What have ya'all been up to?

Here in the northern part of the USA midwest we have had the delightful summer cocktail of hot (highs nearing 90 F in Wisconsin!) and humid leading to frequent thunderstorm outbreaks.

I have been "staying safe at home" because there isn't much else to do. No Summerfest, no state fair, no county fairs, no music in the park and no sports! 

What's going on in your neck of the woods?

• Like 2

Well I've been cutting alfalfa lol, everything I've cut so far has been rained on, can't win them all lol. Previous its been same old same old. Got the crops all seeded and sprayed, working on our combines now. Harvest is still about 3 weeks away, maybe 4. Its been a nice summer so far, not to hot and rainy, perfect canola growing weather lol. Lentils not so much, to wet for them and rot root has set in on some fields

Iam up in Saskatchewan Canada

• Like 1

I'm only a few hours away from you, so I'm having pretty much the same weather. While I enjoy this summer heat, it's sometimes hard to stay hydrated, at least during the day. Of course, once it cools off in the evening, all those liquids I took in during the day need to find their way out.

Like you, I've been practicing social distancing these last few months. No crowded beaches, no concerts, no sporting events, no dining inside restaurants, no indoor gatherings with friends.... But, it would be nice to enjoy an outdoor picnic with a special someone, even if we had to stay six feet apart.

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Well I've been cutting alfalfa lol, everything I've cut so far has been rained on, can't win them all lol. Previous its been same old same old. Got the crops all seeded and sprayed, working on our combines now. Harvest is still about 3 weeks away, maybe 4. Its been a nice summer so far, not to hot and rainy, perfect canola growing weather lol. Lentils not so much, to wet for them and rot root has set in on some fields

Iam up in Saskatchewan Canada

Major crops around here are corn, alfalfa and soybeans.  I don't think I've ever seen canola growing! 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, glad1 said:

I'm only a few hours away from you, so I'm having pretty much the same weather. While I enjoy this summer heat, it's sometimes hard to stay hydrated, at least during the day. Of course, once it cools off in the evening, all those liquids I took in during the day need to find their way out.

Like you, I've been practicing social distancing these last few months. No crowded beaches, no concerts, no sporting events, no dining inside restaurants, no indoor gatherings with friends.... But, it would be nice to enjoy an outdoor picnic with a special someone, even if we had to stay six feet apart.

It is kind of sad that so many of the things that we look forward to all winter aren't happening this year. 

In general I prefer small groups or one on one to crowds.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PixieRyder said:

Major crops around here are corn, alfalfa and soybeans.  I don't think I've ever seen canola growing! 

Canola grows to about 3 feet tall or there abouts with yellow flowers. 

Mustard looks identical but the pods are longer on canola which means more seeds per pod

• Like 1
13 hours ago, PixieRyder said:

It is kind of sad that so many of the things that we look forward to all winter aren't happening this year. 

In general I prefer small groups or one on one to crowds.

Even before the pandemic, I preferred activities within small groups and one to one situations rather than among crowds. 

What I find so sad about this year is that we've even lost most of them. Perhaps the greatest cost of our present situation is that of intimacy, touch and closeness. If we don't already have a partner, it may be some time before we ever find one.

• Agree 1
3 hours ago, mickymoist said:

I guess that must be what's known as Rapeseed over here?   See lots of bright yellow fields here.

Rapeseed was the parent of canola lol. But yes its still called Rapeseed here as well. Canola was breed from the rapeseed genetics 

• Like 2

The only think happening here is work.  Everything has been canceled here too I miss my summer concerts. We have been on lock down they finally let use out but talking about going back to phase 2 or 1 🙄. We have finally been able to go out to eat.  This week we seem to have gone to hell its been in the 100 here the last couple days and lasting thru the week. Humidity is officially every time I outside my glasses fog up.  Last week I finally had dinner with my parents after about 5 months. 

Similar here in the UK @Sweets - normal (what is normal?) day job goes on, working from home and a lot of waiting for things to happen, so very reactionary rather than being able to get on with things.

Restaurants and pubs starting to open again, although I can't say I feel a strong desire to get back into the thick of it.  I may do once my favourite micro-bar a few minutes walk from home reopens, but no forecast on that yet.

Last week I flew to Spain for the first time since early March - everything in order and felt safer and more normal out there to be honest. It felt like the Spanish authorities had tackled everything better and people were reacting more sensibly, in this country it feels like so many people just want to kick back against government mandates rather than actually think about any science behind them.

Back to Spain again this time next week for the second of three trips this month (all rescheduled flights from lockdown) - can't wait!!!   [amended > assuming second wave lockdown doesn't rear it's head in either UK or Spain. Who knows what will happen in the space of a week ]

Edited by gldenwetgoose
  • Agree 1
  • Love 2
  • 2 weeks later...

For myself and my own well being, lots of golf and evenings at the gym.   While I miss traveling for work right now, I’ve been able to be at home with my kids.  Physically I’m in the best shape I’ve been in the past 10 years since I’m not waking up at 5:00 AM for a long commute downtown and instead can go to the gym after I get my kids to bed and still get adequate sleep.   Trying to look at everything with a positive lens the best I can 

• 3 weeks later...