Peeing after Ultrasound

8 minutes ago, Bacardi said:

I had one with all of my pregnancies, which didn't all require a full bladder but I still filled up because I was told it was optimal. It's torture. Having to pee so badly and then having them press the want into your abdomen. My first I had literally almost peed all over the examination table, and as they were going over the results I had my legs crossed till they released me and I ran to the bathroom, leaving my husband behind lol.

I hear it's worse with inter vaginal ultrasounds, or whatever they're called.

Wow, thank you for being so open about your experiences haha. During the time you were at the office having the ultrasound, did they ever ask you if you had a full bladder or if you had to pee?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jayne78 said:

Omg I can remember having my ultra sound for both my kids and having  to have a full bladder. With the 2nd one I took a spare pair of knickers and I needed them. 

Does your bladder need to be completely full or partially full before they do an ultrasound?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, rajpatel1993 said:

Wow, thank you for being so open about your experiences haha. During the time you were at the office having the ultrasound, did they ever ask you if you had a full bladder or if you had to pee?

No and no. They told me at my GYNO appointment that it would be best if I had a full bladder, but not required. I think it's to make mapping organs and babies easier but I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

I completely filled for my first ultrasound in my first pregnancy.  I wasn't told to, but i heard that it was something pregnant women needed to do.  Of course i arrived at the office full and had to wait a very long time to be seen.  There was an issue with scheduling or something.

Anyway, when the tech started the ultrasound, she commented on my full bladder and asked if i did that for her.  I said i did and she said thanks, but it wasn't nescessary.  Apparently a full bladder is only needed very early in a pregnancy.  As the bladder sits behind the uterus, filling up will push the uterus closer to the edge which helps capture the images.  Once the pregnancy has progressed enough and the baby has grown, the added pressure isn't needed.

So i had to endure the whole scan in complete misery.  I needed to pee so very bad.  I don't even remember the relief after.  All i remember is the pain during it.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Lilipee said:

I completely filled for my first ultrasound in my first pregnancy.  I wasn't told to, but i heard that it was something pregnant women needed to do.  Of course i arrived at the office full and had to wait a very long time to be seen.  There was an issue with scheduling or something.

Anyway, when the tech started the ultrasound, she commented on my full bladder and asked if i did that for her.  I said i did and she said thanks, but it wasn't nescessary.  Apparently a full bladder is only needed very early in a pregnancy.  As the bladder sits behind the uterus, filling up will push the uterus closer to the edge which helps capture the images.  Once the pregnancy has progressed enough and the baby has grown, the added pressure isn't needed.

So i had to endure the whole scan in complete misery.  I needed to pee so very bad.  I don't even remember the relief after.  All i remember is the pain during it.

Wow haha. Was the urge to pee during that ultrasound even worse since you were already pregnant?

15 minutes ago, Bacardi said:

No and no. They told me at my GYNO appointment that it would be best if I had a full bladder, but not required. I think it's to make mapping organs and babies easier but I'm not so sure.

But do women need a full bladder when going in for a pelvic examination as well?

10 hours ago, rajpatel1993 said:

But do women need a full bladder when going in for a pelvic examination as well?

Im not quite sure. I vaguely remember needing one for an ovarian cyst and I thought I remembered seeing in the pamphlet that a full bladder was required, but as you can imagine those exams arent too comfortable so as soon as I stopped feeling pain I cancelled the appointment lol.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I was once an outpatient registration clerk at a hospital. Whenever I'd get a full bladder ultrasound patient, I'd register her In slow motion. Never got to see one wet, but the "I'm gonna pee my pants. I'M GONNA PEE MY PANTS!" And the squirming were wonderful.  😁

BTW there's another full bladder test called a voiding cystosomethingorother where you actually have to pee on the xray table during the test! I should have been a uroradiologist.  😆

• Like 1
  • Cheeky 1
1 hour ago, Kelly2699 said:

I have had many ultrasounds and have leaked during some of them.

I have posted before about a medical ultrasound earlier, but I am a guy, so that may not be what you were looking for.   I would like to hear about some of your experiences if you want to share.

1 hour ago, Kelly2699 said:

For my ultrasound I was told to drink 1.5 liters of water 2 hours before my appointment. The morning of the appointment I did my morning routine as usual. I downed the 1.5 liters of water. I was pretty desperate when I left the house, the drive to the clinic was terrible, I felt every bump. When I arrived at the clinic I slowly got out of my car and walked inside the clinic. I went to the receptionist desk and told me to sign these papers and then sit down and wait so I did. I only waited 10 minutes ( felt like 2 hours ). The doctor called me back and I was BURSTING as I walked back to the ultrasound room. The doctor told me to lay down on the table. I winced as the water sloshed in my bladder as I climbed on the table. I pulled my pants down to my hips and lifted my shirt up and the doctor put the ultrasound jell on my belly. The doctor pushed the ultrasound probe into my upper belly and slowly moved it down towards my bladder, pressing harder. I was sure I would pee myself. My bladder was screaming for relief and I was trying so hard not to pee. She moved the probe over my bladder and pressed, I said "I can't hold it anymore, I really need to pee" she said "If you pee now you will have to reschedule". She pushed and prodded my bladder for the next 15 minutes and then she told me to roll onto my side, so I did. She placed the ultrasound probe on my lower back, she reached her hand around to my belly and presses and I leaked alot

Did the tech. notice the leakage?  I bet the release afterward must have been incredible feeling and a huge pee.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2022 at 3:43 PM, Chrissy89 said:

I remember these clearly. Having the nurse press in when you needed was so hard. Such a good relief afterwards tho. 

the weird jelly they put on you is just cold and it leaves you with a gooey feeling. 

The relief afterwards is the most amazing feeling after holding a very full bladder and the doctor pressing on your bladder.

• Love 1