Feedback / Idea More response icons: thumbs down

Greetings to you @Admin and to those who keep this wonderful site going!

At the risk of being "Donny Downer" here, a suggestion I'd like to make is for a thumbs down emoji for when a crude or rude or offensive comment or an inappropriate post is made.

Last week this happened to one of our most valuable ladies here, who I will not mention. The male making the comment was very off-base and several of us stood up for her. After we gave him a piece of our minds, he finally apologized to her for the comment. In my standing up for her, I posted these two thumbs down that are included.

Food for thought.

Thanks!

Thumbs down gold small.jpg orThumbs-down-red.png

Edited by P_lovinguy
edited content
  • Like 2

Thanks for the suggestion, but @lovestoseepeepretty much word for word said what I was going to say (and what Sophie was going to say by the look of it).

If a post is offensive, it shouldn't be downvoted, it should be reported. I see 0 benefit of a dislike button, as it will further confuse people into disliking rather than reporting as they should be doing. Arguing back and forth isn't the answer, reporting problematic posts is.

For posts you simply disagree with (but are fine), you can just ignore them (or ignore the member in extreme cases). A dislike button would just bring unnecessary negativity and abuse - but for more on that please see the other thread where it was discussed.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

That is so sweet you that you stood up for our valuable member. However, I think the dislike button might give some consequences as well. Not all members here are fans of every contents shared by other members. In case they don't like that content, they might dislike them. There might be some other members who will like the content but don't bother to check it out due to some negative feedbacks. Hence, great contents might be get neglected. So, its better to report the negative contents and ignore the contents we don't like personally. To understand this scenario better, let's take YouTube as an example. You could find so many great videos that have lots of dislikes from fans of rival which is really some negativity for great talents. So, I personally don't welcome the dislike button on our site. 

• Agree 3
  • 2 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 10:35 AM, Bumperking17 said:

That is so sweet you that you stood up for our valuable member. However, I think the dislike button might give some consequences as well. Not all members here are fans of every contents shared by other members. In case they don't like that content, they might dislike them. There might be some other members who will like the content but don't bother to check it out due to some negative feedbacks. Hence, great contents might be get neglected. So, its better to report the negative contents and ignore the contents we don't like personally. To understand this scenario better, let's take YouTube as an example. You could find so many great videos that have lots of dislikes from fans of rival which is really some negativity for great talents. So, I personally don't welcome the dislike button on our site. 

In the early days we used to have a thumbs down button. And a few members were forever using it to be negative about something just because they didn't like it, whilst we at one point had a problem with a troll who was disliking every single post from a member he had an issue with. This is the problem. Such a button could be used for negative judgementalism, thereby circumventing our forum rules about that. In worst cases it can be used for trolling.

If someone is breaking the rules or just being obnoxious, just report it and the first mod or admin who comes online will check it out.

• Agree 3

Forgive me repeating myself, but we're a niche community - it generally feels like we're isolated with the whole world ready to disapprove that one thing that fires us up.  The last thing we need is disapproval from within our own community.

That's why I totally agree @Bumperking17, @steve25805 and everyone else - the last thing we need is a disapprove icon.  (For what it's worth, it's the same reason it irritates me so much when a member starts preaching their preferences as though they're gospel 'women shouldn't do this, men must do that..'.)

Build the positives, uplift each other - nobody needs a putdown, however subtle.

• Agree 3