Transmissions thread

Sunshine108

There was a time in my shady past, when I rebuilt manual transmissions, big tough Aussie V8 ones. It gradually disappeared though when automatics became more common (and the were able to handle it). Automatics are almost bullet proof now, practically all cars sold here are auto, you get odd looks when you ask about a manual, or you get talked into the dual clutch "automatic manual" option like my old A45. It worked well, paddle shifting in manual mode was fun, but the car did it for you.

My current drive has a CVT, and at 100,000km, still doesn't need a service, its due at 150,000km and I'm not looking forward to it, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I learned to drive with a manual, so I can still do it,  but they are almost non-existent in normal cars in Australia now.  Even sports cars have an automatic with paddle shifters.

All the manuals I drove had synchromesh,  so I never learned to use a crash gearbox and I don't know how to double de-clutch.

For the last 20 years I have driven automatics,  and I couldn't bear to live without cruise control now.

A couple of features I miss:

• the manual lets you drive the car on the starter motor when the engine fails.  Great for getting out of the traffic flow if it quits.
  • you can push start a manual,  but not an automatic.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sunshine108 said:

I love these!! I recently drove a dump truck, Western Star with an 18. That's pretty tricky to shift with a Detroit engine! 

Ya you got that right lol. I haven't drive a truck with a Detroit in it for a bit, you gotta be Johnny on the spot when changing gears lol. A cat engine is lazy lol, lots of time between revs to grab a gear

5 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Ya you got that right lol. I haven't drive a truck with a Detroit in it for a bit, you gotta be Johnny on the spot when changing gears lol. A cat engine is lazy lol, lots of time between revs to grab a gear

You almost don't have time to use the clutch! A lot easier to float gears.

• Agree 1
  • 2 months later...

In the UK we have the system where the light goes from red to red yellow, and then all the old codgers start fumbling with their gear sticks, let the clutch out with no revs and stall. By the time they get away the light has gone all the way through and back to red again so only one car goes each time.

I might have exaggerated a bit, but you get the idea. While manuals are very widespread, especially in small and underpowered cars, there is very little mastering of the manual transmission. The sooner they are gone the quicker weekend traffic jams will be a thing of the past.

• Haha 3
Guest UnabashedUser
6 hours ago, Paulypeeps said:

In the UK we have the system where the light goes from red to red yellow, and then all the old codgers start fumbling with their gear sticks, let the clutch out with no revs and stall. By the time they get away the light has gone all the way through and back to red again so only one car goes each time.

I might have exaggerated a bit, but you get the idea. While manuals are very widespread, especially in small and underpowered cars, there is very little mastering of the manual transmission. The sooner they are gone the quicker weekend traffic jams will be a thing of the past.

I'll wager there's good money to be made selling clutch jobs over there. Manual's are OK for sports cars but suck in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

3 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

I'll wager there's good money to be made selling clutch jobs over there. Manual's are OK for sports cars but suck in heavy stop-and-go traffic.

You can't beat a automatic transmission in heavy stop and go traffic. This applies to semi trucks as well lol. Nothing worse than being stuck in heavy traffic with your left foot on the clutch peddle all day long lol. Good leg workout tho lol

Guest UnabashedUser
1 minute ago, speedy3471 said:

You can't beat a automatic transmission in heavy stop and go traffic. This applies to semi trucks as well lol. Nothing worse than being stuck in heavy traffic with your left foot on the clutch peddle all day long lol. Good leg workout tho lol

My leg would cramp up and the load would be in trouble LOL. Speaking of loads ..... <grin>

For my daily driver i had manual transmission and where i live most of the cars is equipped with manual gearboxes and that is what i learned to drive aswell. Allthough couple of years back i bought my recent classic/project car which is american made and have a automatic transmission with v8 engine offcourse. For cruising i found that automatic is damn nice.

Edited by willinglywet