Sorry I am going to have a rant

39 minutes ago, lovestoseepee said:

Why is it that certain people feel the need to make negative comments about the female body. I know everyone is entitled to their opinoin and there's freedom of speech etc, but this can sometimes come at a cost.It's no wonder a lot of adult models and women in general suffer with mental helath issues especially when it comes to their body, when they have certain people (mainly men) making negative comments about their body. I appreciate that pepole have certain ailments and belmishes on their body, but they don't need them pointing out. It just infurates me when people feel the need to go out of their way to post negative comments. Why can't more people adhere to the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. I am not saying that people can't give constructive critisicm where something can be done about it, but it's not always the case that things can be changed. For example if someone had been in caught in a fire and they had burns on their body no amont of skin grafts or plastic surgery would alter the scars, for then to have someone point out their scars could do more damage than you can imagine. The point of this post is to try and encourage people to stop and think before they post negative comments, beacuse you could be partly responsible for someone commiting suicide (since one doesn't know if their comment was the final straw for the person the comment was aimed at).

End of rant.

Didn't you hear, this is the "O Generation". The "O" meaning "Opinionated". So, whereas, in previous generations people we're brought up with the "If you have nothing positive to say, don't say anything", this generation just gives the opinion on any given subject, especially celebs and stuff that is really none of their concern.

It's kinda social media to blame, as it gives people a platform to air their (usually unwanted) opinions. But it's not entire down to social media... It's people. 

Man created rope and it wasn't too long before they invented the noose.

Edited by MasterDarcy
  • Like 1

I'm not really looking to start a fight here, but I think the 'strawberry generation' outlook applies here more than the 'opinionated generation'. Someone making a negative comment should not be such a big thing that it stirs up this much trouble. I'd much rather live in a world where people are honest about what they feel than one where they keep everything not 'positive' to themselves.

2 hours ago, Specter said:

I'm not really looking to start a fight here, but I think the 'strawberry generation' outlook applies here more than the 'opinionated generation'. Someone making a negative comment should not be such a big thing that it stirs up this much trouble. I'd much rather live in a world where people are honest about what they feel than one where they keep everything not 'positive' to themselves.

There's honestly and there's mean.

Example: A girl posts a pic of themselves on social media. She receives a comment from a random stranger which reads "You're ugly".

Does this opinion have to be aired?

Edited by MasterDarcy
  • Agree 1

@MasterDarcy Well, personally, I'd rather know what people think of me, be it good or bad, than have it hidden behind some façade of kindness. Your statement also poses the question of when an opinion has to be made, because, as is human nature, different people will always have different views regarding that. 

Just now, Specter said:

@MasterDarcy Well, personally, I'd rather know what people think of me, be it good or bad, than have it hidden behind some façade of kindness. Your statement also poses the question of when an opinion has to be made, because, as is human nature, different people will always have different views regarding that. 

If you ask people what they think of you, fine, let the honesty begin. But if you aren't asking, then you aren't seeking an opinion. That's probably what rapists think "Oh. She wants it, even if she didn't ask for it or request it".

Everyone has opinions, but only a small few are worthy of recognition, as social media proves.

• Agree 1
Just now, MasterDarcy said:

If you ask people what they think of you, fine, let the honesty begin. But if you aren't asking, then you aren't seeking an opinion. That's probably what rapists think "Oh. She wants it, even if she didn't ask for it or request it".

Everyone has opinions, but only a small few are worthy of recognition, as social media proves.

The reason I eschew the attitude of "only give opinions when you are asked for them specifically" is that I believe it fosters a sort of closed-mindedness that is quite counterintuitive for the progression of civilization as a whole. Nobody really asked Tesla to come up with AC, or Aristotle to reject Plato's Theory of Forms in favor of his own idea, but without these key contributions, we wouldn't be where we are now. Innovation shouldn't need prompting, and in the same vein, neither should the voicing of opinions. As for your example of rape -- it sucks (and I know this literally firsthand) but even so, I'd much prefer this version of society to one with a 0% crime rate but no innovations or freedom of speech/thought. I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this, though, so let's cease and desist before a moderator smites us into oblivion. 

6 minutes ago, Specter said:

The reason I eschew the attitude of "only give opinions when you are asked for them specifically" is that I believe it fosters a sort of closed-mindedness that is quite counterintuitive for the progression of civilization as a whole. Nobody really asked Tesla to come up with AC, or Aristotle to reject Plato's Theory of Forms in favor of his own idea, but without these key contributions, we wouldn't be where we are now. Innovation shouldn't need prompting, and in the same vein, neither should the voicing of opinions. As for your example of rape -- it sucks (and I know this literally firsthand) but even so, I'd much prefer this version of society to one with a 0% crime rate but no innovations or freedom of speech/thought. I doubt we'll ever see eye to eye on this, though, so let's cease and desist before a moderator smites us into oblivion. 

Bringing Tesla, Aristotle and Plato up? I think you may be confusing "honestly" with "questioning". Those three aforementioned genuises questioned the way that the world was and asked the question " What if?". If they weren't inquisitive, and just "honest", they would've just said "This is awful", and moved on without adding anything more constructive to the narrative.

Innovation? When the world is run by the Kardashians, etc. In a World we're there's more celebrity than stars. In a world where people are still listening to music, watching movies, enjoying art, from an era that is far gone, where exactly is this modern innovation? Take out technology and medicine and I'd say that people have stagnated.

22 minutes ago, MasterDarcy said:

No.

Curiously aggressive. Perhaps some introspection would be beneficial on your end?

26 minutes ago, MasterDarcy said:

Bringing Tesla, Aristotle and Plato up? I think you may be confusing "honestly" with "questioning". Those three aforementioned genuises questioned the way that the world was and asked the question " What if?". If they weren't inquisitive, and just "honest", they would've just said "This is awful", and moved on without adding anything more constructive to the narrative.

Innovation? When the world is run by the Kardashians, etc. In a World we're there's more celebrity than stars. In a world where people are still listening to music, watching movies, enjoying art, from an era that is far gone, where exactly is this modern innovation? Take out technology and medicine and I'd say that people have stagnated.

I believe you're confusing my argument with my associated parallels. I'm merely stating that an environment which promotes uncalled for inquisitiveness will also be an environment promoting uncalled for honesty. I'm saying that one goes with the other, and both are useful for humanity as a whole. As for the Kardashians, I can assure you that people like them hold very little sway in the grand scheme of things, actually. Being from the younger generation myself, I have heard their names mentioned roughly three times since 2014. Your point about people enjoying things that were created long ago, specifically art-related things like music and movies, does not prove that innovation has stagnated at all. I don't know how that can be a valid argument at all, actually -- you're basically saying that art, a field dependent entirely on people's subjective tastes, has to evolve in a linear fashion like science or technology, which is categorically false. Art by nature does not have a time stamp or a sell-by date; ask any artist or, indeed, any person who appreciates any kind of art. "Take out technology and medicine" ...Well. Those are enormous fields, constantly growing, changing and yes, innovating, and you cannot just count them out like that. It's like me saying, "I'll take a cheeseburger, hold the cheese, meat and half the bread." Makes very little sense, doesn't it? Even if we aren't talking technology or medicine, what about things like mathematics? We're getting closer and closer to solving the Riemann Hypothesis, the Collatz Conjecture, the Twin-Prime Conjecture and so many others... if you really think the world is stagnating, I'd recommend a subscription to the Scientific American and probably the Economist. 

6 minutes ago, Specter said:

Curiously aggressive. Perhaps some introspection would be beneficial on your end?

Not really, Mr "cease and desist". So, either we've stepped into a courtroom or you're being pretentious? Perhaps some introduction would be good on your end?

10 minutes ago, Specter said:

I believe you're confusing my argument with my associated parallels. I'm merely stating that an environment which promotes uncalled for inquisitiveness will also be an environment promoting uncalled for honesty. I'm saying that one goes with the other, and both are useful for humanity as a whole. As for the Kardashians, I can assure you that people like them hold very little sway in the grand scheme of things, actually. Being from the younger generation myself, I have heard their names mentioned roughly three times since 2014. Your point about people enjoying things that were created long ago, specifically art-related things like music and movies, does not prove that innovation has stagnated at all. I don't know how that can be a valid argument at all, actually -- you're basically saying that art, a field dependent entirely on people's subjective tastes, has to evolve in a linear fashion like science or technology, which is categorically false. Art by nature does not have a time stamp or a sell-by date; ask any artist or, indeed, any person who appreciates any kind of art. "Take out technology and medicine" ...Well. Those are enormous fields, constantly growing, changing and yes, innovating, and you cannot just count them out like that. It's like me saying, "I'll take a cheeseburger, hold the cheese, meat and half the bread." Makes very little sense, doesn't it? Even if we aren't talking technology or medicine, what about things like mathematics? We're getting closer and closer to solving the Riemann Hypothesis, the Collatz Conjecture, the Twin-Prime Conjecture and so many others... if you really think the world is stagnating, I'd recommend a subscription to the Scientific American and probably the Economist. 

I'm confusing nothing. So, in your world, inquisitiveness goes hand in hand with honesty? Well, for a start, there's several degradations of honesty. Just because something is apparent, doesn't mean that it must be vocalized. If you met a mentally challenged person, would you come out and call them mentally challenged? Apparently, in your world of blanket honesty, you would.

What separates man from beast is that man has the mind to discriminate between what has to be said and what doesn't have to be said. I mean, unless you're talking human beings that are on the Autistic spectrum.

Well, the Kardashians are living in your world of blanket honesty. How do you think it's fairing? I'm as democratic as anyone, I'm all for free-speech and being completely as honest as possible, but man is born with sense of filtering the wheat from the chaff. If you're condoning that people should be able to say whatever comes to their mind, then it opens up a can of worms, especially when it comes to ethnic epithets.

The very fact that we revere the works of Van Gogh, DaVinci, Monet, etc, would very much suggest that art has stagnated. Who do we have now? Tracey Emmen with her "Unmade bed"? How about Damien Hrst with his pickled sharks? And yeah, art does have a time stamp. The Expressionist movement lasted from 1905-10-20, and that's just one example.

As a writer myself, I read Austen, Hardy, Bronte Sisters, Shakespeare, Marlowe, Dickinson, etc. Stephen King may be prolific, but a classic writer, he is not. How about the person who scribbled "50 shades of Grey"? You think people will be reading that in 50 years?

Keats wrote “Beauty is truth, truth beauty, ", but I don't think he was talking about being a rude douchbag.

You're talking about economics when it's been revealed that the globe's richest 1% own half the world's wealth.

And if you're as smart as you think you are, discover sentence breaks. Reading one big block of text isn't exactly a nice experience.

• Agree 2
23 hours ago, lovestoseepee said:

Why is it that certain people feel the need to make negative comments about the female body. I know everyone is entitled to their opinoin and there's freedom of speech etc, but this can sometimes come at a cost.It's no wonder a lot of adult models and women in general suffer with mental helath issues especially when it comes to their body, when they have certain people (mainly men) making negative comments about their body. I appreciate that pepole have certain ailments and belmishes on their body, but they don't need them pointing out. It just infurates me when people feel the need to go out of their way to post negative comments. Why can't more people adhere to the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. I am not saying that people can't give constructive critisicm where something can be done about it, but it's not always the case that things can be changed. For example if someone had been in caught in a fire and they had burns on their body no amont of skin grafts or plastic surgery would alter the scars, for then to have someone point out their scars could do more damage than you can imagine. The point of this post is to try and encourage people to stop and think before they post negative comments, beacuse you could be partly responsible for someone commiting suicide (since one doesn't know if their comment was the final straw for the person the comment was aimed at).

End of rant.

I see your point, but on the scars thing, scars are actually something I like to shine a positive light on. I don't see scars as "ugly lines" or "faults", but rather a chapter of somebody's life which they wear on their skin. I can appreciate that not everyone wants to draw attention to their scars and they certainly don't want negative comments about them, but I genuinely am very interested in where they came from. I'm fascinated by history.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/angry-parents-slam-boris-johnson-22566121

The aforementioned epitomises exactly what I'm talking about:

"Angry parents slam Boris Johnson for wearing baby carrier 'too loose' during highland getaway"

Why do so many people care about stuff that has absolutely zero to do with them?!

As a writer, honest critique is imperative and it offers a way of learning to improve. Being wrong, making mistakes, etc, is a divine experience, as it offers you an opportunity of growth and general improvement.

On 8/22/2020 at 7:40 PM, lovestoseepee said:

End of rant.

I agree totally with you. Constructive criticism is fine, but telling someone they are ugly or something like that serves no useful purpose at all and is just needlessly cruel. Why hurt the feelings of others for no reason? If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, say nothing.

In fact, if anyone here were to, for example, post pics of themselves doing this or that and someone else rocked up with negative comments, it would be a gross rule break and an immediate moderation issue. So if anyone does this to a fellow member, please report it.

I hate needless cruelty and hurtfulness because someone's assumed right to say whatever the fuck they want is more important to them than the feelings of others. That is inherently and contemptibly selfish in my view. It is just so unpleasant and needless.

That's my little contributory rant done.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, steve25805 said:

I agree totally with you. Constructive criticism is fine, but telling someone they are ugly or something like that serves no useful purpose at all and is just needlessly cruel. Why hurt the feelings of others for no reason? If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, say nothing.

In fact, if anyone here were to, for example, post pics of themselves doing this or that and someone else rocked up with negative comments, it would be a gross rule break and an immediate moderation issue. So if anyone does this to a fellow member, please report it.

I hate needless cruelty and hurtfulness because someone's assumed right to say whatever the fuck they want is more important to them than the feelings of others. That is inherently and contemptibly selfish in my view. It is just so unpleasant and needless.

That's my little contributory rant done.

Absolutely right.

Apparently, though, there are some people (like the one above) who think giving people the freedom to troll is only way to progress human existence.

People should be held accountable for abusive behaviour. Particularly online. It's too easy for people to sign up to social media, use a VPN, and go on a bigotted and racist onslaught, with the only punishment their account being bannes.

Forums and social media should request ID for people to register.

• Like 1

My first thought when reading the original post was that I really hope it's not arising from a particular instance on this site.

I picked up on someone last week referring in a response to my Curvilicious post to 'curvy girls and normal girls' - I'm also 100% in the 'don't say it if it's not helpful' category.  As such I'm totally with Steve's summary of the site position and pleased that he's clarified it here.

I'm not going to be hypocritical enough to start voicing disagreement with the above arguments - although you can probably pretty easily work out where I stand.

• Thanks 1
On 8/23/2020 at 4:10 AM, lovestoseepee said:

Why is it that certain people feel the need to make negative comments about the female body. I know everyone is entitled to their opinoin and there's freedom of speech etc, but this can sometimes come at a cost.It's no wonder a lot of adult models and women in general suffer with mental helath issues especially when it comes to their body, when they have certain people (mainly men) making negative comments about their body.

I think that there are some people who feel small, insignificant and powerless,  and the only way they know to "big themselves up" is to make spiteful and hurtful comments about others.  There is nothing else in their lives that gives them any sense of achievement.

• Agree 1