Teach your adult kids to pee?

Certainly, years ago (15 years or more) I was questioning what other parents, neighbors or friends might think if I allowed, encouraged my boys to pee outside, as in the back yard, parks, alleys, ect. My first thought was mothering, parenting chat boards, where I search similar questions and ultimately asked my own. I always felt that I was probably one of very few moms who actually encouraged this sort of thing, but my research proved different. As I found, even half of mothers thought if perfectly fine for boys to pee outdoors and most (75% to 85%) tolerate them doing so. I also learned that most moms assume that guys pee in showers and floor drains, especially in locker rooms. I've had many moms through the years positively comment when they've noticed my boys going outside, wishing their boys would do so at times as well. I've also noticed that while most young men do pee outdoors and in other places, the vast majority are terrified to do so around their moms, or even have their moms find out they've done so. This fear seems to extend into adult boys as much as teens, which I find to be quite ironic, as many moms see nothing wrong with guys doing so.

Where, back yard, road side, parks, alleys, public showers, locker rooms, beach, pools.  Why, because it's more convenient for me and them, no looking for restrooms, no tracking into the house.

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Specter said:

From the perspective of an 'adult kid' -- I'm 18 -- my mother has always encouraged me to piss wherever I please, unless it directly harms someone, like peeing on someone's front door or their car or something. Because of all this, I've had quite a liberal attitude toward peeing in public and whenever I have to go, I whip it out. In fact, sometimes my mother also pees in public; usually, when we've both been out for a while and need a pee, we just find a spot and pee next to each other, my mother squatting and me standing right beside her. I'm curious -- does this happen with anybody else? Perhaps any of the mothers here? I doubt there are many people my age active on the forum...

I'm 23, so close to your age. I wish I had that kind of liberation growing up in regards to peeing. Is it mainly outdoors? Have you ever peed together in fitting rooms, or buses, or anywhere like that? Or would that count as directly harming someone? It seems like peeing with someone would make it more fun when you do have to go so I hope when I have kids that I can instill that same sense of freedom in them.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, 88mphArtist said:

I'm 23, so close to your age. I wish I had that kind of liberation growing up in regards to peeing. Is it mainly outdoors? Have you ever peed together in fitting rooms, or buses, or anywhere like that? Or would that count as directly harming someone? It seems like peeing with someone would make it more fun when you do have to go so I hope when I have kids that I can instill that same sense of freedom in them.

Mainly outdoors, yeah. We've peed together in fitting rooms, but only into cups that we then take out and dispose of. Buses, nope. We don't use buses; we get around by car and, yes, we pee in cups and bottles in our cars sometimes. Again, we never throw our cups irresponsibly, but yes, we do pee in them quite often in cars. Sometimes, when one of us is driving, the other holds the cup and helps to unzip/aim the driver into the cup while we go.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
On 10/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, beachmom said:

Certainly, years ago (15 years or more) I was questioning what other parents, neighbors or friends might think if I allowed, encouraged my boys to pee outside, as in the back yard, parks, alleys, ect. My first thought was mothering, parenting chat boards, where I search similar questions and ultimately asked my own. I always felt that I was probably one of very few moms who actually encouraged this sort of thing, but my research proved different. As I found, even half of mothers thought if perfectly fine for boys to pee outdoors and most (75% to 85%) tolerate them doing so. I also learned that most moms assume that guys pee in showers and floor drains, especially in locker rooms. I've had many moms through the years positively comment when they've noticed my boys going outside, wishing their boys would do so at times as well. I've also noticed that while most young men do pee outdoors and in other places, the vast majority are terrified to do so around their moms, or even have their moms find out they've done so. This fear seems to extend into adult boys as much as teens, which I find to be quite ironic, as many moms see nothing wrong with guys doing so.

Where, back yard, road side, parks, alleys, public showers, locker rooms, beach, pools.  Why, because it's more convenient for me and them, no looking for restrooms, no tracking into the house.

https://cafemom.com/news/mom-thinks-her-son-should-be-able-to-pee-outside-but-her-partner-disagrees

My family was quite outdoors-y and active so I learned to pee outside from an early age.  Usually this on camping & hiking trips so no issues with crowds, getting caught or finding a convenient spot.  Just step away and take care of your business.

We didn't have the interaction described by @Specter, just an understanding that it was ok to step away from the group when necessary.  The idea of doing with/in front of my family never occurred to me but we all grow up in different environments.  The level of comfort and and acceptance he describes is intriguing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
10 hours ago, beachmom said:

I'm not surprised, it's been my experience as well that most moms are more willing to let boys pee outside than are the dads, strange?

Well, I'm male, and if I ever had kids, I would encourage them to pee outside, regardless of if they were male or female.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, Ms. Tito said:

If I ever decide to have kids, and I sincerely doubt I ever will, I'll teach them to pee outside no matter what they identify as or whats between their legs. 

Well you never know what the future holds🙂. Either way raising them with that attitude your will a great parent

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, littlebladder said:

I feel the same. I don't have kids but I would be happy to let them pee outside if I did. Not in the middle of street, but behind a bush in a park, side of a trail on a hike or side of the car in a layby.

I don't understand those that say boys can but not girls. Girls can't hold on any longer than boys and it's just as uncomfortable when girls are desperate so why can't they pee if they have to?

If there's no toilet nearby and there's someone with a little bit of privacy, it's fine at any age, male or female i'd say.

Well said!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I just peed outside today, at the side of the road. A car drove past while I was peeing but it was dark so hopefully they didn't see anything. I'm usually very good about not exposing myself too much, which is an important part of peeing outside. 

Well, if you're not an exhibitionist, that is.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2020 at 9:25 PM, Ms. Tito said:

I just peed outside today, at the side of the road. A car drove past while I was peeing but it was dark so hopefully they didn't see anything. I'm usually very good about not exposing myself too much, which is an important part of peeing outside. 

Well, if you're not an exhibitionist, that is.

I really don't see why it would matter, there isn't anyone who hasn't seen a member of the opposite sex nude, we're often sharing locker rooms and such, so peeing along the side of the road shouldn't be any big deal to anyone.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
On 12/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, Bacardi said:

I've never ever peed outside before and my mom never encouraged it. Clearly I'm missing out though lol. I prefer peeing inside on carpet instead.

Do you encourage your kids to pee outside? It's a lot of fun for kids, my parents didn't like it but I would secretly do it every now and then. When i have kids, I'll encourage them to water the garden every day.

• Like 2
  • Love 1