Full Bush

It has been a little long since I last posted.   Sometimes I'm a little reluctant to post until I feel like I've written enough.  Don't worry I'm getting back into this story.

------------------------

------------------------

"Mike.." Betty watched as Sara passed out pictures and crayons to the kids at her table. "..my stepdads church had a youth group, young adults -- all the groups.. It's not a conspiracy.  Churches just copy each other. They figure that if the other churches are doing it than there must be a good reason for doing it."

""I suppose.. I would have considered a youth group if you hadn't been so opposed to it." I watched Brett as he talked to an older man in a 'City' uniform. Brett looked a little exasperated. "But how about the list of suggestions I got from Bob?"

"Bob, did it on his own."

"Yeah," I watch Brett and the man from the City head our way. ".. he was helping us out."

"Mike Anderson?" The man from the city held out his hand, "Griffin Thompson. I bet you're surprised to see me a City Official so early in the day. I go for a brisk walk every morning, and I'm careful about what I eat. Would you believe I'm sixty-one?"

"No," I lied, "..you look great!" He looked a bit frail so I shook his hand carefully.

"Mike.." Griffin folded his arms and changed into his serious mode. "..I don't believe this place meets our licensing requirements."

"Really? As a church we aren't required to get a license but I believe everything is up to code. What changes would you like us to make?"

"That's what you need to figure out!" Griffin scowled. "You look around and you tell me what's wrong here!"

"Mr Thompson, this is the first time I've ever run a daycare. We need your help."

"Well you're not going to get it! Mike, I recommend you close this daycare down until you figure out what needs to be fixed!  

Don't make us come down here with a list of violations. We'll shut you down for good!" He walked out of the building without waiting for a response.

"Wonderful.." Brett groaned. "What should we do?"

"Nothing. I don't think we're in violation of anything. And if we are, let them prove it. I've done a little research and daycare centers often operate for years -- after getting cited for violations.

Brett, our church got around six thousand people last weekend. We've got to have more than a few lawyers in our congregation. I'll discuss this at the end of the services this weekend, and see what sort of help we can get."

---------

Friday afternoon we held a little party in the basement to celebrate the first successful week of the daycare. It was just Mayumi and Chris, Racheal and Jim, Heidi and Buck, and Betty and me.  

We setup the black and white TV in the little surveillance room.

Buck raised his eyebrows. "There they are!" 

News at Five showed protestors picketing outside our church. They held two types of signs. One type showed Betty, Rachael, Heidi, and Mayumi, wearing dresses performing at 'The Arc'. They read, "They're not fooling anybody!". The other type showed them with colored hair dressed in torn jeans and t-shirt. They read, "Don't forget who they are!"

"It's time to put an end to Mike Anderson's ridiculous 'get rich quick' prosperity cult.' "Pastor Martin spoke. "Mike Anderson does not really understand true Christianity." He threw his hands up. "Let's send these Californians back to California!

Fellow Louisiana Christians…. we need to get back to the basics. We need to focus on our relationship with our savior."

"Californians?" Heidi sighed. "I'm from Wisconsin."

"I'm from New York." Racheal laughed.

A middle aged women joined Pastor Martin with folded arms.

"Look Mike,." Pastor Martin addressed me personally, "I have been asked to explain something to you." He sighed, "Divorce is a reality... for many, many... very good.. people. Mike you can't just push these people aside.

Mike, you're from California so you must have heard the phrase 'Population Justice'...... Do you realize how overpopulated our world has become?" Pastor Mike paused. 'Do the older single men……... really have to have kids -- of their own? They could consider women…. women their own age…. who already have kids. You see Mike, adults need to be separated into age groups. That's the way we do it at The Beacon!  It just makes.. everyone more comfortable."

Racheal snickered, "Pastor Martin is not in great form. He looks too angry!"

"It's impromptu," I defended, "..he's not doing a bad job."

"No, he's doing a really bad job!" Heidi laughed. "Population justice? The single men will all come here."

Pastor Martin shook his head, "Mike, do you realize that your High School students come to The Beacon for our youth group?"

"That's true." Betty sighed. "Kristin and her boyfriend Chuck have been going over there. But Chuck wants to set up a youth 'tailgate' thing during our service."

"That's fine with me."

Pastor Martin, spoke seriously. "At The Beacon we don't offer free daycare, or investment advice. What we offer is a true Christian ministry. And as Christians we are duty lead to expose 'The Arc'. Do not be fooled!" He held up a sign that showed Betty, Racheal, Heidi, and Mayumi with colored hair 

"Betty, is Kristin's boyfriend Chuck the quarterback?" I asked. "Isn't he a little young for her?"

"Mike, they're both the same age!" Betty sighed loudly.

Rachael gave me an incredulous look. "Mike you played football, don't tell me there weren't at least a few unusually big players in your High School. I even knew a tall guy who had been raised as a left hander so he would have an advantage in basketball."

Chris shook his head skeptically. "Aren't people born either right-handed or left-handed?" 

Racheal shrugged.

"Chris," Buck cut in. "I've heard of that too.". He laughed, "People are just people.."  

"You guys.." Heidi made a face, "Let people do what they want to do. It's their life! Let's have some beer and eat the pizza before it gets cold."

"Mike," Betty unfastened her jeans as the others left the room. "..I see pain in your eyes. You are too much of an idealist." She squatted.

"I don't care about the sports, but we live in such a controlling manipulative world.." I watched as the puddle spread across the carpet under Betty. "You know you're going to have to stop doing that once we have kids."

Betty smirked, "I know, but it feels so rebellious and wrong that I'm addicted."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We found the others gathered around a large table in one of the oddball rooms.  Racheal had a blender out and was making mixed drinks.  

I helped myself to a big piece of pizza, and a drink, and sat down on one of the long side couches.

"So Mike," Buck walked over to me, munching on a piece of pizza, and sipping a beer. "Have you made any money at all with this church?"

"No.. but we're almost breaking even if you don't count the fine."

"How long can you continue?" Buck sat down.

"A long time.  I'm making money off of some of my investments right now.   I'm not going to run out of money."

Buck looked like he wanted to say something but he remained silent.

"It's a fun easy way to make a lot of money!" Betty sat down on my lap.

"Yeah, we're all getting rich.." Heidi gave Betty, me, and Buck another piece of pizza and sat down on his lap.

Rachael carried a tray of drinks over to us.  "Woah, go easy on the pizza."

"Rach, what type of pizza is this?" Mayumi inspected the cover of the pizza box. "Happy?" 

"You got us happy pizza?" Chris made a face at Jim and Rachael.

Jim raised his eyebrows, "It is really good pizza!"

"So, we're all going to be stoned in a little bit?" Buck asked.

"In a half hour or so." Jim grinned. "Buck, haven't you ever had happy pizza?"

"I just got drug tested...". Buck dodged the question.

"Then you probably won't be drug tested again for a while." Rachael said nonchalantly.

"Boobs you could have told us." Heidi sighed.

"Boobs?" Jim eyed Rachael with amusement. 

"Wanna see my boobs?" Rachael grinned madly.  She pulled her blouse off over her head and removed her bra.  Her breasts were large, firm, and shapely, with large erect nipples.

Betty gasped, "Boobs, are you pregnant?" 

Rachael shrugged her shoulders. "Pussy, are you."

Betty unbuttoned her blouse, and pulled her bra up.  Her erect nipples were large brown and puffy. "I'm pregnant."

"So what?  That doesn't prove anything." Heidi pulled her polo off, and took off her bra.  Her breasts were just as full and round as Rachael, and Betty's.  Her nipples were much lighter in color, but just as big and erect.

"Mayumi, are you going to show the guys your boobs too?" Betty laughed.

Mayumi stuck her tongue out. "Why don't you show the guys your pussy?"

Betty stood up, stuck her tongue out at Mayumi, and smirked as she unfastened her jeans.  She pulled both her jeans and panties down in one move. "Check out my pussy!" She parted the thick pubic hair that covered her mound, and turned so everyone got a good view of the kitten tattoo.

"Wanna see my pussy?!" Rachael curled her tongue and giggled. 

Betty rolled her eyes comically and sat down bottomless on my lap.

Rachael rocked her hips from side to side as she pulled her jeans down, then she looped her fingers into her panties and pulled them down one side at a time exposing her raw hairy pussy.  She grinned madly as her jeans and panties fell to the floor leaving her completely naked.

The alcohol and cannibus were starting to take effect.  I laughed along with the others as Rachael parted the hair and spread her pussy lips.  She moaned dramatically as she rubbed circles around her erect clit, then slid a couple of fingers inside.  

"Rachael!" Jim laughed as she squatted.

A thick stream of pee jetted from Rachael's pussy and splashed loudly on the carpet.  She tipped her head back and closed her eyes in mock ecstasy. "Oh that feels so good!"

Heidi jumped off of Buck's lap as we laughed uncontrollably.  She yanked her jeans and panties down and squatted right in front of Buck. 

"Heidi!" Buck gasped and moved suddenly to the side as Heidi's fountain of pee hit his leg.

"Sorry," Heidi continued to spray the front of the couch, "..I really had to go."

"Heidi, accidentally peeing on guys again?" Mayumi snickered as she kicked her jeans and panties off. 

"Mayumi, you should talk!" Heidi giggled..

Mayumi stuck her tongue out as she sat down on the edge of the couch on the other side of the room.  She spread her legs, fully exposed her raw hairy pussy.

"Mayumi was a little devil!" Rachael's eyes twinkled with amusement.  She pushed down on Jim's head.  He gave her a puzzled look and squatted.  His face was right in front of her hairy pussy   

"Guys would get too close to the stage.." Rachael grinned like an idiot, and guided Jim's face into her pussy, "..and she would blast them in the face."

Betty guided my hand to her swollen clit. I began to rub around it like Rachael had rubbed herself as I watched Mayumi.

Mayumi, smirked smugly, and sent a fountain of pee a good meter and a half in front of her.  

"I gotta pee." Betty pushed my hand away and stood up.  She squatted to the side of the couch. I headed for the table.  Mayumi's stream had weakened and she hovered over the couch as she peed on the cushion. 

I grabbed another piece of pizza and eyed the mixed drinks for a second.  

"Careful those are awfully strong drinks." Chris leaned against the table.

"Very strong!" I grabbed one of the drinks and sipped carefully.  There was a painting of a reclining naked lady on the wall.  As I studied it I realized it was just a painting of a landscape. "Chris what is that machine?" I pointed at the thing that looked like a large printer.

"It's a passport maker." Chris grinned, "Pretty new! The Pastor must have just gotten it before they took him out."

"What was he planning to do?" I walked dizzily to the machine.

Chris shrugged, "Change his identity and flee the country?"

"Well he didn't succeed."  I leaned on the machine.

Betty wrapped her naked body around me from behind. "Fuck me Mike!"

"We washed and changed the sheets and blankets on the beds." Mayumi leaned against Chris.

"Where did everybody go?" I suddenly realized that we were the last two couples left.

Mayumi laughed raucously, "They left while you were looking at that picture." 

"Let's go to bed." I said drunkenly.  Betty had me unzipped, and my cock out, before I was even out of the room.

I Itopped with Chris for a piss on the wall in the hallway.  Betty aimed me, and Mayumi aimed Chris.  The girls weren't very good aim because Betty almost hit Mayumi, and Mayumi almost hit Betty.

----------

I awoke in a twin bed, with Betty.  The red numbers on a large digital clock on the wall lit the room faintly and indicated  it was ten o-clock.

"It's ten AM." Mayumi squatted next to another bed where Chris lay asleep.  I listened to her pee splash on the low commercial style carpet and tried to visualize her hairy pussy in my mind's eye.  

Betty's hand was wrapped around my hard cock, but she was still asleep.  I carefully set my hand on her hairy mound.  Her clit was swollen and she was wet.

Betty opened her eyes and smiled at me.  She rolled into her side and the bed creaked.  The bed creaked again as I scooted closer so she could rub the tip of my cock on her pussy.  

I heard the bed on the other side of the room creak.  "Let's go shower." I heard Mayumi whisper to Chris.

I looked over at them, Chris was sitting up, and Mayumi was sitting naked on the edge of the bed.  Chris noticed me.  "Mike, there's soap and clean towels in the locker room."

"Okay." I turned back to Betty.  'The locker room' was a good description.  The second they were out of the room I was back on top of Betty.

------------

We all ate brunch together at the river side restaurant in Saint Joe.  We weren't exactly anonymous but we sat outside where we could talk with relative privacy.

"Let's just keep quiet about last night." Buck practically whispered.

Heidi nodded, "No more happy pizza!"

Rachael shrugged, "You're the one who made the drinks.. but what are you talking about?  It's not like we're going to be doing it again."

"What?" Mayumi frowned.

Jim sighed, "Rachael you need to tell them."

"Tell us what?" Betty asked.

"We've been talking with Buck and Heidi..." Rachael exhaled, "I'm sorry…... we're quitting."

"Quitting what?" Betty asked.

"The job, the band." Heidi said quietly.

Betty's eyes widened, "You are, why?"

Jim leaned forward "Look Betty… things are getting scary… It seems like you guys are getting ready to run..  This is going too far, it's not worth it." He took a breath,  "I can't run.  I've got a business, this is my home.. I've got too much invested here………. Rachael and I are getting serious."

Buck nodded, "Mike, I'm sorry..  That day you showed us the basement really got me thinking… I know I told you not to back out...". He shook his head, "I've changed my mind… You can back out… I'm backing out….  If you all have to run I'll help… but I'm sorry.  It's not worth the risk for us."

"You can't just quit!" The waitress surprised us.  She wiped the tears out of her eyes. "I finally have friends -- good friends!  The other churches…. They're  terrible...  If you don't have looks, or money, they don't want you..  A couple of the waitresses here -- have kids in your daycare.."

"I'm not quitting." I said with determination, "..but this isn't going to last forever."

"Mike, give it up." Rachael said quietly.

"No, anyone who cares only about their own safety doesn't know true love."

"Rachael, Heidi, at least do one last performance with us this weekend." Mayumi pleaded.

"Okay." Heidi agreed.

• Like 2

Betty grinned broadly at the News at Five cameramen, and then back at the large group protestors at the front of the church as we started our Sunday morning service. She was dressed in jeans, cowboy boots, and a black hoodie, with the hood up -- like the others

"Good morning, I am Pastor Mike, and I would like to welcome you to 'The Arc'." I walked the stage as the protestors stood and raised the signs that showed the girls with colored hair.

"Remember who they are! Remember who they are!" The protestors began to chant.

"And here they are!" I announced.

Betty, and the girls ran onstage and pulled down their hoods. Their hair was dyed as it had been when they were 'Full Bush'. The audience erupted in deafening applause.  

It seemed to take the wind out of the protestors. They appeared truly confused. Every time they would raise a sign the audience would applaud.  

When the commotion finally died down. Betty took the stage singing the Eurythmics song 'Sweet Dreams'. The rest of the band sung along with her. It was the best version of the song I had ever heard.

I finished the service by asking for legal help, and announcing the church brunch. It wasn't free, but the caterers had been pushing for me to allow me them to offer a brunch after the service. I had conceded after beating them down on price.

Racheal and Heidi gave an impromptu but pretty amazing musical performance at the brunch. The kids absolutely loved the show they put on with a bullwhip and lassoo before finishing with country music.  

I felt a little sadness the when I saw the tears in Betty's eyes as Racheal and Heidi walked away with Jim and Buck. She wrapped her arms around me and buried her head in my chest.

"What's going on?" Kristin walked up to us. "Are they quitting?"

"They quit." Betty said quietly.

"Do you need a guitar player?"

"You're hired!" Betty grinned.

"I play the drums!" A chubby black kid ran over to Betty.

"What's your name?"

"Jeremy."

"How old are you Jeremy?"

"Eighteen."

"Jeremy," Betty held out her hand. "..welcome to the band!"

-----------

• Like 2

A total of ten lawyers showed up Sunday afternoon. I told them about Griffin Thompson's warning.

A lawyer named Mark snickered, "He's saying you don't know what you're doing and you need to get out before you get yourself into trouble.."

"But aren't we Innocent until proven guilty?" I asked. "We don't have to prove ourselves innocent? They have to prove us guilty? Right?"

"Look, we can check everything out. If it checks out we'll send a letter to the city. We'll say; 'We have examined 'The Arc's' daycare program. To the best of our knowledge the program is in full compliance with City, State, and Federal regulations. Please contact us if we have overlooked something.'"

"Mike," A lawyer named Patricia frowned, "The concept of 'innocent until proven guilty' is symbolic. All they have to do to shut us down is to show 'probable cause' -- and that's rather vague.. We would be subject to 'due process'.   In effect we would have to prove our innocence.

Mike, our families would be left without daycare. And you could end up back in jail --  if the court approved. This stuff is serious!"

"So? We knew there were risks when we got into this." I tried to look nonchalant. 'I'll reimburse our families if we get shut down temporarily. I'll pay for it."

"Patricia,"  Mark chuckled, "..relax! The worst they'll do is shut our program down temporarily. Mike's not going to go to jail. But he might have to pay another fine." He gave me a cryptic look, "Mike how rich are you?"

"I'm a billionaire."

-----------

I was sitting on the edge of the stage, in the chapel, with Betty, Monday afternoon, when Chris and Mayumi approached us carrying large 'walkie talkies'. "Mike, we found these hand held radios in the basement. There's a dozen or so down there. They're fancy, they even work on the police frequencies."

"Is that legal?"

"Probably.." Chris grinned. "Could I borrow a few to use with my crew?"

"Sure. If I carry one I can talk to you guys too. I've been meaning to buy some church cellphones, so we can keep our personal phones more private..

SNAP! ZIP! 

I glanced over at Mayumi who smirked and reblliously pulled her pants down right in front of me.

"Mayumi.." Chris groaned.

Mayumi ignored Chris. "A new Iphone?"

"Sure.."

"Mayumi, what are you doing?" Chris sighed.

"One last piss contest in remembrance of full bush!" Mayumi kicked her pants off.

I half looked away as Mayumi squatted at the edge of the stage, pulled her panties to one side, and sent a fountain of piss all the way into the front row of the seats.  

"Gross Mayumi!" Betty removed her skirt and panties. She squatted and sent a fountain that hit the seats as well.

Chris made a face. "I'm not cleaning that up." .

"Me either." I agreed. "But it's so wrong it's kinda hot.."

"Full Bush was wrong.." Mayumi grinned madly as she made a little puddle on the stage carpet. "We were rebels!" She sighed. "But .f we can't keep this church, with it's daycare program going… than what we're doing is wrong.. maybe worse.."

"Maybe we can set things up so other people can continue it." I argued.

"How realistic is that?" Mayumi asked.

"Not very. Let's at least show people that it can be done."

----------

The next two weeks breezed by without a problem. The preschoolers looked cute as could be in their little blue pants, and white shirts -- which never stayed white for long. And we added three new groups of kids, and five new teachers. Two replaced Rachael, and Heidi.

Jeremy turned out to be an accomplished drummer. Kristin was still a beginner on the guitar, but Betty and Mayumi were working with her and she was coming along. Mayumi took over on the organ, and even though she didn't consider it her best instrument she was really pretty outstanding.

We held another singles dinner. Joey Williams and his wife talked about marriage and the struggles of raising kids. We got a pretty good turnout -- we filled the chapel.  

The Arc had become so popular it was a little overwhelming. We only had three services but our church congregation now numbered over six thousand. Our daycare program, and my talks on budgeting and investing, were really drawing the people -- but we were also getting criticized for being a prosperity ministry. And maybe that criticism was somewhat true…

'Good Morning America' did a little segment on our daycare program, and church. And then Betty and I were interviewed by a radio station. They focused on our lack of youth group, a young adults group, or any of the 'groups' that modern Christian churches of our size typically have.

------------

It came without warning. It was Monday morning and I was up early. I found a white unmarked envelop on our doorstep and a paper posted on the front door of the church that read; "CLOSED BY ORDER OF THE CITY OF SAINT JOE.".

Could they do that? Mark, along with the other lawyers, had checked things out. He had written the City a letter. We had not received a single warning -- unless you count the original warning by Griffin Thompson. The envelope on my doorstep had merely stated that our daycare was being closed by order of the City.

I called Mark.  He answered on the first ring. "Mike, take those down. It sounds like somebody's idea of a practical joke. Just open up like normal. I'll be right over."

Mark was fast. He met me in my office less than a half hour after I called. "Mike this is ridiculous!" Mark laughed. "It's definitely a practical joke, but I'll go and check with the City just to be on the safe side."

I didn't hear back from Mark until almost noon. "Mike this is crazy.." Mark spoke in a guiet somber tone. "I can't get a straight answer out of the City….. but they really can't shut us down unless they can show that we're operating in violation of a code or ordinance!"

Tuesday morning Buck showed up at the cafeteria when we were starting our daycare.

"Mike, the City wants me to enforce their shutdown order, but they didn't give me the proper paperwork, or authorization." Buck frowned. "I told them I would at least come by and talk to you."

"Buck, one of our lawyers, Mark Willcox, is down at the City again today trying to find out whats going on." I looked over at Brett, and Sara, who were curiously together watching us. "Buck, what is going on?"

Buck leaned close."Mike, do you own guns?"

"No.."

"Well.." Buck almost whispered. "From what I gather you are a person of interest to the ATF. Apparently there have been reports of ammo delivered here."

"Wonderful.. Our neighbor down the road is a gun nut, and our postal carrier keeps dropping his boxes of ammo here."

"Big stuff?"

"You mean large quantities? No, but big thirty- nine millimeter rounds."

"For an AK-47?"

"I don't know. I don't know much about guns. My dad had a nine millimeter handgun."

"Mike, where'd you get that hand held?" Buck changed the subject.

"The walkie talkie? Chris found them in the basement. His cleaning team uses them.

"What channel are you using?"

"Six."

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mark Wilcox continued to talk with the city and the rest of the week breezed by without incident. I considered telling Brett about the problem with the City but ultimately decided against it. He had his hands full with the new teachers and our ever expanding group of kids.

The weekend services went without a hitch. Our church was growing so fast that we were now using acres of mowed grass for parking.

Sara and Brett seemed to be spending more time together during the daycare. Whether or not they were ever going to get back together it felt good seeing the family together.

Things were going great, then Friday hit...

"Mike! Mike! Mike!!" My walkie talkie surprised me.

"Chris what's up?"

"Mike, this is Buck! The ATF is getting ready to head over there to serve you a warrant. Get all of the kids outside, and wait for them on your knees with your hands folded over your head!!"

I rushed to the microphone. "The ATF is on its way here to serve me a warrant! Any parents who are still here need to get their kids -- and any more you can fit in your car -- out of here! Let's fill the buses, and line the remaining kids up on the field to the side of the parking lot!"

"Michael what the fuck did you do?" Sara's face tensed. "What the fuck did you do?!" 

"Sara, I didn't do anything!" I put my hands up instinctively as she approached me. 

"Michael, you mother fucking idiot!!" Sara lunged, hit my upheld arms, and kicked me in the shin.

"Get offa him!" Betty shrieked. The two went down in a tangle.

"Go! Go!!" I yelled at Brett.

BRRRRRIIIIIINNNGG! My phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Mike Anderson… I hear somebody tipped you off. This is Commander Wilkinson. Remain in the building -- next to the front doors of the church.  Wait for us there. We will communicate by phone. Don't try anything loony. We can see exactly where you are by your phone." He hung up abruptly.

"What?... Betty get off of Sara! They're making me stay in the building until they get here -- but you guys should get outta here!"

Sara got up slowly. She was so angry she was shaking -- but she headed outside without so much as a word.

"Mike where are you going?"  Betty chased after me.

"To the chapel to wait at the front doors."

"I'll come with you." Betty offered. "We need to make sure there aren't any kids left in the building."

We found Chris and Mayumi in the chapel seated on the edge of the stage. Betty went down to talk to them and I headed to the front doors. 

The doors burst open and Sara rushed into the chapel. "Jenny!" She called. "Jenny, where are you?!". 

Brett followed towing Johnny, and Billy. "Mike!! Have you seen Jenny?"

"No!" I hurried down the aisle. "Jenny's missing!  Help us look for her!"

BRRRRIIINNGG! 

"Yeah?" I answered the phone.

"Mike, where are you going? We can see you!  You can't fool us.  We have a very sophisticated system. Get back to the front doors!"

"I'm helping my wife look a missing little girl named Jenny!" I headed back up the aisle and waved Chris to follow me. I turned on my phone's speaker. "Okay I'm near the front doors now." I set my phone down on the floor, and pointed at Chris's walkie talkie.

Chris handed me the walkie talkie. I reset the station to four, set the walkie talkie on speaker/hands free mode, and set it on the floor next to the phone. Then I reset my own walkie talkie to four and ran down the aisle to the others. "Let's check in the basement!" I whispered lo loudly

"The basement?" Sara gave me an anxious confused look.

"The panic room."

"Mike, what's going on in there?" The commanders voice came through my radio. 

"Nothing!  The others are going to look for Jenny.  I'm waiting at the door like you told me to." I hurried for the hallway. The others following.

"Mike, do you play baseball?"

"I played in Junior High, and High School."

The closet door was half open! I yanked it fully open and saw the secret door at the end of the closet half open. Had I left it open?  

"Mike, in baseball, it's three strikes... and you're out!"

"Yeah.." I ran down the stairs. The lights were on.

"Well Mike," The Commander said glibbly, "..the way I figure it….. this is your third strike!"

"Okay.." I headed for the open door. It was the room where we had held the party.

"Mike! We will be there in a few minutes and you will see why they call my team, the 'A-team'!"

"Okay.."

Jenny was at the far end of the room playing with the passport machine. One of the drawers in a small dresser to the right of the machine was open. It held wigs.  

Jenny had a black wig on and was pressing a button on the side of the machine repeatedly. "It's a camera!" Jenny beamed. She held up a bunch of small passport sized pictures of herself. "My daddy says I'm really smart because I'm only four and I can read as well as a seven year old!"

"There she is! Thank God!" I heard Brett.

"Jenny!" Sara sounded as relieved as Brett., "Why did you run off like that?!"

"I don't know…" Jenny looked down at the floor.

"Mike, what is that thing?" Brett asked.

"A passport maker."

"Mike! Mike!" Buck's voice came from Mayumi's walkie talkie. Mayumi handed me the walkie talkie.

"Buck?"

"Mike! Where are you?"

"We're in the panic room -- the basement."

"Who's with you?"

"Betty, Chris, Mayumi, Sara, and Brett, and their three kids. We were looking for their daughter Jenny. We found her down here playing with the passport machine."

"Mike, the ATF is bringing an armoured vehicle. And somebody tipped off the news. Be careful! Don't do anything crazy! This could get out of control!"

"I'm supposed to be waiting at the front door, but we could just exit through the tunneland you could come by and pick us up."

"Mike! I'm in the middle of something. I'm not going to be able to get there for awhile, and that would be a studidly dangerous thing to do. You would have to run. You would probably have to leave the country! Mike! Mike! Listen to me! You don't see want to run or do anything stupid. This is a raid! You all could get killed!"

"Okay.. "

"If we have to run we'll need passports!" Chris said anxiously. He hurried over to the machine. "I think we can do this!"

"Can you make one for me?!" Johnny asked excitedly.

"Me too! Me too!" Jenny and Billy chimed in.

"No Chris.." Brett shook his head, but Chris appeared undetered.  Brett looked at me like he wanted to kill me. "Mike, this is fucking insane!! What have you gotten us into?"

"I don't know." I faced Brett as I passed him. "Brett, let's go and check the video cameras."

Brett followed me to the surveillance room. I was relieved to see that kids were being loaded into buses by the police who were already here.

"Wonderful.." Brett shook his head. "Here they come."

A convoy of 'ATF' cruisers followed by a large armored vehicle -- that looked a lot like a tank with a turret and a large gun barrel on top -- entered the parking lot. Behind them a convoy of 'News' vans followed.

"Mike, it's showtime!" The Commanders voice came from my walkie talkies. The music from the TV show 'The A-Team' played.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Brett looked scared. "Mike, we''re going to have to give ourselves up."

"I know.." I watched the news teams as they rushed around and set things up at the outer edge of the parking lot.  The ATF seemed to be waiting for them.  

"Mike, here's how it's going to work." The Commander instructed me. "We are going to give you exactly ten minutes.  You are going to strip down to your tightie whities, and come out with your hands over your head."

"Okay Brett, I'll go..  I'll run up there, strip, and head out.  I'll leave my phone on the floor inside. Watch the video.  If I make it okay, then get the others and head to the front doors.  You can talk to the Commander with my phone.  He'll probably have you guys strip down to your underwear like me.

Don't worry we haven't done anything.  We'll get through this!" I tried to sound confident.

"Okay go!" Brett said with determination.

I had to will myself to move.  I knew in my heart that I was going to end up back in prison -- but the safety of the others was the most important thing to me.

"Stop Mike! Stop!! Stop!! Come back!!" Brett yelled the second I was out the closet door.  It rattled me to the core and I literally felt sick as I turned around and headed back into the closet.  I closed the door behind me, and I closed and latched the heavy door at the back before descending the stairs.

"Fuck! Fuck!!" Brett's voice shook. 

I rushed into the surveillance room.  One of the video monitors showed two armed ATF agents in the lobby on either side of the front doors to the chapel.

I took a breath, "Are those smoke bombs, or hand granades?!"

They pulled the 'pins' and tossed the round objects into the center of the doors.  There was an explosion and one of the cameras went dead.

The dust settled.  The doors in the center had been blown away. The ATF agents entered the doors closest to each side.  One ran to the center, then staggered backwards in a bizzare fashion.

"He just got shot!" Brett gasped.

The other agent ran to his aid -- and went down in similar fashion.

"Oh fuck! Oh fuck! Those imbeciles just shot their own guys!"  Brett's voice shook.

I grabbed Mayumi's walkie talkie from the desk with shaky hands. "Buck! Buck!! Help us!! Help us!! We're running! We're running!!" I took off down the hallway. 

"Mike this is insane!"

"Buck, they just killed two of their own guys!"

Buck didn't respond.

"Chris how are the passports coming?" I wiped the tears out of my eyes,  "We're running! We're running!"

The passports for the kids, Mayumi, and me, are done."

"Okay! Make ones for Sara, and Betty!  Just call us the Prescott's!" I struggled to breathe normally.  "We've already got the fake licenses."

I ran back to the surveillance room to see what was holding Brett up.

Brett gave me a somber look."Mike, there's all sorts of activity out there."

I looked at the video screen. The ATF cruisers were positioned in a sort of semi-circle in front of the church's entrance. Behind them a dozen or more news vans with masts up.  Behind the news vans sat a whole Army of police cruisers.

In front of everybody was the armored vehicle.  It slowly approached the church.

"What the fuck?!" I felt myself shake. "Are they going to shoot gas into the building now?!  Wasn't killing me enough?!"

"They don't want any of us to live."  Brett said grimly. "And we're trapped."

"Brett! Didn't you here me talking about running?  There's a tunnel at the back.  It leads to a house.  Brett let's go!!" I watched the armoured vehicle fire something into the building. "We need to make passports and get the fuck outta here!" I ran back to the other room and almost collided with Sara and the kids.

I felt a shake and the lights went out.  I heard a noisy generator start up and the lights came back on. 

"What was that?!" Betty looked at me in horror.

"They fired something into the building." Brett said behind me. 

"Mayumi!" Betty yelled, "Take Sara and the kids down the tunnel, and wait at the end for us!"

"Mike! Brett! I need to take your pictures!"  Chris called to us.  He physically guided me in front of the camera.  I felt as dazed as Brett looked.

It didn't take Chris more than a few minutes to make the last two passports.

"Shit I need money!" I ran back to the passport room, and pulled out a small metal box out of the desk.  Inside were three large stacks of bill -- twenty-five thousand each.  I grabbed all of them and crammed them into my pockets.

"Wow, that's a lot of money!" Brett caught me by surprise and made me jump.

"Brett! Betty! Chris!    Let's get the fuck out of here!"  

The room shook and the lights went out for good.  Then the light on Brett's phone came on.

Chris snatched the walkie talkie off of the desk. "Turn that phone off and pull the battery out!" Chris ordered.  "I've got a flashlight!"

"You've got a flashlight?" Brett asked.

"I'm a janitor!" Chris turned on the flashlight.

BOOM! The door at the top of the stairs blew in.

"They know we're in here!" Brett yelled.

"They targeted the phone signal!" Chris took off down the hallway.

Brett almost broke his phone as he popped it apart and pulled the battery out "Wait for us!" He chased after Chris -- then he held the door to the tunnel open for Betty and me, and entered behind us.

We could barely see but we ran.  We took a couple of bad scrapes but we were more than halfway down the tunnel when a deafening blast caused the tunnel to cave in behind us.  Brett piled into us and we ended up on the cold rock floor in a heap.

"Ow fuck.." Brett got up slowly. "I think the blast came from inside the tunnel."

"Yeah… Oww…" I moaned "Probably something to keep people from following… but it malfunctioned -- of course…"  I lay on the floor, in the dark, with Betty and rested.

"Are you guys okay?" Chris can back with the light.

"We're okay." Betty reassured Chris.  "But fuck, I forgot the passports.."

"Don't worry, I've got 'em." Chris patted his pocket.

We found the others waiting at the ladder.

"Buck! Buck!" I tried the radio with no response.  

"I'll check things out in the house." Chris offered.

"Okay, go for it!"

Chris climbed the ladder, "Okay, come up!" He called down to us.

"Mike! Mike! Do you copy?  Are you all okay?" Buck surprised me as I climbed the ladder.

"Yeah, I copy.  We're okay "

"Where are you?"

"We're In the house..  We were in the tunnel.  The panic room, and most of the tunnel were destroyed."

"Oh Jesus.. Look, I'll pick you guys up after dark." 

"Okay.." 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

"Wow!" Betty looked around. "Mike this house looks cleaner than I remember. I think we have squatters."

"There's noodles in the refrigerator if you're hungry." Mayumi flashed a guilty smile..

Chris grinned sheepishly. "There's clean sheets and blankets on the beds upstairs. If you guys want to get some sleep before Buck comes to get us."

Sara rolled her eyes. "Michael, I don't even want to know." She turned back to Brett. "Let's take the kids upstairs and try to get a little sleep."

"Mayumi." Betty laughed, "I love your blonde wig!"

"Thank you Betty, your black curly wig is adorable!"

"Yeah, she looks like my mom." I put an arm around Betty.  I was too stressed to really joke, but Betty and Mayumi had the look of women from a gone era.

Betty snuggled up with me. " Mike let's try and get some rest."

I couldn't sleep but it felt good to lie down for a little bit with Betty.

------------

The flash of the light through the window woke me from my half asleep - half awake state.  I heard the front door open and the patter of steps as somebody ran up the stairs.  

Our door burst open! Heidi stuck her head into the room.  "We're here! Get up!"  She didn't have to tell us twice.  

"Mike, Betty, get in the back seat!" Buck held the door for us. He looked stressed and scared.

Brett came out of the house carrying Jenny.  She was crying and almost squirmed out of his arms. "Daddy I wanna go home!"  She said a little too loudly.

"Shhh! You need to be quiet!" Brett tried to shush her.

"Honey, we're going to a new home where we can all be together again." Sara led the two boys by the hands.  She had tears in her eyes.

I felt a little sick.  What a wonderful way to get the family back together..  I wanted to get them through this.

The boys got in the front with Heidi.   Sara, Brett, and Jenny squeezed in with Betty and me. And Chris, and Mayumi graciously rode in the trunk.

"They've got me working overtime today filing in for an injured officer…" Buck exhaled hard. "Those two ATF agents who got shot... are still alive.." He exhaled again. "If you all got convicted of attempted murder you would go to prison for a long long time."

"I wanna go home." Jenny sniffled.

"Me too." I agreed.

"They burned your house." Buck exhaled again.  "I don't know what they're trying to achieve."

HONK! HONK! A car went careening around us.

"He just scraped the side of that car!" Heidi gasped. "And he's not stopping!  That's hit and run!"

"Pastor Martin." Buck said with disgust. "I can guess where he's going!"  He flipped on his siren and accelerated onto the freeway.

"You're chasing him?!" Sara cried out in disbelief.

"He's been on our case all day long.  He thinks we need to station police at the airport.." Buck wove his way through the traffic.  "He's obsessed with you guys." 

"So you're fucking chasing him -- with us in the car?!" Sara yelled.

"Yeah! If I lose him I lose him… But I'll get you to the airport."

"And what if you catch him?"

Buck flashed Sara a frustrated look. "I get out of the car and you guys get down so nobody can see you!" He went careening around a slow car.

"You're going to fucking get us all killed."

"Sara, just shut the fuck up!" Heidi glared back at her "We're doing the best we can!"

"See he's exitting for the airport." Buck followed Pastor Martin up the offramp.  

Pastor Martin ran the light at the top and Buck followed him through, siren whaling.

Pastor Martin didn't make it very far.  A tangle of taxis and people unloading their cars blocked his way.  Buck stopped behind him blocking him in.  Pastor Martin jumped out of the car and ran for the terminal.

"Okay, here's your chance!" Buck threw the door open and chased after Pastor Martin.  He was much faster and much more athletic.  He tackled Pastor Martin before he was even on the sidewalk.

Heidi turned off the siren. "Go! Go! Go! Go!"

The kids scrambled out Bucks open door, and we climbed out on that side too.

A couple of airport officers came out of the terminal to help, and Heidi ran around to the back of the car.  People saw Heidi open the trunk and help poor Chris, and Mayumi out, but they didn't seem to particularly care.  Or maybe the struggle between the officers and Pastor Martin was enough of a distraction.

We joined a crowd and headed into the terminal.    Betty's curly black wig looked like something out of the fifties, and Mayumi looked a little odd as a blonde, but nobody seemed to notice.  It felt surreal, we were actually in the airport!  We had a long walk to get to the International end of the terminal, but we were in the airport!  It was almost too good to be true..

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I haven't posted in a while, so I will post at least a little of what I'm working on.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We joined a crowd and headed into the terminal. Betty's curly black wig looked like something out of the fifties, and Mayumi looked a little odd as a blonde, but nobody seemed to notice. It felt surreal, we were actually in the airport! The terminal was packed. We had a long walk to get to the International end of the terminal..

There was a huge crowd of people in front of the American Airlines counter, but everyone was waiting for 'Economy', and 'Business'. I guided our group to 'First Class'.

"Hi, how much are one-way tickets?" I asked the black lady at the counter.

"They're a little over seven thousand each.. for adults. And for kids.. they're a little over five.."

"Great!"

The woman waved me close to her. "Pastor, it's good to see your alive!"

"Shh.." I nodded, "Its good to be alive. But we need to get out of here fast! We need six adults and three kids. And we have no luggage."

"Okay.. Passports please!" She typed everything in. "That comes to sixty thousand four hundred and ten."

I counted out the cash. "That leaves us almost fifteen thousand "

"Pastor, you have to declare anything over ten thousand."

"Okay..Thank you for the warning."

Brett looked at me anxiously

"Brett! Here! Have some money." I handed the cash to him. "Give everybody money!" 

"How much can I keep?"

"Less than ten thousand."

"How about I split it with Chris and Mayumi?"

"Sounds great!"

We got a few odd looks in the TSA lines -- maybe because of Betty, and Mayumi's wigs. And we literally ran through the airport when:"  Mike Prescott, party of nine, first class, now boarding at Gate twenty five.", played over the airport speakers.

We boarded anxiously. The other first class passengers appeared a little annoyed with the fussing kids -- but this was first class. They didn't care who we were! After a surprisingly delicious dinner the stewardesses brought the kids ice cream and they were all asleep in no time flat! If I wasn't so scared I would have really enjoyed the short little flight to Los Angeles.

I was horrified to find a woman from American Airlines waiting for us as we exitted the airplane at LAX.

"Mike Prescott party of nine?"

"Yes…"

"How are you doing? Would you like to relax and get something to eat at our Flagship lounge? You have a three hour layover."

"Sounds great!". 

Despite all of the flying I had done I had never flown first class. I'd always flown business. I had been in airline lounges but I had never been escorted to one.

"Uncle Mike!" Johnny tagged along with me. Brett and Sara carried the other two kids "Are we on vacation?" 

"Yes we are!"

"Are we going to go to Disneyland?!"

"As a matter of fact.. yes!"

"It's probably the best Disney park in the world." Our escort smiled approvingly.

"Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!!" Johnny beamed.

Betty leaned close to my ear. "Mike shutup! You're not being funny."

"We could go to Disneyland.."

"But we might not.. Don't promise something we can't deliver!"

"Okay.." I felt a little guilty as I watched Johnny skip along, ahead of us, behind our escort. "I was just trying to loosen the mood a little. At least we're back in California." 

"We were dealing with Federal agents." Betty whispered. "We're not out of jeopardy yet."

"This is our Flagship lounge." Our escort announced at the entrance. "I hope you enjoy the lounge. Please help yourselves to food and drink."

Brett, and Sara set the kids down and they ran ahead.

"Mike, what did you just tell Johnny?" Brett gave me an angry look.

"That we're on vacation and we"re going to go to Disneyland."

"Okay Mike.." Brett folded his arms, " I'll hold you to that. It's your nickel."

"If we make it.. I guarantee it!"

The kids were over at the floor to ceiling tilted glass windows that looked out at the airport.

"Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!!" Johnny called to Brett can we have food?!" He pointed to the buffet style Islands.

Brett looked at me.

"It's all free.. We're flying first class."

Brett sighed, "If we weren't in such a mess I would actually enjoy this, but I don't have much of an appetite."

"Me either.." I headed over to a table near the windows.

"Kids," I heard Brett say, ".. just this once you can have anything you like. But eat at least a little of something that is not dessert."

An old black lady at another table turned around and studied me with wide eyes.

"Misses Baker!" 

"Mike! I heard you all committed suicide!"

"Suicide? The ATF almost killed us! It was bad, but nobody died. We all got out."

Misses Baker covered her eyes with her hands. "I never thought it would come to this. What are we going to do about all of the families depending on our daycare?"

"Well.." I thought about it for the first time since we had run. "..Rachael created a website online. It has lists of the kids in each group. We can view their address, parents phone number, everything." I took a breath. " Look, if you can help me set up a daycare center I will finance them for the rest of the year."

Misses Baker nodded. "Let's do it! I will talk to you again in a day or two." She grabbed her purse and looked at her old style watch. "I've gotta go." She walked away surprisingly briskly.

• 2 weeks later...

"Mike was that Misses Baker?" Betty set a plate of food on the table.

"Yeah.." I glanced over at Mayumi who squatted behind a comfortable chair next to the wall and played with her phone as it charged. "Mayumi didn't..?"

"Shhh! Don't worry about her. Mike what did you discuss with Misses Baker?"

"She wants to set up an affordable daycare. I'm going to pay for the kids that were in our daycare... at least for the rest of the year."

Betty sighed,, "Mike we messed things up…. We didn't ultimately help anybody.."

Brett, Sara, and the kids had taken a table closer to the food. They flashed us occasional nervous glances as they ate.  

Betty snuggled up with me, "Mike... we're not going to be the stars of the shoe anymore."

"I know, but... They're keeping a little distance from us… Betty, when I got out of prison... I felt a little lost.." I snickered, "I guess I always rationalized that I was helping people. I wanted to feel like I was good person -- but I never really did..." I laughed, "In prison, the psychologists seemed to be intent on convincing me that I had done something wrong.  And they kind of succeeded.."

"We grow up, we move on." Betty shrugged. "Look, let's just focus on getting through this.. Mike are you afraid everyone is going to abandon you?"

"Yeah, I guess I am."

"Mike, you're not a bad guy." 

"And you're not a bad woman Betty."

Betty's eyes flashed with amusement. "Mike, I'm just like you. I hate it when something I like is over." She looked over at a TV on the wall. There was a news broadcast playing. It showed the charred remains of our church. "Mike, we need to keep a low profile and get ourselves out of here." She pointed towards Chris and Mayumi over at the buffet. "Let's get something to eat."

The kids were in great spirits when our American Airlines escort arrived to take us to our flight. We boarded without a problem. The first class section was relatively empty. We weren't in our own rooms but the large comfortable seats -- which reclined fully so you could sleep -- were semi-partitioned off by low curved walls.

Betty and I got seats in the middle. Johnny got a seat to my right. The stewardess had given him a Haugen Daus ice cream bar. He are it very slowly and carefully.

The senior pilot stopped next to my chair. "Mike?!" He whispered.

"Hi.." He looked familiar but I couldn't place him. His name tag read 'Gary'.

"Shhh!" He put a finger to his lips and continued on his way to the cockpit.

Betty nudged me with her elbow. "What did he say?" She whispered.

"He called me Mike.."

"I think I recognize him from that first singles thing we held."

"You do? Wow Betty, you've got a better memory than I do!"

Betty rolled her eyes, "You were probably more interested in the women. He was wearing a brown suede sports coat."

"Okay.., I think I do remember him."

Betty smirked, "He's wearing a ring on his finger now."

I held my breath as we taxied out to the runway. "That was quick! Do you think we had something to do with it?" . 

Betty grinned, "Maybe!"

"Well maybe we didn't screw everything up for everybody." The acceleration of the airplane, pulled me back into my seat.

"And we're going to make it!" Betty smiled at me. "Mike you're not so bad. You're not like my step-father, you actually care about people."

"Sir?" The stewardess addressed me awkwardly. She had an anxious look on her face, and I instantly knew she had been listening to us. She handed me a menu and went to work preparing my table. "Could I get you champagne?"

"Yes.. Thank you!"

Betty leaned towards me. "I think she heard everything."

"Too late now.."

A second stewardess followed our stewardess as she approached with the champagne. She whispered something to our stewardess and headed for the cockpit.

"Are we in trouble?" I stupidly asked.

"No, there's a problem back in economy class." The stewardess filled my glass with champagne."

"Is there a fight?!" Johnny asked excitedly.

"No," The stewardess grinned, "..just a passenger being difficult."

"Mike.." Gary, said my name as hurried down the aisle past me. 

"Gawd Betty, I hope they don't have to turn the plane back for this guy." I stood up.

"Mike, sit down!" Betty said angrily.

"No.."

"Mike, no!" Betty pulled off her wig, and threw it at me as I headed down the aisle. "It's none of your business!" She chased after me.

"Mike, stop! Please!" Mayumi called after us.

"Sir! Sir!!" Our stewardess chased after me. "You have to stay in first class!"

"Give me a minute!" I made my way through business class with Betty and Mayumi following. Betty was a bit conspicuous with her pink hair.

"Sir, he paid for two seats." I heard Gary talking to the man.

"Yeah, but couldn't he have take two seats over here?"

"Sir, we like to put strong young people near the exit doors."

"What are the odds that he'll ever need to open that door?! Look my wife's parents are in their ninties and this is a long hard flight!"

"Tom!" I poked my head into economy.

"Mike?! Pastor Mike?!!" Tom gasped, "You're alive!"

Betty snickered behind me. "Those ATF agents were totally incompetent! We're all alive "

"You're the bunch from that church in Louisiana that had the standoff with the ATF?" A man in one of the front seats asked.

"There was no standoff.." I found that as irritating as the suggestion that we had committed suicide. "We didn't have any guns or anything, we were just running a daycare."

Tom nodded, "I was one of the preschool teachers." He turned back to me. "Mike, we were held for hours at the police station. They wanted to know about your guns. It got intense. I don't think we were supposed to leave but I got scared when they claimed you guys had committed suicide."

Betty sighed loudly, "Tom, we'll trade seats with your wife's parents."

"Can they do that?" Tom asked Gary.

"It works for me." Gary grinned broadly. He turned quickly, "Mayumi!" He almost ran right into her. "Wow, that is some purple hair!" 

"Yeah.. uh sir, Tom and Misako can trade seats with us too."

"Okay.." Gary nodded.  

"Thank you Mayumi!" Tom got up eagerly.

"You're welcome!" Mayumi smiled, "Brett, and Sara, and the kids are up in first class."

"Sir, is that a keyboard?" Mayumi pointed at something in the stewardess's compartment.

"Yeah!" Gary snickered, "The dumbest idea ever! That keyboard was part of a karaoke system. The airlines went through a phase.."

"Com'on play us a song!" The man in the front seat encouraged.

Gary shrugged, "It's okay with me -- so long as the other passengers want it. But keep it relatively low." 

The stewardess took the microphone, "Excuse me, how many of you would like to hear a song by these musicians?"

There was a unanimous show of hands.

"I could probably get into trouble for this -- but why not?". The stewardess set up the keyboard, and a microphone for Betty

• 3 weeks later...

"I could probably get into trouble for this -- but why not?". The stewardess set up the keyboard, and a microphone for Betty.

Mayumi warmed up on the keyboard and started playing

"I remember when," Betty sang.

"I remember, I remember when I lost my mind

There was something so pleasant about that place  

Even your emotions have an echo in so much space  

And when you're out there without a care

Yeah, I was out of touch

But it wasn't because I didn't know enough

I just knew too much

Does that make me crazy?

Does that make me crazy?

Does that make me crazy?

Possibly."

Betty was really good, and Mayumi was pretty amazing on the keyboard.  The smiles on the passengers faces told me she had chosen the right song.  She followed with 'Sweet Dreams'.

A few of the passengers applauded quietly.  Perhaps the Japanese were just more reserved, but they did appear impressed.  Two songs were more than adequate.

Betty was just as tired as me and she fell asleep -- almost on top of me -- just after sitting down.  By the time I woke up we were more than halfway across the Pacific.  I usually find flights difficult to sleep on but this was an exception.

We were only an hour from Japan when the stewardess nudged me awake for the last meal.  The food wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either.

----------

"Well we made it." I told Betty. I watched the other passengers get their carry-ons out of the overhead compartment.  It felt a little weird that we didn't have any.

"I always wanted to visit Japan." Betty stood up and stretched.

Mayumi smiled, "Here we go.  Welcome to Japan!"

Chris gave us a sheepish expression, "I never imagined I'd end up moving to Japan."

Mayumi rolled her eyes as she followed us out of the plane, "I never imagined I would be moving back."

"Never say never." I looked around as we exited the ramp. A group of tense serious looking Japanese businessmen in black suits stood ahead of us off to the right side.  "Look Betty, a welcoming committee!" I said sarcastically.

One of the men approached me, "Mike Anderson?" 

"Fuck.." Betty groaned, "It is a welcoming committee.."

Mayumi smiled and said something to the man in Japanese.  He responded in very stern Japanese. "Mr Anderson," He turned to me. "..the four of you will come with us." Suddenly we were surrounded by airport police in addition to the men in suits. 

We walked past Tom and Misako who were waiting in the customs line with Brett and Sara, and their kids.  Johnny started to make a move towards us but Sara stopped him.

Outside we were loaded into two police cars.  The men stood outside the cars and talked while we waited.

"Betty do you have your phone?"

Betty nodded.  She pulled her phone out of her purse, put the battery into it, and handed it to me.

I dialed quickly and felt a little relief as the call went through.

"Hello?"

"Hello Ben? This is Mike Anderson."

"Mike?! Jesus Christ, is this a fucking joke?!"

"What's that Ben?  You've become a Christian?"

"Mike, you fucking idiot, how are you still alive?"

"I don't know.. We all are.. Ben, We're in Tokyo.  They were waiting for us when we stepped off the plane.  Betty, and I are in the back of a police car.  Ben I think we're gonna need money to get out of this."

"Out of what,Mike?  You didn't commit any crime in Japan."

"Well.. we might have fake passports.."

"Mike, you're seeking asylum in Japan?"

"Yeah.. we didn't have a lot of time to think about it."

"Ok, well...now we can move forward with the Mall without having to worry about your bodies."

"Yeah, our bodies would have been a real inconvenience, not to mention the funeral arrangements."

"What funeral?" Ben asked sarcastically.

"Yeah.. that's cold Ben.  Seriously I think we're going to have to buy our amnesty here."

"What about the ATF agents who got shot?"

"The ATF shot them.  Ben, it's all on video.  We upgraded the surveillance system at the church so that there was an internet connection..  It's all stored on the Cloud."

"Well you'd better get ahold of that and make copies!"

-----------

The four of us, were led into a relatively small room and seated on one side of the table.

"Mike Anderson?". The serious man, who'd intercepted us at the airport, addressed me.

"Yes?"

"Mayumi told me you rose from the dead and came to Japan to save the heathen Japanese from eternal damnation."

"She is correct!"

He rolled his eyes. "Well in that case we're going to have to send you back." 

I took a breath and exhaled.  "How much is it going to cost?"

"A couple million each." He joked, and eyed us with amusement.  He seemed to be trying to size us up -- they all did.. "Many people use religion to hide from reality."

"I don't disagree.  I heard a Christian pastor argue that people use God to hide from God.  I think the truth is that they use God to hide from reality -- to hide from things that they don't want to deal with, or don't know how how to deal with."

"Are you religious?"

I pulled up my sleeve so he could see my tattoo.

"What is that?"

"My 'Atheist Scum' tattoo.  I got it in prison."

Mayumi burst out laughing, "I thought Chris and I were the only fakers!"

Betty stuck out her tongue.

I shrugged my shoulders.  "I preached whatever I felt like preaching."

"He didn't hold back!" Betty laughed.  "We got a huge following."

"The US is not like the rest of the world.  Everyone works , but the grandparents don't take care of the kids. And it's not just the families that are less connected -- it's the whole community." I grinned,  "We brought people together."

The man nodded, "Japan is going in the same direction.." He frowned, "But why did people try to kill you." 

Betty made a face, "Christianity -- religion -- isn't necessarily about trying to help anyone. It's about money, it's about power, it's about control.  They had their own agendas."

"We were messing things up for the other big established churches." I explained. "The people were dropping out of their churches and coming to ours -- especially after we started our daycare program for the kids."

The man grinned, "We can work something out."

-----------

Welcome to Shionohara.." Mayumi exhaled.

"Why are you so gloomy?" Chris frowned.  "It's beautiful!"

Mayumi didn't say anything..

"Mayumi, they didn't have to grant us asylum.." I looked around at the scenic deserted little mountainous village.  "At least they're not sending us back to the US. And I didn't have to pay eight million..."

"Thanks Mike, you're the fucking negotiator.." Mayumi shook her head and looked around at the tiny little village. ".My mom probably wouldn't have divorced my dad if he hadn't forced her to come here and take care of his parents.  So he inherited the fucking house.  Big fucking deal!" Mayumi wiped the tears out of her eyes. "My dad fucking left it just as soon as my mom divorced him!  I never planned on fucking coming back here.."

"Well we agreed to move here." I saw on old lady peek out a door at us. "And I'm super rich.  We can do anything."

"Like get more people to come here?" Mayumi asked.

"Why not?"

-----------

"On the third day we rose again!" Mayumi grinned madly as she opened the video. 

Chris, Betty, and I squeezed in front of the camera.  "Greetings from Japan!"

"Yes, we are all very much alive." I took over.  "My apologizes about the daycare program.  We still have the lists of the children in the program and we will cover those kids daycare for the rest of the year.  

I don't imagine that we're going to be able to return to the US -- but we intend to fund a large daycare center in Saint Joe to replace the church."

"Look.." Betty sighed, "..we really do sincerely apologize for the way things went.  We never intended to put anybody in danger.  We didn't appreciate what we were getting into."

I nodded, "I will use this channel to give budgeting, and Investment advice, however.. we have decided to end our Christian ministry.."

"And if you need to contact us.." Mayumi cut in, ".. we are in the.. um.. 'hamlet' of Shionohara, in Minamiaizu, in Fukushima prefecture.  Don't worry about the nuclear power plant!  That has all been cleaned up!! And you can get a palace here for next to nothing -- or literally nothing!  These abandoned homes are called Akiya." She paused for a second.  "You are welcome to visit anytime you want!"

"Brilliant Mayumi." Betty snickered. "Now our enemy's will come and get us."

"Leave it in." Chris groaned, "We're no threat to anybody up here."

Not surprisingly our video went viral.  We were condemned by the US President, the Catholic Pope, and a variety of religious leaders from around the globe, not to mention a whole slew of psychologists who labeled me a 'dangerous narcissist'.  Maybe I was?

We weren't able to to get together with Brett, Sara, and the kids,  at Disneyland, but I wired them enough money to cover a week long vacation there.

We heard from Heidi that Buck had gotten temporarily suspended for arresting Pastor Martin.  He was brought back after Pastor Martin got into a fatal one car accident.  

Heidi and Rachael got jobs at Misses Bakers new daycare, and Ben Waller made use of Chris's crew in the cleanup and preparations for the new Mall.  He promised them the Mall contract as well

Brett and Sara wanted to start an english immersion school.  Betty, and I agreed to fiance them.  Sara and Brett insisted that they would pay us back.  They made it clear that they weren't seeking charity.

--------

Shionohara wasn't as lonely as I had expected.  We introduced ourselves to our elderly neighbors with gifts purchased in Minamiaizu.  Mayumi explained our situation, and told them that we were rich. As a gift to the village we made any changes, or improvements that they asked us to.

The framework of our akiya was superb, but the walls were thin and uninsulated.   I had personally done a lot of remodeling work, so I worked along with the crews we hired.  Our neighbors came over to watch just about every step of the renovation.

Things got more interesting when News stations showed up to interview us.  We got worldwide publicity.  Then -- out of nowhere -- people started to pour into Shionohara.

Betty had been wrong, we were never going to be regular people again.  Rumor had it, that we had started a whole new brand of Christianity in the US.  

Investors came to Shionohara seeking seeking my advice.  Musicians, and entire bands, moved in, and sought out Betty, and Mayumi's help.  Artists set up shop, and entire families of expats brought children into our mountainous village.

It wasn't long before every available akiya had been sold, and new construction had began.  We had the money to do just about anything we wanted to, and there weren't many regulations in Shionohara.  So we basically just did whatever we wanted to.

It was oddly very gratifying.  In a few months Betty would give birth, and Mayumi wasn't far behind.  The investment group was fun, the Church filled me with a sense of power -- but the town -- the town made me feel like a king.  

How could we -- of all people --  serve as an inspiration to so many?  As Misses Baker liked to say; "The Lord works in mysterious ways".

THE END

• Like 3