The PeeFans Sports Club

You know those days when you set out to run with the best of intentions and before a mile is gone you're thinking "Hmm. It's just not right today. I have three options: I could stop now and walk home; I could carry on with my training plan and fail ignominiously; or I could change my plan and do something different." 

Today was one of those days, and I changed what I was doing. Still attempting to crank up the pace (rather than push out the distance) but with intervals rather than a fast five miles (which was the initial plan). 

Still, I was reasonably happy with four and a half spells of nearly-one-mile running at around 7m35s per mile interspersed with walking 0.1 mile in between those spells. And I think I managed to protect my right knee and right quad / IT band which had been feeling a bit dodgy when I set out. 

• Like 1

Well - I set out without a real plan...  other than one errand to run about half a mile from home.

And given I'd run out of excuses I figured I should dust off my road bike and give it a spin.  It's been a while - I'd completely forgotten which buttons to press on my Garmin, in fact I'm amazed it still had some charge left in it.   Better still I could remember how to clip in, and more importantly how to unclip.  My chain wasn't rusty and gears still worked slickly - not that I used many of the small ones.

Distance was a mere 8 miles / 13km in a time of about 38 minutes. And 358ft of elevation gained - but as the first ride since September last year it'll do.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
Guest ShyPeeMan
4 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Well - I set out without a real plan...  other than one errand to run about half a mile from home.

And given I'd run out of excuses I figured I should dust off my road bike and give it a spin.  It's been a while - I'd completely forgotten which buttons to press on my Garmin, in fact I'm amazed it still had some charge left in it.   Better still I could remember how to clip in, and more importantly how to unclip.  My chain wasn't rusty and gears still worked slickly - not that I used many of the small ones.

Distance was a mere 8 miles / 13km in a time of about 38 minutes. And 358ft of elevation gained - but as the first ride since September last year it'll do.

Doesn't matter how far or how fast you ride, just ride

2 hours ago, ShyPeeMan said:

Doesn't matter how far or how fast you ride, just ride

A few years ago I got myself reasonably fit cycling, up to pandemic - nothing too speedy but 60 mile sort of capability.  Then a bit of a medical concern and lockdown sort of led to it slipping. Now I’m back to square one - but not giving up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
Guest ShyPeeMan

@gldenwetgoose I rode for years but stopped when kids came along. Got back into it about 8 yrs ago and love it. Not only does it keep me physically fit but helps my head too. Good to relax with in a weird knackering way lol. Keep going at it and you'll get it back. Have you tried any sportives, they're good and it'll give you something to aim towards

Guest ShyPeeMan
On 1/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, Kupar said:

You know those days when you set out to run with the best of intentions and before a mile is gone you're thinking "Hmm. It's just not right today. I have three options: I could stop now and walk home; I could carry on with my training plan and fail ignominiously; or I could change my plan and do something different." 

Today was one of those days, and I changed what I was doing. Still attempting to crank up the pace (rather than push out the distance) but with intervals rather than a fast five miles (which was the initial plan). 

Still, I was reasonably happy with four and a half spells of nearly-one-mile running at around 7m35s per mile interspersed with walking 0.1 mile in between those spells. And I think I managed to protect my right knee and right quad / IT band which had been feeling a bit dodgy when I set out. 

I have them too. I find if my head goes, my legs soon follow. 

I'd be happy with your pace, it's quicker than me. Been running a year and my 5 km pb is 24:13 and 55:33 for 10k. That was my 1 n only 10k so far

4 minutes ago, ShyPeeMan said:

@gldenwetgoose I rode for years but stopped when kids came along. Got back into it about 8 yrs ago and love it. Not only does it keep me physically fit but helps my head too. Good to relax with in a weird knackering way lol. Keep going at it and you'll get it back. Have you tried any sportives, they're good and it'll give you something to aim towards

I started about three or four years ago to 'support' my wife when she wanted to get fit - and I stuck at it more.  We both did some of the British Cycling social rides and she's done the Breeze ladies only rides.  The group we were with used to do a mix of shorter and more challenging rides which was a motivator, and a couple of years ago I worked up to one of the charity 'Nightrider' 100km overnight rides.

Getting out of the routine has been partly a winter thing, major local roadworks causing problems on the local country lanes, but larger around a medical concern.  Now I'm thinking I'd like to get back to it and lose a few kg, but I'm very conscious of keeping control of heart rate whilst doing it. For the moment gentle rides at my own pace are perhaps the best option.

Thanks for the encouragement - it means a lot!

• Like 1
Guest ShyPeeMan
3 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

I started about three or four years ago to 'support' my wife when she wanted to get fit - and I stuck at it more.  We both did some of the British Cycling social rides and she's done the Breeze ladies only rides.  The group we were with used to do a mix of shorter and more challenging rides which was a motivator, and a couple of years ago I worked up to one of the charity 'Nightrider' 100km overnight rides.

Getting out of the routine has been partly a winter thing, major local roadworks causing problems on the local country lanes, but larger around a medical concern.  Now I'm thinking I'd like to get back to it and lose a few kg, but I'm very conscious of keeping control of heart rate whilst doing it. For the moment gentle rides at my own pace are perhaps the best option.

Thanks for the encouragement - it means a lot!

Do you have anything to show your heart rate?

Flat routes are best for keeping you HR down as it's less challenging

1 minute ago, ShyPeeMan said:

Do you have anything to show your heart rate?

Flat routes are best for keeping you HR down as it's less challenging

I've got a chest strap heart rate monitor that shows on my Garmin trip computer. Where I live has the option between gentle ups and downs and some bigger inclines, so there are definite options for keeping it fairly flat.  Previously my regular route was a commute to work two or so days a week of 12-15 miles each way, again mostly flat.

I used to ride long distance when I was much younger.   Most I did was 80 miles in a day, but I quite regularly did 50 miles.    These days I live in the South and I don't like the level of traffic round me, so my cycling these days is mainly on routes that go out onto rural land on byways etc.,   I don't often do many miles (and to be honest I don't track them) as it is off road and therefore not particularly fast, but usually cycling for about an hour or so either first thing in the morning or at lunch time.  I am just thinking something is better than nothing and I don't have time to go out on major expeditions these days.   I do find though that even a short period of time where I don't cycle means my muscles know about it when I go back to it!

• Hug 1
  • Love 1
Guest ShyPeeMan
58 minutes ago, Alfresco said:

I do find though that even a short period of time where I don't cycle means my muscles know about it when I go back to it!

I know that bit well. Fitness is hard to get and easily lost!

• 2 weeks later...

Another of those days when it wasn't really right, but I did get out for a run, and I'm glad I did, as it's now blowing a gale and I wouldn't want to be out. Supposed to be an 'easy 10 miles', but it turned into a mediocre 10k, then a few walk-run-walk-run intervals until the ten miles were up.

On the plus side, though, I heard the first skylarks this year, and also on the way back I found the glove I had dropped on the way out, swooping to pick it up mid-stride like a barn owl taking an unsuspecting vole.

Talking of gloves - what on earth was I doing anyway, wearing gloves and a hat and a long-sleeved top? It was sunny, and when I got back the thermometer was showing 15C! I ditched the gloves and hat straight away, and took the top off at 5 miles. I admit to chuckling a little at the disappointment of the cyclists overtaking me, because from a distance I must have looked vaguely like a woman running in tights and a strapless bra, rather than an ageing man in a chest strap lol!

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...

This afternoon was possibly the last training run before a half-marathon race on Sunday. Reasonably pleased with the pace of 8:00 mins / mile over 10k, so I reckon I might make my target finish time of about 1:50 (which would be 8:23 / mile for just over twice the 10k distance).

Knees are OK (yay!), but anyone got any tips for easing sore hip flexors? 

• Love 2
On 3/1/2022 at 5:56 PM, Kupar said:

This afternoon was possibly the last training run before a half-marathon race on Sunday. Reasonably pleased with the pace of 8:00 mins / mile over 10k, so I reckon I might make my target finish time of about 1:50 (which would be 8:23 / mile for just over twice the 10k distance).

Knees are OK (yay!), but anyone got any tips for easing sore hip flexors? 

I would be over the moon if I got anywhere near that pace on my 5ks.  Wave on your way past mine. I know a female friend of mine is also is in that race. 

• Thanks 1