Is anyone here a musician?

Eliminature

i play the keyboard, not professionally, just as a hobby, im not very good, ive never bothered to learn to play properly. I got up to grade 3 at school, and then GCSE's got in the way and i gave it up to concentrate on the learning.Part of it is my hands are just too small and i dont have a lot of dexterity in my hands. But i do like decent keyboardswith good sounds and rhythms, so i have a Tyros 5 which cost me nearly 4 grand.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I have the basics of reading music, just about. Treble and bass. Don't ask me about the alto or tenor scale, though! I can sight read, but practice is helping me to get better. I'm using my metronome too and getting better. Reading and playing is one thing, getting the timings and rhythm precise is a whole new skill.

I also strum a ukulele and throw chords together on an acoustic guitar just for the fun of it, but piano/keyboard is my main instrument. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Christin said:

Hello, yes I play an instrument but when I tell you what kind, everyone thinks I'm crazy!🙃🤗

But tell me what kind of pieces? I'm curious!

Ok, for many years and now starting again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XF4Qwd5rso&list=RD8XF4Qwd5rso&index=1

Not sure why anyone would think that you were crazy for playing bass, it's a perfectly legitimate instrument. Good on you. 👍🏻

I play simple pieces by Bach and Kabalevsky - just beginner's stuff, really. I'm better with Bluesy stuff. I've only been learning with a teacher for about five months, but he's pleased with my progress. He has also taught me a few of the pieces that Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones and Ray Manzarek of the Doors would have played. 

• Love 2

@Eliminature do you have a goal or a target for something you would like to be able to play? When I was learning I was kept motivated by wanting to play Turkish March by Mozart. It took me a while to get there but when I finally did it I felt like I had won the lottery. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, Sophie said:

@Eliminature do you have a goal or a target for something you would like to be able to play? When I was learning I was kept motivated by wanting to play Turkish March by Mozart. It took me a while to get there but when I finally did it I felt like I had won the lottery. 

If my lovely music teacher sees this, I'll be outed immediately but I'm learning (amongst other things) Riders on the Storm by The Doors. One of my favourite songs. 

Edited by Eliminature
Correcting a typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • 1 month later...

I played piano in my youth, coronet in concert band, and since I've retired (2.5 years ago), I took up learning guitar (both acoustic and electric). I was too busy in my youth playing ball, chasing girls, and drinking beer with my buddies to have taken my music training seriously.... much to my regret. However, I do enjoy learning a new instrument now- even at my age.

• Like 1

I play guitar mainly but dabble with keyboards and have written music and S.F.X routines for the Commodore64, Playstaion1 and PC - also played the bugle in the Boys Brigade when I was a kid,  I've tries to play wind instruments since like flute and recorder even harmonica but I just haven't got the lungs for it anymore - especially now I have so called 'Long Covid'.

2 hours ago, Jason Basin said:

I've tries to play wind instruments since like flute and recorder even harmonica but I just haven't got the lungs for it anymore - especially now I have so called 'Long Covid'.

Take it easy mate. Hope your lungs recover eventually.

12 hours ago, Kupar said:

Wow. Yes, we don't really understand this thing do we, but it's clearly nasty.

Yes - I'm a member of longcovidsos.org but it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere!  As far as I know we're trying to get a petition together to send to Boris!  The thing is - The only people talking about long covid are people who have it!!!!!!!  Even some GP's are dismissive of it - like a lot of people they think it's just anxiety and is all in the head!  It's so patronizing.  I've heard of some people who have gone to their GP and the best thing they have been given is a pamphlet on breathing exercises!  To be frank it's a joke!

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 11:01 AM, Eliminature said:

Throughout lockdown, the only thing that has been keeping me anything close to sane is my music practice. I'm an amateur pianist. At the moment, I'm working on some classical pieces as well as popular blues melodies. My music teacher is excellent. 

Does anyone else here play an instrument? Do tell! I'd love to hear about it. What is your instrument? What pieces do you play?

Low brass here. Jazz is my fav style

• 2 weeks later...