How Anonymous are we?

Guest UnabashedUser

You can be tracked by your heart waves by small phone sized instruments while clothed and walking on the street. It's as reliable as retina scan and far better than fingerprints. If you've ever had an EKG or MRI this info is on file. 

The govt's of the world are doing this right now. 

2 hours ago, UnabashedUser said:

You can be tracked by your heart waves by small phone sized instruments while clothed and walking on the street. It's as reliable as retina scan and far better than fingerprints. If you've ever had an EKG or MRI this info is on file.

For most people (including myself) the phone sends all this data anyway "for free" to multiple companies (ever noticed that you have to agree to "give access to gps data" for pretty much any app you have on your phone lol)!

5 hours ago, spywareonya said:

Anonymacy doesn't exist, we can just be careful, and fatalistically welcome the risk of living, loving, and posting our piss deed

W.r.t. anonymity in the internet: let's be honest, e.g. Google for sure has enough data about anyone of us to link our pee fetish-related internet activities to our "real identities". I guess they do not compute such things on a regular basis, but I am sure they could do that if they wanted to.

• Agree 3

I guess if anyone had a good enough reason to track us down and expose us, it would be easy enough. I have revealed my first name, the city and country in which I live, my age and gender and the kind of job I do. If all this and more were put together I suspect I could be tracked down. It is just a matter of anyone having good enough motive or reason to want to bother.

And there's the rub. Although only an ordinary footsoldier, so to speak, in my real life I am politically active, and under my real name am all over facebook politics forums and twitter with political posts. If I ever gained enough of a following to be influential, that is the point at which political opponents could see value in seeking dirt on me. 

Therein lies the inherent risk as I see it. So I wish to have my voice heard without standing out too much from the crowd.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Mmmm, I'm also not all that worried. My isp uses a group of ip addresses that equate to about 400km from where I live, mobile phones now have unrestricted numbers that don't ’belong’ to a particular Telco, and our life in this little country town is pretty bland.

This whole discussion came about over the Capital One hack, and while no cc and login details were nicked, over 100 million credit and loan applications were exposed. How much info is on a bank loan application?

The girl who did the hack was pretty clueless, she used her twitter/facebook name, she bragged about doing it in a chat room, and had the ’authorities’ on her doorstep fairly quickly. The ’authorities’ think that the data went nowhere, but what if she was hacked before they frog marched her away?

When corporations have a data breach, they go to great lengths telling people that credit card details are safe, but don't tell you what else has been taken. 

It amazing what shots of tequila and vodka can accomplish, lol.

• Agree 1

It amazes me the stuff that people open themselves up to on Facebook - and it's the most prolific platform.   There are all those 'fan sites' which carry the banner of a large popular company, eg. 'Kuoni Travel' with a logo and profile pic, they post 'Share to win a holiday of a lifetime' and loads of clueless muppets instantly do.  When you look at their 'about' tab, they're nothing to do with the main company - absolutely no contact details, nothing to link them other than a borrowed logo - yet you've shared your FB profile with them.  I've seen them for supermarkets offering a year's groceries, win a car, holiday, whatever - but supposedly sensible grown ups jumping in there.

Then there's the apps and filters, like that ageing app - which makes you look old.  Our company IT actually issued a company-wide global warning on that - Russian run, the terms and conditions were scary to say the least - giving a lifetime license to your content online!

• Agree 1

On facebook, my other social networking sites, and fanfiction platforms I use a fake last name. One of my biggest fears (aside from being doxxed/hacked/whatever) is that I'm going to put in all this work in college and then an employer is going to dig up my trashy, smutty, fanfiction and deny me a job lol! I'm sure with the different names and emails I used it's still possible, but still. I try to be careful. Once you post something on the internet it's out there forever and you can never get it back. I've even cut down my use of Facebook because people are getting fired left and right for posting stupid shit. One of my favorite quotes is "if you wouldn't shout it in the middle of Times Square, don't post it to social media." 

• Agree 1
Guest UnabashedUser
11 hours ago, Bacardi said:

On facebook, my other social networking sites, and fanfiction platforms I use a fake last name. One of my biggest fears (aside from being doxxed/hacked/whatever) is that I'm going to put in all this work in college and then an employer is going to dig up my trashy, smutty, fanfiction and deny me a job lol! I'm sure with the different names and emails I used it's still possible, but still. I try to be careful. Once you post something on the internet it's out there forever and you can never get it back. I've even cut down my use of Facebook because people are getting fired left and right for posting stupid shit. One of my favorite quotes is "if you wouldn't shout it in the middle of Times Square, don't post it to social media." 

One of the smartest and safest moves you can make is to delete Facebook and never go back.