Peeing After Childbirth

I was reading a clinical study that talked about how in a non-pregnant woman, bladder pressure was normally around 10 cm h2o between 100 ml and 400 ml, while rising to 24 cm h2o at 500 ml and soaring up to 60 cm h2o at 500 ML. So no wonder why it says that typical bladder capacity is 400-600 ML in most of the population, because that is when bladder "pressure" peaks regardless of how much the bladder can anatomically "stretch" to hold more pee. However, in the third trimester of pregnancy a woman's body releases more relaxin and progesterone hormones, which prepare the vagina to expand and relax the bladder muscles to compensate for the growing baby! And pregnant women only feel 10 cm h2o bladder pressure after crossing 1000 ml and around 16 cm h2o after crossing 1200 ml, compared to over 90 cm h20 among non-pregnant women. So pregnant women actually have more bladder capacity because of less bladder pressure! And right after a woman delivers a baby and her progesterone and relaxin levels are still elevated, nurses noted that women could easily void upwards of 1000 to 1200 ml, and one woman even voided 1900 ml! The only downside is that lower bladder pressure may lead to urinary retention and require a catheter to drain the pee! But in the days following childbirth, a woman's hormone levels return to normal and typically pee 400-600 ml on average.

Let me know what you all think about this! And for those of you on this forum who have been pregnant, did you ever experience a decrease in bladder pressure or increase in bladder capacity immediately following childbirth?

Honestly with everything that goes on with child birth we probably aren’t paying attention.  I know the first time I got up to pee after giving birth to my first child I didn’t call for the nurse just got up and went nothing thinking anything about it. Well once I got to toilet i got so light head I almost passed out. Thank god they have the call button in the bathroom.  It took 2 of them to get me back in bed.  The nurse jumped my ass and told me dont do that again.  I do know they measure your pee u have to pee in what they call a hat a plastic thing over the toilet.  Like I said a lot going on.  

I’ve given birth to a few children I remember peeing in the toilet hat after but I don’t recall how much esp since I was peeing along the whole process as far as now I def can’t hold as much as I could before hand and I def leak way more like a hard sneeze or cough could do me in lol. 

• Agree 2
17 minutes ago, gtg2468 said:

I def can’t hold as much as I could before hand and I def leak way more like a hard sneeze or cough could do me in lol. 

My wife is the same. Since our son was born sneezing, laughing and or coughing causes my wife to piss herself a bit. She definitely cannot hold it as long either, when she has to piss she has to piss lol

53 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

My wife is the same. Since our son was born sneezing, laughing and or coughing causes my wife to piss herself a bit. She definitely cannot hold it as long either, when she has to piss she has to piss lol

It can be annoying and wet 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sweets said:

Honestly with everything that goes on with child birth we probably aren’t paying attention.  I know the first time I got up to pee after giving birth to my first child I didn’t call for the nurse just got up and went nothing thinking anything about it. Well once I got to toilet i got so light head I almost passed out. Thank god they have the call button in the bathroom.  It took 2 of them to get me back in bed.  The nurse jumped my ass and told me dont do that again.  I do know they measure your pee u have to pee in what they call a hat a plastic thing over the toilet.  Like I said a lot going on.  

Did you remember how much you peed?

5 hours ago, gtg2468 said:

I’ve given birth to a few children I remember peeing in the toilet hat after but I don’t recall how much esp since I was peeing along the whole process as far as now I def can’t hold as much as I could before hand and I def leak way more like a hard sneeze or cough could do me in lol. 

Do you wear liners to guard against leaks?

6 hours ago, rajpatel1993 said:

Did you remember how much you peed?

No it was a long time ago my oldest is 28 and youngest 25.   Hell I can’t remember what I had for breakfast most morning 😂😂 sorry hun 

6 hours ago, nickie420wilson said:

with all going on its also easy 2 forget to go and i held out purposely almost 20 hrs.  it was so nice to release if it wouldnt of been from those fresh stitches would of came

Did the nurse put in a catheter for you to pee or did you pee in a bedpan then?