Fun with bladder function checks

Kupar

I decided that I need to check that my pee frequency and volume. I’ve been worried for a while about getting up in the night (I worry I go too often), and reducing volume and force. But how could I do this and have fun too? Peeing into a measuring jug for a week was going to be tedious.

But … my wife K decided to keep me company, which has made it a whole lot more interesting! For a start, she hadn’t weed into a jug before, and it has been great watching her and encouraging her … her aim is getting better (more’s the pity – I don’t mind in the least cleaning up after her).

I haven’t had much opportunity until today to watch her peeing really closeup: so much to take in! K’s been a bit self-conscious, and while she isn’t getting turned on, she knows what it does to me 😉

For the weird and nerdy among you (I know there are some) I am analysing the data and there will be charts. One to start with (my data) … with more as the week progresses for the terminally bored among you (including comparisons between me (I’m D in the charts) and K – already looking ‘interesting’). Our MBTW (Mean Time between Wees) is looking the same so far ... but as we go through the night I expect mine to become lower. The variation in K's wee volume is much greater than mine (125-500ml for K; 240-340ml for me).

By the way, I checked what’s considered a “normal” range for number of pees per day, and

“A normal bladder can hold between 400 ml and 600 ml of urine. On average, people normally empty their bladder four to seven times per day. However, this can vary from person to person.

“The normal range for 24-hour urine volume is 800 – 2000 ml per day (with a normal fluid intake of about 2 l per day). The examples above are common measurements for results of these tests. Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories.

“The volume of urine passed each time by a normal adult will vary from around 250 – 400 ml. Most people with normal bladder habits can hold on for 3-4 hours between visits to the toilet. Most younger adults can also go right through the night without the need to pass urine.”

Picture1.png

• Like 4

Interesting....  the geek in me has started considering how other forms of the graph may look and the information they would provide.

Maybe a graph that starts from the first 7am pee after waking (assuming the bladder is emptied at that point) then some sort of integral graph showing the steadily rising bladder volume as a growth from zero to the volume of pee at say 11am, then climbing from zero again until the volume peed at 12:30 and so on.  Against that you could compare the drinks taken - seeing if the bladder volume equals those, whether your kidneys function quicker at different times of the day - or for that matter depending what you'd had to drink.

Out of interest whilst working from home sometime this week I may try for myself...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Interesting....  the geek in me has started considering how other forms of the graph may look and the information they would provide.

Maybe a graph that starts from the first 7am pee after waking (assuming the bladder is emptied at that point) then some sort of integral graph showing the steadily rising bladder volume as a growth from zero to the volume of pee at say 11am, then climbing from zero again until the volume peed at 12:30 and so on.  Against that you could compare the drinks taken - seeing if the bladder volume equals those, whether your kidneys function quicker at different times of the day - or for that matter depending what you'd had to drink.

Out of interest whilst working from home sometime this week I may try for myself...

I have *lots* of charts on the go... Let's compare at some point during the week when I have more source data 🙂

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Metalcrue said:

Very interesting read. 

I guess I'm not normal. Haha. I once measured my pee volume and found that I could manage roughly 1250-1500ml in one go. 

Although I drink around 5+ litres of fluid each day. 

That is impressive. Have you met @Bladderlad?

• Like 1

Interesting study.  I also think I should monitor my intake and outflow at some point as I definitely pee more than 7 times in 24 hours, sometimes as much as once per hour for parts of the day, but then again I also drink considerably more than the average 2L of liquid.  I have never really counted up how much liquid, but it is often 5 or 6 large mugs of tea (guessing 400ml each) plus at least 5 x 500 ml glasses of water so that is around 5L of liquid.  I probably pee around 10 times a day about 500ml each but it would be interesting to actually take a log and see what it actually is. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

Interesting study.  I also think I should monitor my intake and outflow at some point as I definitely pee more than 7 times in 24 hours, sometimes as much as once per hour for parts of the day, but then again I also drink considerably more than the average 2L of liquid.  I have never really counted up how much liquid, but it is often 5 or 6 large mugs of tea (guessing 400ml each) plus at least 5 x 500 ml glasses of water so that is around 5L of liquid.  I probably pee around 10 times a day about 500ml each but it would be interesting to actually take a log and see what it actually is. 

By the end of Friday I will have a full week of data (in and out) for me, and three days' worth for K (my wife). And I can already tell you (a) her bladder is bigger than mine, (b) my bladder is on the small side of normal range, (c) we drink more and pee more at the weekend. It's quite a faff recording the intake and output, but now I've started ...  Also, it excludes liquids such as milk on breakfast cereal, and the time for intake is the time I finish (so if I nurse a pint for half an hour, it's recorded as the end of the half-hour). But you're free to do what you want - of course!

Edited by Kupar
typos

OK. My weekend intake and output. Some conclusions. If I didn't have anything to drink after 9pm, and make sure I wee just before going to bed, I probably wouldn't need to get up in the night. Derrr.

D weekend drink and wee cumulative.png

• Like 1

I realise charts are probably somewhat underwhelming - if not downright tedious for most (though there will ba a couple more later). So here's me peeing into a measuring jug, just to lighten the topic a little

Measuring.jpg

OK. This shows intake (all drinks but not milk on breakfast cereal etc) and output for me over six consecutive days (starting last Saturday). Reset to zero before the first drink of the morning (so the wees in the early hours are counted in the previous day's cumulative totals. What does it tell me? Curiously, my drinking and weeing gradually went down every day from Saturday to Tuesday, then went back up. No idea why. That intake and output don't match exactly each day (we breath out damp air, we hold some liquid in our bladder, our blood volume varies). I drink between 2 litres and 3.3 litres of liquid a day.

image.thumb.png.46768136521f7252b73ce8c1f62c5cdb.png

And the chart below compares the average (mean) daily wee volumes (the blobs on the chart) for me and my wife K. The lines show the max and min single-wee volumes during each day. (The day here is 00:00 - 24:00.)

image.png.0bbf854813c2b3dc7ad936c92f67f3b7.png

This shows that she typically wees more than me when she goes ... and that her max capacity is *way more* than mine! Remember, we weren't deliberately trying to hold during the week - this was just 'normal' non-kinky behaviour. (On Monday, by the way, K was working in the office and declined to take the measuring jug with her.) My average wee volume is pretty small, but probably nothing to be worried about.

Any questions?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, PissDude said:

I'd be interested in some kind of volume vs need ratio. Like the difference in volume between "I should probably take a leak because it's a convenient time" versus "It's going to happen one way or the other."

I would have to do this as a separate project, but yes, it would be interesting. I'm sure the patterns would be very different. Maybe I'll do it 🙂

• Like 2
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, capacitylover said:

did you ever compare max. capacity holds? Would be interesting to know what data would come out 🙂

We didn't. Might still do it. I would have to talk nicely to K. It would probably be a one-off experiment .

• Like 1

The geek in me so desperately wants to gather similar data for his curiosity! I'd have to do this on a day I'm home alone, but fear I would go overboard like I sometimes do....

I don't have any opportunity to compare against my wife - although it would be very interesting.  She either has a drastically bigger bladder than me or a much slower functioning system. I can often need to pee several times between one visit for her.

Recently when I've been working from home I've been keeping a little eye on my output, although it can't be described as anything scientific.

The main decider is really whether I drink caffeinated drinks - and as a coffee addict that's pretty much every day.  I don't measure every pee, but I know from the times I have that on those times when it's a convenience pee (just about to go out and don't want to hold so go for a pee now) it'll be 300ml.  The same exactly an hour after a mug of coffee, when I'll get hit by a sudden urge - and that will be 300ml too.

Apart from that, if Ive drunk a couple of pints of juice and been keeping myself busy for an hour or two, getting to that point where an urge comes and goes, then becomes constant and painful, with the risk of leaking. At that point I've never released more than 500ml - and not much less either.  So I guess that's me.

• 1 year later...
On 11/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, Kupar said:

OK. This shows intake (all drinks but not milk on breakfast cereal etc) and output for me over six consecutive days (starting last Saturday). Reset to zero before the first drink of the morning (so the wees in the early hours are counted in the previous day's cumulative totals. What does it tell me? Curiously, my drinking and weeing gradually went down every day from Saturday to Tuesday, then went back up. No idea why. That intake and output don't match exactly each day (we breath out damp air, we hold some liquid in our bladder, our blood volume varies). I drink between 2 litres and 3.3 litres of liquid a day.

image.thumb.png.46768136521f7252b73ce8c1f62c5cdb.png

And the chart below compares the average (mean) daily wee volumes (the blobs on the chart) for me and my wife K. The lines show the max and min single-wee volumes during each day. (The day here is 00:00 - 24:00.)

image.png.0bbf854813c2b3dc7ad936c92f67f3b7.png

This shows that she typically wees more than me when she goes ... and that her max capacity is *way more* than mine! Remember, we weren't deliberately trying to hold during the week - this was just 'normal' non-kinky behaviour. (On Monday, by the way, K was working in the office and declined to take the measuring jug with her.) My average wee volume is pretty small, but probably nothing to be worried about.

Any questions?

Do you have the individual pee data for you and K on this one?  It looks like you are very consistent, while K has wildly varying amounts.  Does this have to do with toliet accessability?  Maybe K cannot find a suitable toilet or place and is forced to hold and also pees before going out.

1 hour ago, DoctorDoctor said:

Do you have the individual pee data for you and K on this one?  It looks like you are very consistent, while K has wildly varying amounts.  Does this have to do with toliet accessability?  Maybe K cannot find a suitable toilet or place and is forced to hold and also pees before going out.

I am afraid that the source data isn't available, having been lost during a catastrophic laptop failure 🙁

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Kupar said:

I am afraid that the source data isn't available, having been lost during a catastrophic laptop failure 🙁

Thanks!  Sorry to hear about the laptop failure.  I have been there.

May be an excuse to for you and K to collect more data together. 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Peewee123 said:

I'm quite tempted to give this a go, especially after my UTI as things definitely seem a bit different right now!

Different good or different bad?  You should definitely give it a go if you are curious and want to know.

17 minutes ago, Peewee123 said:

My capacity and flow rate is WAY down!

😲 (suprised emoji) Wow, did you measure or are you estimating?  Care to share? Maybe a bad estmation or outlier measurement.  Did you try a couple times?  Hopefully if it is really down, it goes back to normal soon.

Edited by DoctorDoctor
missing word
  • Like 1
Just now, DoctorDoctor said:

😲 (suprised emoji) Wow, did you measure or are you estimating?  Care to share? Maybe a bad estmation or outlier measurement.  Did you try a couple times?  Hopefully if is really down, it goes back to normal soon.

I haven't measure I can just tell. Before I could do a powerful pee for quite some times and knew a fair amount was coming out. Now I kinda dribble on and off and only for like 10 seconds and I am done. It is quite a drastic difference. And I have been a day with no need to go!

• Hug 4