Things that annoy you when driving.

steve25805

What are the things that annoy you when driving?

For me it is people pottering along at 35-40mph where the limit is 60 and where doing 60 is perfectly safe. Such drivers do this without a thought to the long and ever growing queue of traffic behind them. No thought ever of pulling over to let others pass. I find this both arrogant and inconsiderate as well perhaps as a sign of lack of competence.

Also, those who interpret a 30mph speed limit as an instruction to do 20-25.

Those who hog the outside or middle lane on motorways.

Those who fail to pull out into the outside lane to let you out on motorway sliproads, forcing you either to accelerate out in front of them or break hard and try and come out behind them, neither of which is entirely without risk.

People who accelerate when you are overtaking them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Totally agree with all of those @steve25805 - I have a theory that the human brain when switched off has a 'reversionary mode' that drives a car in zombie mode at exactly 38mph.  Could be in a village, an inner city 20 limit or a national speed limit road.  And if the person is concentrating that little on the speed limit and road conditions, are they also going to react to a hazard?

Tied in with that another pet hate is when you see a pensioner limping with a walking frame from shop to car, like they can barely walk... to get into the driving seat.  I get that their independence and freedom is important - but if a child runs out, or whatever, do they have the physical strength to press the brake pedal?  Do they still have the competence to be in charge of a 38mph 2 tonne killing machine?

Another pet hate - when in a filter lane situation, like the end of a dual carriageway or a motorway lane closure - the people that won't merge but insist on forcing their way through to gain one position - and never give any thanks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
3 minutes ago, Merkus said:

My biggest pet peeve I deal with in California, people who SIT at a green light until it turns yellow. Now I can’t go and I was right behind you! GET OFF SNAPCHAT PEOPLE! You are driving a 2.5 ton truck near the beach!

Indeed - agreed.   Having driven the inevitable auto in the US and general driving manuals across Europe, I do tend to think (personal opinion, could be wrong) the auto leads to a more relaxed pace of driving.  The lights change, there's nothing to do but lazily eventually shift a foot off the brake and when you're ready, press the go pedal a bit, then a bit more and eventually start to move.

Here, in the UK at least maybe 60-70% of cars are manual and also out traffic lights have an amber 'get ready' light too.  People (or me at least) tend to treat it more like an F1 race start when the light changes.

There's a lot of people say that manuals are redundant and auto is the way forward, but personally I take a lot of pride in judging a clutch release according to gradient, with handbrake if needed too, and smooth down changes too. It's incredibly satisfying when done well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 people who dont indicate at roundabouts or sliproads you know who you are Audi and BMW drivers. People who go from outside lane right across 2/3 lanes to dive up the sliproad - Audi/BMW impatient dickhead drivers...i wish my car had tracking machine guns fitted, i could put some holes in their car.

2 people who are travelling 0.5mph faster than you, but get into the outside lane half a mile before they get to you.

3 trucks overtaking trucks. They're all limited to 56mph here in the UK, so why end up blocking a 2 lane road with 2 trucks going exactly the same speed ??!!!! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHH!!!!! SMH, FML etc etc.

Edited by Cuckoo42
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3
1 hour ago, gldenwetgoose said:

another pet hate is when you see a pensioner limping with a walking frame from shop to car, like they can barely walk... to get into the driving seat.  I get that their independence and freedom is important - but if a child runs out, or whatever, do they have the physical strength to press the brake pedal?  Do they still have the competence to be in charge of a 38mph 2 tonne killing machine?

I have worked in a petrol filling station before and I used to see that all the time. Pensioners who could barely walk and who when they finally made it to the kiosk barely had the dexterity to handle their wallet. And I'm thinking "What? And you're behind a wheal?" In an emergency they are going to have the reaction time of a sloth. Surely they should not be on the road? They are also often the same ones who drive ridiculously slowly yet are still doddering all over the road. Mind you, considering the state of some of them perhaps it is a blessing that they drive like the speed limit is half what it is. They'd surely be more dangerous if they went faster. I don't think such people are competent to drive. I think once someone reaches pensionable age, or even younger if they develop a serious physical disability, their physical dexterity and reaction times should be tested annually, and if found to be lacking on either score their licenses should be removed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Another of my pet hates is people forgetting to switch their indicators off, thereby giving you false indications. I pulled out in front of someone because she was indicating to leave the roundabout before she got to me. But she wasn't and had to brake hard and was beeping her horn at me like a silly cow wholly unaware of the fact that her indicator light was flashing false information. I saw no other meaningful course of action than to mouth her a stupid twat, give her the finger, and carry on my way. 

Another annoyance is those silly twats doing 60-65mph on a 70mph speed limit motorway, but who accelerate to 70 whenever you try to overtake them. When you fall in behind them again they slow back down to 60-65. So you are thereby forced to follow them at their chosen speed well below the speed limit, or break the speed limit yourself to overtake them

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Oh, and why is that that Citroen Berlingo drivers are invariably the slowest things on the road besides tractors and bicycles? If you get stuck behind one, be prepared for a mind-numbingly slow journey.

And today I and a number of other vehicles were reduced for some distance to only about 15mph in a 40 zone because of some selfish twat cyclist insisting upon using the road in spite of the adjacent pavement being an official cycle path!!!

3 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Totally agree with all of those @steve25805 - I have a theory that the human brain when switched off has a 'reversionary mode' that drives a car in zombie mode at exactly 38mph.  Could be in a village, an inner city 20 limit or a national speed limit road.  And if the person is concentrating that little on the speed limit and road conditions, are they also going to react to a hazard?

Tied in with that another pet hate is when you see a pensioner limping with a walking frame from shop to car, like they can barely walk... to get into the driving seat.  I get that their independence and freedom is important - but if a child runs out, or whatever, do they have the physical strength to press the brake pedal?  Do they still have the competence to be in charge of a 38mph 2 tonne killing machine?

Another pet hate - when in a filter lane situation, like the end of a dual carriageway or a motorway lane closure - the people that won't merge but insist on forcing their way through to gain one position - and never give any thanks.

Crazy how 38 mph seems to be that magic number here in the NE USA as well, on any 2 lane road. Must be a human trait! There was a time when every single day on the way home I would be stuck behind a couple of those 38 mph drivers, mind you this was 45-50 mph rural 2 lane road with no lights or significant number of driveways or other hazards along the way. Brutal part was the 10 mile stretch of no passing zone. When you finally make it to the solo short passing zone and get around the road hog(s), there is a 25 mph flashing school zone just a couple of miles ahead. I would slow down to near 25 mph, and what do you know the same jerk is right on my bumper still trying to do 38! And this was every single day! It got to the point where I would slow to a crawl on purpose (staying literally at <25 mph through there) simply as payback for them delaying me getting home for the past 10 miles. First world problems I know. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 3

What pisses me off (well, not really 'pisses me off', more like just something I roll my eyes at) is that people treat me differently on the road depending on what car I drive. Sometimes I use my car, which is a Honda FK8 Type R (here's an example https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/new-honda-civic-type-r-2020-made-more-fast-and-furious-by-mugen-79599) and sometimes I use my dad's car, which is a 2018 Bentley Continental GT (https://www.caradvice.com.au/646251/2018-bentley-continental-gt-pricing/) and usually, people give way to me a lot more when I use mine as opposed to my dad's. I don't really understand why, but they like to cut me off and are less likely to let me get on with my life when I'm driving my father's car/accompanying him somewhere. Makes no damn sense to me lmao

• Like 1

Cars that are scared of corners, you can be bopping along, following someone doing the legal limit, then, at the smallest kink in a road, hit the brakes, and drop 30kph. After the kink, they speed up to legal limit again. In most cases, these kinks are in a double line section, no overtaking permitted.

The other pet peeve is overtaking lanes, people drive at 80kph (50mph) then on an overtaking lane, speed up to 100kph (60mph) then slow back down to 80kph on the open road.

65 tonne lawn mowers (silage equipment) also hog the country roads, these have a max speed of about 30mph, 65kmh, and happily putt along with no regard to the 2km long traffic jam behind them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
3 hours ago, Specter said:

What pisses me off (well, not really 'pisses me off', more like just something I roll my eyes at) is that people treat me differently on the road depending on what car I drive. Sometimes I use my car, which is a Honda FK8 Type R (here's an example https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/new-honda-civic-type-r-2020-made-more-fast-and-furious-by-mugen-79599) and sometimes I use my dad's car, which is a 2018 Bentley Continental GT (https://www.caradvice.com.au/646251/2018-bentley-continental-gt-pricing/) and usually, people give way to me a lot more when I use mine as opposed to my dad's. I don't really understand why, but they like to cut me off and are less likely to let me get on with my life when I'm driving my father's car/accompanying him somewhere. Makes no damn sense to me lmao

Could it possibly be a subconscious association between the type of car and the assumed age of the driver? I know that I am far less likely to let older drivers out in front of me due to the likelihood that they will "thank" me by driving slow as fuck in front of me. Maybe people associate a Bentley with an older driver? Just a thought.

• Like 1

Omg there are so many.  I agree with all the above.   
1. We have 2, 3 ,4 lane roads around here.  You would not believe how many times I have seen someone all the way in the left lane cut acrossed 3 or 4 lanes slam on their breaks and make a right turn or the other way around right to left.  For god sakes if you end up being in the wrong side Of the road and miss where u turn it’s not the end of the world. Go to the next turn and turn around.   But no I’m going to cause a mass accident because I need to be over here. Now. 
2. The car thing. I have a Dodge Charger so everyone loves to fuck with me.   They get in front of me drive slow. I go around they speed up.  If I get in front of them they tail gate me.  It like can you get the fuck away from me damn it. I just want to drive the speed limit well maybe a little over, away from all these idiots.  
3. When people won’t let you over. You turn your signal on try speeding up they speed up. Slow down they slow down and keep pace with you. For god sake I just need to get over either let me in behind or in front I don’t fucking care.  
4. When a lane is ending. You know it is ending and get over in plenty of time. There is alway that asshole who want to beat all the other car who got over and have been waiting patiently to go, speeding around and cutting in.  Fuck u asshole I’m not letting you in.  
5.  Big ass jacked up trucks that have really bright lights that just so happen to shine right in your back window blinding the crap out of you.

i could probably think of a lot more.  It’s very easy to get road rage around here.  Honestly I’m surprised I have killed anyone yet.   I love to drive.  Jump in the car crank up the radio and just take off.  But all the idiots need to stay away.  

Edited by Sweets
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

Cars that are scared of corners, you can be bopping along, following someone doing the legal limit, then, at the smallest kink in a road, hit the brakes, and drop 30kph. After the kink, they speed up to legal limit again. In most cases, these kinks are in a double line section, no overtaking permitted.

Yeah we get those kind of annoying gits here. Long straight where it would be easy and safe to overtake if they slowed down they travel at a decently fast speed. But as soon as you come to somewhere where overtaking is dangerous, they slow down to a fucking crawl. 

I dream of a magic button that makes the car in front accelerate.

Guest UnabashedUser

Tailgaters.

Doesn't matter if it's 15 mph or  80 mph there's always some schmuck riding your bumper if I'm on the road for any length of time  in my wife's little car.

If I'm driving my 4wd pickup there's a bit more respect.

Maybe because there's usually a 12 ga. pump or a 30 cal rifle in the back window rack.

I'm in West Texas and that situation is very common and perfectly legal here.

Edited by UnabashedUser
1 minute ago, UnabashedUser said:

Tailgaters.

Doesn't matter if it's 15 mph or  80 mph there's always some schmuck riding your bumper if you're on the road for any length of time if I'm in my wife's little car.

If I'm driving my 4wd pickup there's a bit more respect.

Maybe because there's usually a 12 ga. pump or a 30 cal rifle in the back window rack.

I'm in West Texas and that situation is very common and perfectly legal here.

Happens a lot here too can’t stand that 

I live in a rather beautiful mountain area and every year, mostly during summer, we have some stupid tourists that stop the car right in the middle of the road to take pictures of the landscape with their phone. Most of the time they don't even warn the other drivers and just stop the car abruptly because they felt this sudden urge to take a photo of a mountain nearby RIGHT IN THAT MOMENT!

Once I even encountered a german tourist who "parked" his car in the middle of my lane while he thought it was also a good idea to step out of the vehicle and move around the whole  road so that he can take the perfect picture, you know, for friends and family at home who probably won't give a shit about it anyway.

I always wonder how people are allowed to drive with almost no common sense. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • 4 weeks later...

It depends if I'm driving a truck or a car. People going too slow are not a real problem in a truck. But people cutting you off are not just annoying, they are DANGEROUS!! 

Drivers who don't use their blinkers..

People who don't watch their blind spots..

Tailgaters..

People who text.. You know it'stupid!

You know, when you're waiting at a red light, keep your f****king music for you!!!!!! Hearing someone signing (very badly most of the time) or just leave the volume on max with an opened window just beside you, that's annoying!! 

• Like 1

I'm going to swerve very slightly off topic...   to when other people are in their car and I'm sat at home enjoying the peace.

When someone is sat in their car, in the street, beyond my front garden and I'm sat inside behind double glazing - yet I can still hear a booming male voice from their stereo or hands free kit. It could be a talk radio type station but equally could be a phone call.  There seems to be a certain frequency that must encourage a resonance and just seems to transmit straight through all the car's sound dampening material and straight through the solid structure of my house.

I get that there's road noise, wind turbulence and engine sounds to overcome when driving. But you're not driving - you're parked in the street. Turn the f%%%ing thing down!!!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2020 at 10:24 AM, likesToLick said:

You're such a gentle soul Steve.  My imaginary magic button simply vaporises them.

Yes, i'd want to be in one of James Bond's cars, either the Aston with the machine guns and rockets, or one of his BMWs with various missile systems