Toilets locked but the sunbathers are out

So, on Saturday, I read that a lot of people in the South of the UK were stretching the lockdown rules and that significant numbers were sunbathing in London Parks and also South Coast Beaches such as Brighton.   I also understand that most places have locked public toilets either to discourage people from spending time in places or because social distancing and regular disinfection cannot be guaranteed.

Therefore, on Saturday, there must have been loads of people who turned up to the beach or a park and ended up peeing in public because they had no other options.  Would have been great sighting opportunities (but I behaved and stayed home!).

So now that Boris has said that from Wednesday in the UK, we can spend unlimited time outdoors for exercise and are allowed to sunbathe, the question is whether toilets will remain locked or not.  If they are locked, then people can legitimately be there for several hours and have no toilets available...... could be interesting?

Just a couple of examples below - I am sure that it applies anywhere that may have popular parks and beaches.

People in Brighton on the beach on Saturday: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brits-flout-social-distancing-rules-21997971

Brighton toilets closed: https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/content/leisure-and-libraries/public-toilets
and.. https://new.brighton-hove.gov.uk/news/2020/public-toilets-closing-encourage-more-social-distancing

Hackney Park busy: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-police-chief-warning-over-uk-lockdown-split-as-britain-bakes-11985648

Hackney Park Toilets closed: https://hackney.gov.uk/hackney-downs

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Paulypeeps said:

I do hope that some of the day trippers have appreciated the convenience of wetting and are learning to dress for wetting.

I'm sure that there will have been many ladies peeing under the cover of their skirts whilst sitting on the grass in the parks or through their bikinis on the beach.   Some may have set out knowing this was their plan, others will have improvised because they didn't want to expose themselves.  Who knows, it may even have caused them to find something they enjoy doing but didn't know before...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
2 hours ago, Paulypeeps said:

I do hope that some of the day trippers have appreciated the convenience of wetting and are learning to dress for wetting.

I'm guessing over the next few days your little bit of the coast is going to get somewhat busier,  if it wasn't already...  

Places like the Lake District, beaches and so on in the UK are bound to get more visitors now due to Boris announcing that we can now travel to such places.   But many of the places are not opening toilets.   The lake district, for example, are discouraging visitors, but visitors still want to go.   Quote from the lake district national park website: "Our toilets around the Lake District National Park remain closed at this time. We are reviewing when we can open them safely."   Also the police in Cumbria are saying on their website: "Following the relaxing of lockdown restrictions, the clear message from Cumbria and the Lake District is now is not the time to visit the area" and one point raised in the justification: "Consider the lack of toilet and washing facilities and don’t behave in an anti-social manner"

I think that the closures are partly to discourage people from going to these places yet and partly because there is no way to enforce social distancing in a toilet building.  Many people are still going to visit the areas because they are fed up of staying home and want to enjoy being out and travelling again.  So, if any of you are out and about and interested in seeing any public desperation and peeing then I'm sure that it will be in evidence around car parks and closed toilets in tourist areas where people travel from a distance.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:54 AM, Alfresco said:

I think that the closures are partly to discourage people from going to these places yet and partly because there is no way to enforce social distancing in a toilet building. 

There are numerous surfaces to touch. Depending how much the virus actually spreads by contact, rather than through the air, they might actually be a substantial hazard, especially since many of them are not routinely stocked with soap & towels. Ironically it’s more hygienic to piss outdoors.

• Agree 1

It is the lack of facilities, in the past, which may well have brought many of us to this forum.

Desperation to pee, and being told by parents that using anything other than using a toilet is naughty, makes a natural body function taboo.

Under present circumstances I totally agree that outside is cleaner, and safer, than an unmaintained public toilet.

Faced with the need, then just be discrete! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This morning on a call I had for work, we were discussing things in general and someone said that they had been to a garden centre now that they were re-opening.   Apparently there was a lady there who asked for the toilet but the staff said the toilets were closed.   The lady said that she needed to go and asked where the nearest alternative toilet was.   The staff said that she would have to go into town - three miles away and then she didn't know what, if anything, would be open.

I'm starting to think that maybe garden centres may start finding people peeing in the outdoor areas hidden between the rows of plants - particularly the thicker bushes and more hidden areas.   Also, possibly between cars in car parks.     I think maybe it is time to visit a garden centre......

• Like 2

Where i live public parks and beaches don't even have toilets to begin with. They expect from everyone to pee at their home. Of course this doesn't always happen. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Alfresco said:

I'm starting to think that maybe garden centres may start finding people peeing in the outdoor areas hidden between the rows of plants - particularly the thicker bushes and more hidden areas.   Also, possibly between cars in car parks.     I think maybe it is time to visit a garden centre......

In a garden centre it's fairly easy to go behind a large plant if you don't make too much noise. It's quite fun to do!

• Like 1

I think I've already posted, so apologies but the garden centre post reminded me - a couple of weeks ago we went to a cash & carry type warehouse.  Standing outside in a socially distanced queue waiting to go in, I was casually admiring the rear that was 2m in front of me - looking like sprayed on very shapely jeans on a mature lady.  Her partner appeared from around the side of the building, explaining to us that he'd been the week before, been bursting and the toilets had been closed.

I spent the rest of the shopping trip seeing her down various aisles and wondering if she'd wanted to pee but didn't feel like she could outside...

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Justasailor said:

In a garden centre it's fairly easy to go behind a large plant if you don't make too much noise. It's quite fun to do!

I've done this before - when the toilets were open and yes, it is fun to do.   I just went to a fairly remote part of the garden centre and peed onto the gravel path between rows of plants for sale.

However, I'm hoping that now, more people will be forced to try this for themselves.  Hopefully they will find it quite liberating as well as relieving!

• Like 3