Last Movie / Film you watched or are currently watching

As it was my wife's birthday today and a Saturday, we were both off.  With lockdown and nowhere to travel we ended up doing a bit of a movie marathon.  Two chick-flicks of her choice, then finishing off with the last movie I saw, with a few points of interest for me:  Coyote Ugly 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PykT9ATcBg0

• Love 2
  • 1 year later...

Last film I watched was Full Metal Jacket. Ehhh... 5/10.

The first half is alright. R. Lee Ermey as Sgt Hartman was great, a perfect casting but other than Vincent D'Onofrio as Pvt Pyle, the acting was poor. And Pyle suffered from the Kubrick stare, eg Jack Nicholson in The Shining. The second half of the film is slow, dull and boring. Bad acting combined with bad decisions by the characters they are playing. There is a reason many people think that the film ends with Pyle and forget about the second half. It feels like two different films duct taped together. 

It was the first time I had seen FMJ, I knew of it and had seen clips of it but had never watched the film. It was touted as a classic and a must watch, people raving about it. If I watched it again I would stop after the first half. 

Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I can't see myself watching it again for the fun of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, gldenwetgoose said:

It’s a typical Channel 4 movie.  We were debating the fact that sadly it would probably note pass the script review if tabled today. 

Probably right. 

There’s some good choices though out there, not sure they’re all C4 - but Bend It Like Beckham, Made In Dagenham, Kinky Boots, Calendar Girls and of course The Full Monty. 

All great British films that’ll make you laugh and cry within minutes of each other. 

• Agree 1

There’s some good choices though out there, not sure they’re all C4 - but Bend It Like Beckham, Made In Dagenham, Kinky Boots, Calendar Girls and of course The Full Monty. 

All great British films that’ll make you laugh and cry within minutes of each other. 

A good list 🙂. I'm a fan of the films of Mike Leigh and Pedro Almodovar too. Serious, brilliantly acted and in Almodovar's case, sexy. If you don't know his work you have a treat in store, and you can practise your Spanish too 🙂

I’m so uncultured….  Google to the rescue. 

Don't do yourself down. I've not watched a film for ages! (Apart from the latest Bond.) 

• Love 1

In the cinema, Top Gun Maverick. I am not really a fan of Tom Cruise, but those beautiful sleek planes, and the sound they make, make me hot and bothered and wet. (Anyone who knows me, know that I also love Lamborghinis and their sexy shape, boy the things I would do to that car).  Please go see Top Gun in the cinema! It is almost as good as the original. I also watch pretty regularly Scott Pilgrim vs the World, to watch Scott rocking his guitar and the video game fight scenes, plus Ramona is kind of an obsession of mine, a bit of a dream girl, and Envy on stage with her rock star moves and red boots, boy, she would be fun. Love her to stand over me for a rock star pee. The music in that film is AMAZING! If you are after romance, you can’t go past Crazy Rich Asians in sultry Singapore. All the cast are so good looking, but Henry Golding is just dreamy perfection. 

• Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, Sophie said:

Last film I watched was Full Metal Jacket. Ehhh... 5/10.

The first half is alright. R. Lee Ermey as Sgt Hartman was great, a perfect casting but other than Vincent D'Onofrio as Pvt Pyle, the acting was poor. And Pyle suffered from the Kubrick stare, eg Jack Nicholson in The Shining. The second half of the film is slow, dull and boring. Bad acting combined with bad decisions by the characters they are playing. There is a reason many people think that the film ends with Pyle and forget about the second half. It feels like two different films duct taped together. 

It was the first time I had seen FMJ, I knew of it and had seen clips of it but had never watched the film. It was touted as a classic and a must watch, people raving about it. If I watched it again I would stop after the first half. 

Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I can't see myself watching it again for the fun of it. 

Wow, really? What about that ending? That shit still haunts me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...