The PeeFans Sports Club

1 hour ago, ShyPeeMan said:

Due to issues at home I now don't get out much but I did manage to bike to work this morning 🙂 Better than nothing I suppose

It all counts 🙂. Well done!

7 hours ago, harry_jones_1975 said:

I would be over the moon if I got anywhere near that pace on my 5ks.  Wave on your way past mine. I know a female friend of mine is also is in that race. 

I'll wave from time to time then Harry. People may think I'm odd but I don't care 😊. And good luck to your friend!

• Like 1
Guest ShyPeeMan

Managed a 4 mile run this morning. Nice to get out and clear my mind, if only for a little while.

Does anyone else use exercise to help them relax and de-stress or is it just for physical fitness?

41 minutes ago, ShyPeeMan said:

Does anyone else use exercise to help them relax and de-stress or is it just for physical fitness?

Running is important to me from a mental as well as physical health perspective. And I've often found that I can solve work problems while running, and formulate messages to people in my head during a run. It's much more than just cardiovascular fitness 😊

4 hours ago, ShyPeeMan said:

I use cycling to relax and de-stress more than anything else. The fitness is nice but it's not the main reason I do it except for when I'm training for a triathlon or something. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Sophie said:

I use cycling to relax and de-stress more than anything else

I think watersports might work too. You'll have to provide a video though just for educational purposes. 🤣

56 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Canoeing ?  Paddle boarding? Kayaking ?

This is general chat after all….  🤣

I was referring to canoeing of course. What did you think I meant? 🤣

• Haha 2
Guest ShyPeeMan
16 hours ago, Sophie said:

I use cycling to relax and de-stress more than anything else. The fitness is nice but it's not the main reason I do it except for when I'm training for a triathlon or something. 

I've always wanted to try a triathlon, guess theres a lot of training involved

On 3/14/2022 at 4:20 AM, ShyPeeMan said:

I like the idea of triathlon, but there are two things that put me off: first, the swimming (because it's the first thing you do and my technique is poor I would be completely exhausted by the end of it, so I'd have nothing left for the other two parts) and second, the cycling: I've never had a road bike with clipless pedals / cleated shoes and I would have to learn a completely different technique - and I get put off when I see people who are really good at cycling and the scary speeds they go). But the running would be OK 🙂 

Guest ShyPeeMan

@Kupar It's the swimming side for me, I'm not a good swimmer and don't get much time to go.

Clipless pedals do take some getting used too. Most people fall off their bikes while stationary till they get used to it. I did, much to the amusement of the oncoming traffic.

21 minutes ago, ShyPeeMan said:

@Kupar It's the swimming side for me, I'm not a good swimmer and don't get much time to go.

Clipless pedals do take some getting used too. Most people fall off their bikes while stationary till they get used to it. I did, much to the amusement of the oncoming traffic.

I think I'm probably happy just doing my leisurely summer river swimming, and my pootling about cycling in the flat lands of the fens 🙂. Still a little cold for the first of those for me, but it is probably time to get out on the bike again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Northern_pee said:

I absolutely love sports and where I live happens to be great for it. I freestyle ski and have competed for the past 5 years. I also mountain bike and play soccer for college. 

Wow! A lot of sports there 🙂 How's the college doing? Do you play in a league? 

On 3/14/2022 at 4:20 AM, ShyPeeMan said:

On 3/20/2022 at 2:19 PM, ShyPeeMan said:

There's a fair amount of training involved but it's not too bad depending on how competitive you are. If you are taking part in a triathlon just for fun you can relax on the training a little. 

Swimming is my worst part of the three. I enjoy swimming, I really enjoy it but the whole thing is a bit of a pain. I hate having to get changed, dry off etc. It's just a faff. Cycling is my best but that's mostly because I do it often to relax. I'm fairly good at the running, I used to represent my school in the 200m sprint and 100m hurdles and moved onto longer distance running when I left school because I could do it on my own. That led to half marathons and triathlons. I don't run as much as I should, if I only have an hour or two free I'd rather spend it on the bike. 

On 3/20/2022 at 11:57 AM, Kupar said:

I like the idea of triathlon, but there are two things that put me off: first, the swimming (because it's the first thing you do and my technique is poor I would be completely exhausted by the end of it, so I'd have nothing left for the other two parts) and second, the cycling: I've never had a road bike with clipless pedals / cleated shoes and I would have to learn a completely different technique - and I get put off when I see people who are really good at cycling and the scary speeds they go). But the running would be OK 🙂 

Clipless pedals aren't that bad really, you soon get used to them and it quickly becomes muscle memory. You can turn the tension right down so they unclip easily. I have only fallen with them once right outside my house. Just been for a ride, stopped next to my garden and unclipped my left leg like always... And leaned right. My husband was in the garden and asked if I was okay, I was laughing too much to answer him! 

• Love 2
Guest ShyPeeMan

@Sophie I'm quite competitive but not very quick lol. I want to try 1 more as a challenge to see if I can but my current home life just won't allow it. It'll be added to my "I'm never gonna be able to" wish list. As for the clipless, I think you're not a proper cyclist if you haven't fallen over trying to unclip....it's a right of passage lol

• 3 weeks later...

Posted my longest ever run to date yesterday. 16.51km or 10.25 miles

Sadly I was so dehydrated when I set off that even with emptying my running water bottle en route, stopping for a pee at my usual spot resulted in barely a double measure of very gold pee. I don't want to be so hydrated I have to stop every 20 minutes to go but this was ridiculous. 

• Like 2
  • Hug 1