Official News Speed & emoji update

Yes, the emoji appearance has changed slightly. We'll get used to it don't worry. 

We're just trialling these anyway, as now after clicking on the emoji button once, in theory the emojis should then load faster every time you click it in future. (In fact on a powerful computer I am getting them all almost instantly now). It had been pointed out before the emoji button was quite slow to load, so hopefully this will help...

However, on most devices it is probably easier not to use the button anyway - you can instead simply use the emojis on your device, e.g. the emoji button on phone keyboards, or often right clicking in the textbox on a laptop will have an 'emoji' option in the dropdown list. It will still work the same.

However, what you won't get on your device's keyboard, is the 'extra' emojis we have on top of the standard emojis. These are our peeing smileys, like this:

:urinal:

... I thought now might be a good time to see if anyone had any smileys they think should be added to the list - especially anything pee-related?

The reason behind all this emoji business is I am tying to optimise the site's loading speeds wherever possible. A few very minor adjustments have been made, but I really wanted to pose the question to all of you:

Does the site load at a reasonable speed for you?

Obviously certain parts of the site are very image heavy, so inevitably a bit slower, but generally speaking do you notice any slowness relative to other sites you visit?

As always, any feedback is really appreciated.

Thanks.

• Like 2
On 9/7/2019 at 2:05 AM, Admin said:

As always, any feedback is really appreciated.

I have noticed when opening a thread, that it tries to open all of the images at once,  so if you are trying to look at a new image near the end of the thread it keeps hopping about and jumping off screen as the other images load.  In our popular, long running threads with many images, this is not really necessary, as people would usually be just trying to look at the latest images that they have not already seen.

I have heard that forum software can offer a "lazy load" option that only loads images in that part of the thread which is currently on screen.  This could have a double benefit,  firstly that people can go straight to their pictures without the flickering and auto scrolling,  and secondly the forum can save on bandwidth,  as people would not be automatically loading pictures they were not going to look at.

If this platform has a "lazy load" option,  I would recommend giving it a try.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, likesToLick said:

I have noticed when opening a thread, that it tries to open all of the images at once,  so if you are trying to look at a new image near the end of the thread it keeps hopping about and jumping off screen as the other images load.  In our popular, long running threads with many images, this is not really necessary, as people would usually be just trying to look at the latest images that they have not already seen.

I have heard that forum software can offer a "lazy load" option that only loads images in that part of the thread which is currently on screen.  This could have a double benefit,  firstly that people can go straight to their pictures without the flickering and auto scrolling,  and secondly the forum can save on bandwidth,  as people would not be automatically loading pictures they were not going to look at.

If this platform has a "lazy load" option,  I would recommend giving it a try.

I thought so too, so much so that I introduced "lazy loading" on the forum not that long ago.

The feedback was all negative though, so it was removed.

https://peefans.com/topic/11888-business-as-usual-speed-issues-resolved/

Would be open to trying it again, but it seems that for many people it causes more issues than it solves sadly.

28 minutes ago, Admin said:

Would be open to trying it again, but it seems that for many people it causes more issues than it solves sadly.

Yes, from the comments in that thread, it seems like it's not a good option.

No need to try it on my account.   I just got a faster internet connection, so the full set of images loads quickly for me now anyway.

• Like 1