What Kind Of Music Do You Like

It sounds so cliché to say that I listen to a wide range of music, but I do have an interest in quite a few genres. Having said that, rock is easily my favourite. Like Egwalrus, I'm not a fan of rap or hiphop. I'm also not into dubstep, reggae... well, the list could go on. The beauty of music is everyone has different tastes. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I failed to mention that, aside from the Beatles, Procol Harum is my all-time favorite band.  The younger people here may not have heard of them.  They were never a real successful commercial band, but were the pioneers of progressive rock.  That genre is extinct now and most of it sounds pretentious and dated today.  However, Procol Harum's music is timeless.

Their biggest hit was 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' in 1967.  Other better known songs are 'Conquistador,' 'A Salty Dog,' 'Simple Sister,' and 'Whisky Train.'  Give 'em a look see on youtube.  They still perform live with pianist/composer/singer Gary Brooker the only original member. 

(NOTE: No, I am not on Procol Harum's payroll.  LOL!)

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, 2prnot2p said:

I failed to mention that, aside from the Beatles, Procol Harum is my all-time favorite band.  The younger people here may not have heard of them.  They were never a real successful commercial band, but were the pioneers of progressive rock.  That genre is extinct now and most of it sounds pretentious and dated today.  However, Procol Harum's music is timeless.

Their biggest hit was 'A Whiter Shade of Pale' in 1967.  Other better known songs are 'Conquistador,' 'A Salty Dog,' 'Simple Sister,' and 'Whisky Train.'  Give 'em a look see on youtube.  They still perform live with pianist/composer/singer Gary Brooker the only original member. 

(NOTE: No, I am not on Procol Harum's payroll.  LOL!)

I LOVE Robin Trower

• Like 1

with me its more what i hate rather than i like.

I hate stuff like EMINEM(he shouts over a kind of musical backing).ALL what is known as "R&B",to me "R&B" is Carl Perkins,Chuck Berry etc,but nowadays its Kanye West,Snoop Dog ad nauseum....Anything that is the product of a "talent show" like X Factor etc...Basically anything produced post 1999..

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

with me its more what i hate rather than i like.

I hate stuff like EMINEM(he shouts over a kind of musical backing).ALL what is known as "R&B",to me "R&B" is Carl Perkins,Chuck Berry etc,but nowadays its Kanye West,Snoop Dog ad nauseum....Anything that is the product of a "talent show" like X Factor etc...Basically anything produced post 1999..

Fanny Watcher, I learned at a very early age that if someone is right, don't argue.  I couldn't agree with you more.  Rap is NOT music.  It's a drum machine with words 'spoken' over it, plain and simple.  No need for melody, harmony, musicianship, or... talent, for that matter!  Musically, we have regressed in the last 30 years. 

Oh boy, I'm gonna get some hate mail on this one!  So be it.  LOL!

• Agree 1
4 hours ago, Riley said:

I don't really have any music but I listen to a lot of indie songs. My favorite at the minute being take yours I'll take mine by Mathew mole

Riley, I don't know your age, but I assume you're young.  Do yourself a favour.  Download, borrow, or buy one Beatles album...either Rubber Soul or Revolver.  They're both wonderful.  Give them a few listens and then post back here when you're done.  Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

Im not a fan so much of the Beatles "middle period"66-68...great of course,but i think some of the Hard days night songs are as good as any they wrote.Then to me Abbey Road is their best work...

9 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Riley, I don't know your age, but I assume you're young.  Do yourself a favour.  Download, borrow, or buy one Beatles album...either Rubber Soul or Revolver.  They're both wonderful.  Give them a few listens and then post back here when you're done.  Thanks! 🙂

I love the Beatles! I've been listening to them ever since I was a little. I was like raised on the Beatles and across the universe.

• Like 1
On 11/3/2018 at 3:12 PM, Riley said:

I love the Beatles! I've been listening to them ever since I was a little. I was like raised on the Beatles and across the universe.

Ha ha @Riley - If you ever find yourself in the UK I'll take you on a personal tour of Liverpool - into the Cavern Club, to Penny Lane, the site of Strawberry Fields and more.

• Like 1