What's happened to England?

I'm watching the Late Late Show with James Corden from London right now.  The show is based in Los Angeles, but Corden is a Brit.  Every year they do a week of shows from London.

Tonight, he has this girl group called Little Mix on.  I thought I was watching an act from the USA!  England produced all of the best rock and pop bands in history!  They set the trends.  Now it seems that they're following us.  I don't get it.  To me, the best USA bands are the Doors and the Beach Boys.  That's about it.  England has beat us in music for ages.   Ha ha!  It's true.

During the show, Corden said that Boris Johnson is likely to be the next Prime Minister.  When he said that, the entire theatre booed loudly!  Is this true?  Is Boris going to be the next PM?   Just my opinion, but he seems like a nutter.  An English version of Trump.  They both have hideous hair.  And, he was born in the same city...New York.  Is this an omen?  LOL!

What I'm getting at is...what the hell is going on in England?  My grandparents were from there and it makes me sad to see this.  It really does.

Can anyone offer comments?  Thanks so much.

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1

Im English.The trouble with England is that we are allowing our country to be dominated by minorities.A minority that voted to remain in the EU,for example,are dominating politics.I myself want Boris Johnson.But i also see the USA is becoming afraid of its own shadow,too much emphasis upon LGBT,Islamophobia etc.(Islamophobia was caused by Islam in the first place,9/11 etc).Boris Johnson is unpopular in some quarters because he called women wearing burkas,looking like letter boxes,or bank robbers.Of course hes right,but in todays crazy world,youre not allowed to speak your mind,or say what you think,in case you "offend" someone.Despite the fact,that millions of people will actually agree,but,oh no,you cant "offend" a minority can you?

The UK,and USA,together,could be a great alliance as we always were,yet nowadays,people seem afraid of their national pride,as if its wrong to be proud and strong in the world.

3 years ago,we voted to leave the EU,yet we are still in it.It costs us as a country about £40 billion a year,or about £80 per person.Our politicians mainly just have no courage to act in the name of the people.The fact is,the sort of people who will find James Corden(?)interesting are likely to not be right wing voters,so will boo people like Trump,Johnson,Farage.

Brexit is a divisive issue,but those people that voted to remain LOST the vote.So democracy,as i understand it,means the wishes of the majority count.The margin doesnt matter,it was 4% in favour of leave,but 1 vote counts in a democracy.So,politicians are worried for some reason about alienating the losers.

Once we do leave the fascists of the EU behind(for some reason,throughout European history,countries on the continent have always wanted to dominate the others,we will be well out of it.),then Britain will become a proud independent country again,more allied to our true American friends,than those annoying Europeans,who cant seem to be at peace with each other for more than 50 years.

We are going to hell in a handcart.

A narrow majority voted for Brexit upon the strength of a load of false promises. Now we know the truth a majority oppose it but they wont let us vote on it.

The governing party has become a joke and made of us an international laughing stock. They negotiated a Brexit deal without consulting anyone back home to see if we liked it and thus it was voted down in Parliament. Everyone hated it. Yet the EU negotiated it in good faith and refuses to waste time trying to negotiate anything else. The choice on offer is thus the negotiated deal, call the whole thing off and Remain which a majority now want anyway, or leave without a deal which every reputable economist and his uncle tell us will be economically disastrous.

And now the Tory party looks set to choose as our Prime Minister a character they know to be a charlatan, who was a hopeless foreign secretary, thinks only of his own personal advancement, shows every sign of being a narcissistic sociopath, is serially dishonest, and lazy to boot.

Furthermore he has the character of a total scumbag, evidence of which is a matter of public record. He has conspired with a friend to have a journalist beaten up, been sacked as a journalist for inventing quotes that no one said, serially cheats on his partners, has called black people "piccaninnies with watermelon smiles", muslim women "letterboxes", gay men "bum boys" and has argued that the police investigating past cases of child abuse is a waste of money. His own ill-thought words as foreign secretary are largely responsible for a British woman continuing to be locked up in Iran on false charges of spying.

Just look at this video in full to see the kind of scumbag likely to be our next Prime Minister....

What the fuck is happening to my country?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, F.W said:

A minority that voted to remain in the EU,for example,are dominating politics

But all the polling evidence points to the fact that now we know the stark reality a majority of the public want to Remain. Which is part of the reason why Leavers are running scared of the democratic will of the people, opposing a second vote on the actual reality before us with every breath.

1 hour ago, F.W said:

Boris Johnson is unpopular in some quarters because he called women wearing burkas,looking like letter boxes,or bank robbers.Of course hes right,but in todays crazy world,youre not allowed to speak your mind,or say what you think,in case you "offend" someone

Is he also right to call black people piccaninnies with watermelon smiles? Or gay men bum boys? Because there is a line which when crossed indicates bigotry which is an ugly thing in a leader. He and Trump will be two of a kind in that respect.

1 hour ago, F.W said:

3 years ago,we voted to leave the EU,yet we are still in it.It costs us as a country about £40 billion a year,or about £80 per person

It will cost us a whole lot more than that to crash out with no deal. And much of that money in any case comes back in the form of EU grants and regional aid. And a large chunk is used to fund our EU parliamentarians, civil servants, and their pensions, the latter of which we will still be legally obligated to pay even when we leave. Which is good news for Farage cos he has a very lucrative EU pension.

And it has been three years because that is how long it took for the government to negotiate a deal no one wants without consulting anybody to find out what they did want. Not even their coalition partners, the DUP. The fact that we know much more now about what the actual options are and that no best of both worlds deal is on offer, and that three years have passed allowing many more adults whose future this is to come of age, makes putting this back to the people a no brainer and the only democratic thing to do.

1 hour ago, F.W said:

Brexit is a divisive issue,but those people that voted to remain LOST the vote

By a narrow margin yes, and on the strength of utterly dishonest promises. Now we know the reality polling suggests a majority favour Remain. The strength of the Brexit vote relied on two main groups, one of them being the racists and xenophobes out there. Because whilst it is true that not every Brexit supporter is a racist or xenophobe, every racist and xenophobe is a Brexit supporter. But there were never enough of them alone to win it, though it could never have been won without them. The narrow win also relied upon the millions of the disgruntled working classes whose most pressing economic concerns had been ignored by out of touch politicians from all main parties for decades. They lashed out at the Establishment over this issue, and to a large extent many of them still are.

1 hour ago, F.W said:

Once we do leave the fascists of the EU behind

The EU are a collection of mostly wholly democratic nation states, notwithstanding a worrying right wing populist surge in some of them. To call them fascists is a grotesque distortion of reality of almost parallel universe proportions.

I must finally add for clarification that though I have openly disagreed with you here, I do so purely as an ordinary member and not a mod. And it is just politics and nothing personal. I value you as a great member and contributor to our forum.

• Agree 3

Johnson in his younger university days was also a member of the infamous Bullingdon club, basically a bunch of rich kids going around getting drunk and wilfully trashing and vandalising pubs, clubs and restaurants for fun in the knowledge that their rich parents will pay whatever it takes to fix things.

One of their charming initiation rituals involves burning a £50 note in front of a homeless person.

Is this the kind of absolute cunt we want running the country? Never in my name.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, steve25805 said:

Johnson in his younger university days was also a member of the infamous Bullingdon club, basically a bunch of rich kids going around getting drunk and wilfully trashing and vandalising pubs, clubs and restaurants for fun in the knowledge that their rich parents will pay whatever it takes to fix things.

One of their charming initiation rituals involves burning a £50 note in front of a homeless person.

Is this the kind of absolute cunt we want running the country? Never in my name.

It seems that he and Trump were cut from the same cloth.

• Agree 1

Excuse me for living under a rock (or 25,000km away) but where does the Monachy stand in all this? There was a time where Kings and Queens led armies to fight for the country, are they just standing by bickering who is going to be next in line for a pretend throne?

Your news has dried up here, nothing on tv since Teresa was ridden out of town on a rail, nothing on Brexit, bugger all about what's happening. Mrs gets online trying to read news (Gaurdian and what ever) but she leaves in disgust, bloody sites are infested with adds, according to her, lol.

Whats the industry like, do you export anything? Is everything imported from the EU? Could you live independently from the EU like you did previously?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

Excuse me for living under a rock (or 25,000km away) but where does the Monachy stand in all this? There was a time where Kings and Queens led armies to fight for the country, are they just standing by bickering who is going to be next in line for a pretend throne?

Your news has dried up here, nothing on tv since Teresa was ridden out of town on a rail, nothing on Brexit, bugger all about what's happening. Mrs gets online trying to read news (Gaurdian and what ever) but she leaves in disgust, bloody sites are infested with adds, according to her, lol.

Whats the industry like, do you export anything? Is everything imported from the EU? Could you live independently from the EU like you did previously?

The popularity of the monarchy here is utterly dependent upon it being seen to be above politics. And this is essential in any case. The moment an unelected monarch starts throwing his or her weight around in a democracy, then the monarchy's continued existence comes into question. Today in the UK the monarch is mostly just a figurehead.

About 44% of our exports are to the EU with a similar level for imports. This is natural since geographically they are our closest trading partners. If we leave the EU with no deal that says otherwise, all our currently tariff free imports from there will become subject to tariffs, so will become more expensive. Typically cars for example will become 20% more expensive. Our own exports will also become subject to tariffs and thus become much more expensive in Europe. In practical terms this will mean many of our exporters being no longer able to compete. There will also be a raft of new customs delays at our ports and points of entry.

Many large businesses, particularly banking and finance, are looking to move offshore to Europe and are already making contingency plans. Our car manufacturing industry is collapsing with factory after factory closing and relocating to other EU countries. Inward investment has dropped to a trickle and economic growth rates for the UK are now amongst the lowest of the industrialised nations. And Brexit hasn't even happened yet.

@Scot_Lover, you can tell your other half that her people were much more sensible than the English. They voted by a margin of 62% to Remain. Problem is, there are only 5 or 6 million Scots in Scotland but about 54 million English in England, way too many of the latter being knuckle-dragging Sun or Daily Mail readers. The sensible majority of Scots were simply swamped by English Leavers in the referendum.