet.

When I grew up to a school child, later a teenager or adult, she became more and more restrictive and actively discouraged me. Needless to say, I did not really care for her opinion these days... 😉

Also, a bit off-topic - to this day, I love being naked at home. My mom, though, had the same attitude towards that over time as towards pissing in our garden.

I know my dad likes to pee outdoors whenever it is easier than tracking inside the house, maybe while wearing dirty work clothes. So he would never stand in my way.

• Like 1
On 6/18/2022 at 11:17 AM, Loller said:

My dad encouraged outside peeing but it always felt awkward to me compared to a toilet. I've only grown to like peeing outside when I was a bit older.

@Loller In what context did he encourage you? How did it feel awkward?

5 hours ago, Havelock said:

@Loller In what context did he encourage you? How did it feel awkward?

He said stuff like "It's summer now, you don't have to go inside to pee, you can just find a tree or a bush on the yard." And I meant that peeing outside felt awkward as a kid to me: it felt awkward to do something private like that "in public". I was nervous that someone could see me and it was especially embarrassing in my mind that there was a possibility that a girl could see me peeing, lol. I only started appreciating peeing outdoors when I was a bit older like 11-12 years old.

Edited by Loller
5 hours ago, Loller said:

He said stuff like "It's summer now, you don't have to go inside to pee, you can just find a tree or a bush on the yard." And I meant that peeing outside felt awkward as a kid to me: it felt awkward to do something private like that "in public". I was nervous that someone could see me and it was especially embarrassing in my mind that there was a possibility that a girl could see me peeing, lol. I only started appreciating peeing outdoors when I was a bit older like 11-12 years old.

It’s not like this stuff is obvious! I mean, that if you do it against a tree or bush that nobody will see much, and only see if they want to, and girls will have seen other boys do it, so it’s not like it’s something they’ve never seen before.

(Not to mention that against a wall behind the house is fine, but against the wall of the school with everyone looking isn’t, or that in the pool is fine, but obviously peeing into the pool from the edge is best done at quieter times when not everyone is looking)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, oliver2 said:

It’s not like this stuff is obvious! I mean, that if you do it against a tree or bush that nobody will see much, and only see if they want to, and girls will have seen other boys do it, so it’s not like it’s something they’ve never seen before.

(Not to mention that against a wall behind the house is fine, but against the wall of the school with everyone looking isn’t, or that in the pool is fine, but obviously peeing into the pool from the edge is best done at quieter times when not everyone is looking)

Yeah, I realize that but it still felt awkward to me back then. A girl seeing my penis or something like that was a very embarrassing thought in my head back then, lol. I've gotten over it a long time ago, though. I also hated public restrooms with urinals as a kid because it just felt so awkward to pee next to other boys/men, especially if it was a trough urinal.

Edited by Loller
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Loller said:

Yeah, I realize that but it still felt awkward to me back then. A girl seeing my penis or something like that was a very embarrassing thought in my head back then, lol. I've gotten over it a long time ago, though. I also hated public restrooms with urinals as a kid because it just felt so awkward to pee next to other boys/men, especially if it was a trough urinal.

I still hate troughs as an adult. I guess men aren't as comfortable with other guys seeing their bits as girls are with other girls seeing their boobs

• Love 1
9 hours ago, MonsterKane46 said:

I still hate troughs as an adult. I guess men aren't as comfortable with other guys seeing their bits as girls are with other girls seeing their boobs

Don't get me wrong, I still think troughs are a bit embarrassing but I always use one instead of the stall as I feel using it makes me feel more manly and confident. Yeah, there's a lot of (usually not explicit) comparing of genitals between guys in locker rooms, urinals, showers etc. and it can feel awkward to be naked (or have your penis out like at a urinal) around other men. I used to feel awkward showering in groups also when I was younger but luckily I'm over that too.

1 minute ago, Loller said:

Don't get me wrong, I still think troughs are a bit embarrassing but I always use one instead of the stall as I feel using it makes me feel more manly and confident. Yeah, there's a lot of (usually not explicit) comparing of genitals between guys in locker rooms, urinals, showers etc. and it can feel awkward to be naked (or have your penis out like at a urinal) around other men. I used to feel awkward showering in groups also when I was younger but luckily I'm over that too.

yeah I'm still pretty awkward about it

1 minute ago, MonsterKane46 said:

yeah I'm still pretty awkward about it

It's perfectly understandable. Not sure if it's a thing where you live but going to a naturist beach or resort or something like that could help make nudity feel less awkward. You get to see all kinds of bodies (including penises) and realize that there's nothing to be ashamed about.

• Agree 2
Just now, Loller said:

It's perfectly understandable. Not sure if it's a thing where you live but going to a naturist beach or resort or something like that could help make nudity feel less awkward. You get to see all kinds of bodies (including penises) and realize that there's nothing to be ashamed about.

yeah we have many nude beaches here.... done the nude sunbathing thing in back yard but not in public.... might have to try the beach

• Like 2
10 hours ago, MonsterKane46 said:

*cries in trans + lack of boobs* 

• Hug 2
4 hours ago, Ms. Tito said:

*cries in trans + lack of boobs* 

Dr. O prescribes at least one of: silicone, uh, things* to try externally for feel and balance, silicone implants, naturally grown boobs in response to an adjusted hormonal regime, and a dusting of variously soft and powerful kisses over your nipples and working their way downwards to between your legs where your dick hangs out.

* disclaimers: not actually a doctor. Any transplaining is regretted by the management. Penises may go up as well as down. 

• Love 1

My parents never made a big fuss about peeing, they encouraged me to use common sense and behave appropriately to the situation. So in general, where there is a bathroom in close proximity, this is the preferred option for me.

Being on a hiking trail is something completely different than being somewhere in a square or in a fairly crowded park.

And if I have to deal with an emergency situation somewhere with people around, I will make a reasonable effort to hide from their view as much as the surroundings allow, without walking a mile away.

With this approach, I have never gotten into a conflict situation either in my country or abroad.

Edited by laughingbeast
  • Like 3
  • Love 1