Pee and Pregnancy

Question for those of you that may have been pregnant. What does pregnancy do to your bladder? Also, what does it feel like having the baby inside you kicking and hitting your bladder, as well as the urgency to go when it comes up?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Not having experienced it myself, I can't give a definitive answer, but I can relay some of my wife's experiences and those that I've read on the internet.

My wife did have to pee more regularly and smaller amounts than usual, which supports the theory that the bladder is reduced in size and that it has extra pressure applied by the baby.   The womb expands and pushes against the bladder, giving it less room to expand as it fills, so increasing pressure and therefore the need to pee with much less fluid in it.   My wife sometimes needed to find a toilet NOW!!  but generally she managed fine through her pregnancy with more than her usual number of trips to the toilet.    Some ladies say that they experience bladder leakage whilst pregnant and feel the need to wear pads etc.

The other factor of pregnancy is that after the birth, a lot of ladies find that everything stretches and muscles are not as strong or effective as they used to be.  Therefore, there could be lasting effects on bladder control.  That's why a lot of ladies have to do Kegel exercises following child birth.

Useful references:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_frequent-urination-during-pregnancy_237.bc

https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/symptoms-and-solutions/frequent-urination.aspx

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My first child used my bladder as a pillow.  They caught it on the ultrasound.  I would leak all the time. Even after the pregnancy.  I had surgery they put in the bladder sling which actually made my problem worse because the doctor pit it in to tight. I knew something wasn't right from the beginning but he told me it was normal he lied. It took 5 years fo find a doctor to agree with me and take the thing out. Because it was to tight i could completely empty my bladder so i had to piss all the time and leak.  I had to wear pads. It was starting to mess up my kidneys, but i think  they caught it in time before permanent damage.