What Song Are You Currently Listening To?

Admin

I joined a few months ago and already feel like I know some of you folks pretty well. For reasons I know you will understand I am still a bit scared about revealing too much that could identify me so I've not posted a lot but keep really wanting to. You are genuinely a kind bunch of folk! So as I massive music fan I thought I could make a splash (get it) here. 

I am loving the second Alex Cameron album at the moment, Forced Witness. It's a concept album broadly told from the perspective of a guy who is living a secret double life on the Internet. (don't really know why I relate). 

https://youtu.be/lpPm0S5GX0c

Please tell me how to properly link a youtube video

• Like 2

Hi @Pontepee - Huge thanks for your kind words - so glad you’re enjoying your time here and getting to know us. 

Normally just copying and pasting in the YouTube link should pop in the clip itself as you see above.  I’ve just tried it and it gives an ‘age related content’ message - so maybe that’s the reason. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, gldenwetgoose said:

Normally just copying and pasting in the YouTube link should pop in the clip itself as you see above.

I find it embeds properly when I do it from a PC, but from a phone it just appears as a text link. No idea why. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
10 hours ago, Pontepee said:

I joined a few months ago and already feel like I know some of you folks pretty well. For reasons I know you will understand I am still a bit scared about revealing too much that could identify me so I've not posted a lot but keep really wanting to. You are genuinely a kind bunch of folk! So as I massive music fan I thought I could make a splash (get it) here. 

I am loving the second Alex Cameron album at the moment, Forced Witness. It's a concept album broadly told from the perspective of a guy who is living a secret double life on the Internet. (don't really know why I relate). 

https://youtu.be/lpPm0S5GX0c

Please tell me how to properly link a youtube video

Wow! I like the song, and the video is great too. I tend to get emotionally quite involved in some songs / stories and I really hope the two protagonists are OK! Thanks for sharing.

(I have said it before, but I like this forum thread so much. It's introduced me to so much music I would never have found otherwise.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 8/3/2022 at 8:02 AM, Kupar said:

Wow! I like the song, and the video is great too. I tend to get emotionally quite involved in some songs / stories and I really hope the two protagonists are OK! Thanks for sharing.

(I have said it before, but I like this forum thread so much. It's introduced me to so much music I would never have found otherwise.)

Thank you. Realy glad to hear you l say that. Like I said previously I'm massive music fan and particularly lyrically driven music. The kind of thing you have to listen to, understand, and really can feel. 

It's great track, and so is the whole album, which is loosely written from the perspective of the same protagonist. 

It's worth noting that is not autobiographical, it is written from the point of view of a fictional character. It's quite self deprecating and he's relatable but not nessessaly a nice guy (but he knows it). 

Also the girl in the video is Alex Cameron's wife, she's in a lot of his videos. She's an actress and was the new Headteacher,  Hope, in the Netflix Series Sex Education if you've seen that. 

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Pontepee said:

Thank you. Realy glad to hear you l say that. Like I said previously I'm massive music fan and particularly lyrically driven music. The kind of thing you have to listen to, understand, and really can feel. 

It's great track, and so is the whole album, which is loosely written from the perspective of the same protagonist. 

It's worth noting that is not autobiographical, it is written from the point of view of a fictional character. It's quite self deprecating and he's relatable but not nessessaly a nice guy (but he knows it). 

Also the girl in the video is Alex Cameron's wife, she's in a lot of his videos. She's an actress and was the new Headteacher,  Hope, in the Netflix Series Sex Education if you've seen that. 

Thanks for the extra information. I am so behind the times when it comes to music really, but I too like songs where you have to listen to the lyrics (from the confessional singer-songwriter tradition think Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Suzanne Vega ... but there are many, many others of course). The point you make about knowing you're not really nice is an interesting one: that's there in some of Joni's work too (but in her case it's autobiographical lol).

Oh - I didn't realise that was Alex Cameron's wife (and I am one of the few people on the planet that hasn't seen Sex Education - we don't do Netflix; I know, I know...). 

Discovered this for the first time tonight. An absolutely mesmerising performance by the beautiful Angel Olsen. Couldn't take my eyes off it.  A great example of why you don't have to be technically musically brillliant to make brilliant music! @KuparI feel like she is channeling Joni so I hope you enjoy

54 minutes ago, gldenwetgoose said:

Before lock down, my friends' band used to have a regular residency slot on Friday nights - I never tired of trying to get them to add this to their set list.   It almost worked...

Brilliant track but can't help but sing the version from the Who musical, Tommy. With Elton John as the pinball wizard. What crazy times. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I was lying next to K the other night as this was playing, Those who know me know there's a romantic soul in there somewhere, and they won't be surprised that there were tears in my eyes as I listened to this. It's just perfect. The lyrics. The music, Ella's singing. The arrangement, and exquisite playing by the band (I think that's the arranger, the late, great Buddy Bregman, playing piano so sensitively). The song is from 1929; the performance from 1956. Immortal.

• Love 2
On 8/23/2022 at 7:00 PM, Kupar said:

I was lying next to K the other night as this was playing, Those who know me know there's a romantic soul in there somewhere, and they won't be surprised that there were tears in my eyes as I listened to this. It's just perfect. The lyrics. The music, Ella's singing. The arrangement, and exquisite playing by the band (I think that's the arranger, the late, great Buddy Bregman, playing piano so sensitively). The song is from 1929; the performance from 1956. Immortal.

Ella is so amazing. Heavenly voice. 💖

• Love 1