Questions for older members

Brutus

Guest UnabashedUser

Regrets? I've had a few -- but then again, too few to mention. --Frank Sinatra

Advice: 

• Never play cards with a man named "Doc" 
  • Never sit with your back to the door
  • Never draw to an inside straight
  • In a card game there's always a sucker. Try to determine who the sucker is before you sit down. If  you can't figure out who the sucker is, it's YOU.
  • Don't touch hot peppers and then play with yourself.
  • Never piss into the wind
  • Choose the Air Force over all other branches
  • Never argue with a cop.
  • Don't answer questions without a lawyer.
  • If you're on Facebook, get the hell off ASAP
  • If you go armed, keep it hidden.  Don't flash it. 
  • Never accept a "No" from a person who does not have the authority to say "Yes" . 
  • Once a woman sees your cock, it's almost irresistible to her. Deploy it early during makeouts.
  • Don't ask for anal unless you're willing to take something up the butt yourself.
Edited by UnabashedUser
42 minutes ago, Peefreak99 said:

DON'T LISSTNEN TO BULLSHIT MAINSTREAM MEDIA DON'T LISSTNEN TO EVERY INFLUENCER DON'T WORSHIP CELEBS LIKE THEY WERE GODS. DON'T BE SO FUCKING BLINDED TRY TO OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE WORLD AS IT REALLY IS. 

Well said.  Iam 36 so still a young man lol. Experiance is the best teacher so take advice people who have "been there, done that and have the tshirt" lol. 

Ask questions, don't belive everything you hear

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, spywareonya said:

I also regret that I did not underwent University because I was too poor, with my IQ and my capability to work 12 hours per day I could have faced many things

It is indeed a shame that your earlier life made university impossible. You are one of the most intelligent and hard working people I know and would have been tremendously successful there.

But even without uni you have learned to become fluent in many languages. That in itself is a notable achievement

But in the longer term the Black dragon and it's ice face teaches us that none of this matters in the bigger scheme of things. All that matters - all that you can take with you when this life ends - is the progression of your soul, and in that you have made more progress than Einstein or most of the other intellectual greats.

You are a giant amongst us when it comes to spiritual advancement. And no amount of uni could ever have taught you that.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 5:37 PM, UnabashedUser said:

Regrets? I've had a few -- but then again, too few to mention. --Frank Sinatra

Advice: 

• Never play cards with a man named "Doc" 
  • Never sit with your back to the door
  • Never draw to an inside straight
  • In a card game there's always a sucker. Try to determine who the sucker is before you sit down. If  you can't figure out who the sucker is, it's YOU.
  • Don't touch hot peppers and then play with yourself.
  • Never piss into the wind
  • Choose the Air Force over all other branches
  • Never argue with a cop.
  • Don't answer questions without a lawyer.
  • If you're on Facebook, get the hell off ASAP
  • If you go armed, keep it hidden.  Don't flash it. 
  • Never accept a "No" from a person who does not have the authority to say "Yes" . 
  • Once a woman sees your cock, it's almost irresistible to her. Deploy it early during makeouts.
  • Don't ask for anal unless you're willing to take something up the butt yourself.

Your list tells me a few things i didnt need to know, especially the reference to chillis, the lawyer, and anal.😁

• Haha 2

Thanks again to all who have spoken. I didn't expect this many replies and really do appreciate it.

@spywareonya, thank you for sharing such personal details about your unpleasant childhood. And as a side note, I don't expect to change your mind about university regrets but I can tell you from personal experience it's mostly full of morons. Many of my professors were dumb ideologues, and most of the classes were a painful waste of time, useless for my major. Add in mostly immature overgrown children, insane tuition costs that land you in a lifetime of debt, and then the true picture emerges. If I could rewind time and choose to avoid uni, I would.   

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Brutus said:

Thanks again to all who have spoken. I didn't expect this many replies and really do appreciate it.

@spywareonya, thank you for sharing such personal details about your unpleasant childhood. And as a side note, I don't expect to change your mind about university regrets but I can tell you from personal experience it's mostly full of morons. Many of my professors were dumb ideologues, and most of the classes were a painful waste of time, useless for my major. Add in mostly immature overgrown children, insane tuition costs that land you in a lifetime of debt, and then the true picture emerges. If I could rewind time and choose to avoid uni, I would.   

I would totally agree with you now, especially in the UK, a leftie ideology has saturated the education sector for years, and its filtered down to the students now and todays courses and attitudes perfectly reflect the damage its done. I now find myself wishing i had just gone straight from school into an apprenticeship and learnt a trade. I'd be much, much better off than i am today.

• Like 2
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:12 PM, steve25805 said:

But in the longer term the Black dragon and it's ice face teaches us that none of this matters in the bigger scheme of things. All that matters - all that you can take with you when this life ends - is the progression of your soul, and in that you have made more progress than Einstein or most of the other intellectual greats.

You are a giant amongst us when it comes to spiritual advancement. And no amount of uni could ever have taught you that.

12 hours ago, Brutus said:

I need to thank you both because your words intermingled to reach my soul along a very heart-touching subject

And indeed, you both covinced me

It's both romantic and embarassing to change in real-time as I read your posts… but it's also lovely. THANK YOU

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:53 PM, Peefreak99 said:

Im not that old but my mind is. What do i regret? Well doing bad things to people who did not deserve it and being driven by anger at society and that i never was lisstned to. And i also regret that i let some people get away with what they did and i let then use me as a shield. I also regret not letting the light in when it tried to reach me but these things are in the past i rather not be reminded of them. For the younger i say DON'T LISSTNEN TO BULLSHIT MAINSTREAM MEDIA DON'T LISSTNEN TO EVERY INFLUENCER DON'T WORSHIP CELEBS LIKE THEY WERE GODS. DON'T BE SO FUCKING BLINDED TRY TO OPEN YOUR EYES AND SEE THE WORLD AS IT REALLY IS. 

Thank you my friend for this intense confession. I love you so, and I am sure you will heal all that doesn't fit, both inside and outside...

• Love 4

Do something that makes money. By the time I started earning enough money to live on it was too late to travel and have fun and make the most of an independent existence. I thought that using my electronics and IT skills to their fullest would get me on in the future - it didn't, I should have done something mundane like fixing telephone lines!

• Like 2

First of all, can we just clarify that being old is an entirely different thing to having experience of life.  I think I qualify in the having experienced a few decades of post-puberty life, and my date of birth tells me I'm a certain age, but that doesn't mean I have to act it.

Advice would be

- Be bold (not brash, not over confident - just have sufficient confidence in yourself).  If there's someone on their don't be scared to talk to them - not to hit on them - just to chat. Anything further can develop from there. You don't have to be the loudest, richest, most outgoing in your peer group - just don't be locked inside your self by a lack of confidence to act.

- Particularly in the UK at the moment all young people are funnelled into higher education to get bette qualified - but as @Paulypeeps has alluded, if academia is not your thing then step out of line and find a trade.  It's just been exam results time here - lots of young people considering their options. Remember that the qualification that counts is only the last one - so if you've got the grades to go to college, once you've got  A levels / HND / HNC / ONC or whatever it isn't going to matter if you got an A or a C in Geography at school.  Similarly in a job, your gained skills whilst working make you incredibly marketable.

- Take your eyes off your phone and see what's happening in the world around you. Ignore that teenage tuber and look after the people around you. If you visit somewhere new drink it in. Get a basic simplest understanding of finance.

- On a related note, celebrity is one of the nastiest, tackiest things of the last couple of decades in my opinion. I work with a lot of up and coming musicians - you can count on your fingers how many have achieved a career out of entering a talent show (out of the hundreds of thousands that enter) - nobody is going to pick you to be the next manufactured idol, or its probably about 0.0001% likely.  Talent needs to be honed, developed and built up - it takes many, many hours of hard work.

- Keep your chin up - be realistic about yourself, but not overly negative, life is a rollercoaster - the highs are there for you to gain the energy to pass though the troughs.

- Don't do drugs, knives or guns. Don't hang in with those that do.

Edited by gldenwetgoose
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, Brutus said:

I've always valued input and wisdom from elders. 

I have two questions for anyone past their mid-thirties, particularly those who are into their 50's and beyond (such as @steve25805, or @Dr.P for example.)

1. What do you regret doing or not doing in your youth?

2. What do you currently see young people in their 20's doing or not doing that you now know from life experience is a terrible waste of precious time?

Thanks in advance to all who weigh in.

The only regret is not saying I love you to my dad before he died. What I have noticed they arent doing is not doing the best they could possibly can do no matter what you are doing.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, gldenwetgoose said:

First of all, can we just clarify that being old is an entirely different thing to having experience of life.  I think I qualify in the having experienced a few decades of post-puberty life, and my date of birth tells me I'm a certain age, but that doesn't mean I have to act it.

Advice would be

- Be bold (not brash, not over confident - just have sufficient confidence in yourself).  If there's someone on their don't be scared to talk to them - not to hit on them - just to chat. Anything further can develop from there. You don't have to be the loudest, richest, most outgoing in your peer group - just don't be locked inside your self by a lack of confidence to act.

- Particularly in the UK at the moment all young people are funnelled into higher education to get bette qualified - but as @Paulypeeps has alluded, if academia is not your thing then step out of line and find a trade.  It's just been exam results time here - lots of young people considering their options. Remember that the qualification that counts is only the last one - so if you've got the grades to go to college, once you've got  A levels / HND / HNC / ONC or whatever it isn't going to matter if you got an A or a C in Geography at school.  Similarly in a job, your gained skills whilst working make you incredibly marketable.

- Take your eyes off your phone and see what's happening in the world around you. Ignore that teenage tuber and look after the people around you. If you visit somewhere new drink it in. Get a basic simplest understanding of finance.

- On a related note, celebrity is one of the nastiest, tackiest things of the last couple of decades in my opinion. I work with a lot of up and coming musicians - you can count on your fingers how many have achieved a career out of entering a talent show (out of the hundreds of thousands that enter) - nobody is going to pick you to be the next manufactured idol, or its probably about 0.0001% likely.  Talent needs to be honed, developed and built up - it takes many, many hours of hard work.

- Keep your chin up - be realistic about yourself, but not overly negative, life is a rollercoaster - the highs are there for you to gain the energy to pass though the troughs.

- Don't do drugs, knives or guns. Don't hang in with those that do.

Very good advice my friend 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, lovegivingoral said:

The only regret is not saying I love you to my dad before he died. What I have noticed they arent doing is not doing the best they could possibly can do no matter what you are doing.

Im sorry for your loss. But trust me your dad knows you love him and he  hopes that you don't blaim yourself for anything. 

Edited by Peefreak99
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • 1 year later...

Take control of your own career as early as possible.   Whatever work you are in,  take courses in negotiating skills and selling skills,  and use them to promote your own advancement.  Study and take on new knowledge that will give you more options in your chosen career.

Never assume that your employer will care for your best interests.  Most of them don't give a damn.

Don't get fat at any age. That was my biggest mistake. It ruins not only your health, but your whole life, and the older you are,  the harder it is to slim down.

Pay yourself first.  That means, always invest ten percent of everything you earn, before you spend money on anything else at all.  (Invest in sensible things like quality  shares for example,  not wildcat schemes.) That may mean living in a smaller flat,  driving an older car,  waiting a few months more for that new phone.  That's fine.  Landlords,  car dealers and phone shops don't need your money as much as you do.  Pay yourself.   (Your investments will look like nothing for a few years,  but one day, maybe 20 years down the track, you will suddenly notice you have a LOT of money.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2019 at 9:32 PM, Brutus said:

I've always valued input and wisdom from elders. 

I have two questions for anyone past their mid-thirties, particularly those who are into their 50's and beyond (such as @steve25805, or @Dr.P for example.)

1. What do you regret doing or not doing in your youth?

2. What do you currently see young people in their 20's doing or not doing that you now know from life experience is a terrible waste of precious time?

Thanks in advance to all who weigh in.

Well I'm 57 so I qualify to answer...

Q1's answer: I regret NOT joining the (US) Air Force or Navy when I could have. My life would've turned out very different.  My parents (may God bless them) couldn't afford to send me to college so I had to go to work immediately after high school graduation. The experiences, both academic & socially, I missed out on also could've steered my life in a much different direction.

Q2's answer: The "kids" these days are wasting their precious time because they're so totally engrossed and obsessed with their heads in their cellphones; talking incessantly about... NOTHING! Every waking minute they're doing something with the phone. What happened to the days of being engaged in a one-on-one, in person conversation (barring these last several COVID months, naturally)?  When I was in my 20's being able to go out to bars & clubs legally to drink & dance was my greatest adventures at night. During the days, on my days off from work, I'd go hiking, camping or just drive and explore the world outside of my home town. There is such a lack of spontaneity to learn, broaden horizons, experience new things. The kids in their 20's have no knowledge of leading to no regard of history.

• Like 1
  • Love 1