Favorite War Movie

On 5/20/2019 at 2:20 PM, spywareonya said:

Difficult for me

I love war movies on a morbid stance and chose one is Beyond my capabilities

If I have to drunk-reply so up to quickness more than well pondered reflections, well Apocalypse Now but it's not a war movie, just among my favourite for a deep list of reasons

Another I loved morbidly is The Enemy Below

Also Enemy at the Gates and The Thin Red Line

Jarhead too, though it's different

I also adored Midway and on a general stance I prefer war movies from old times rather than modern ones

The last I really found realistic and touching is Fury

Have to admit I have not yet saw Dunkirk

Not necessarily ahahahhahahah

I have saw maybe half of all war movies ever produced!!!

The Sniper part at the end of the movie is GLORIOUS

and the "Micky Mouse Death March" is the apotheosys of the madness that war can generate

great choice

Ok, yes, I dig that!!!

Marvellous but sometimes… the Director is too emphatic

I love the acting more than the direction

You are right on the technical part, yes

It says war movies and then "let's just START with war movies"

But I wanna tell you one thing:

if the title was "favourite movie", I would have not entered this thread. It was the WAR movie that caught my attention

The recent Dunkirk was crap,i thought massively overrated.Curiously as well,for most of the film,the Germans are referred to merely as "the enemy".Not the "jerries"or the krauts as most troops in the British Army would have called them.The 1958 version with John Mills is the best.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Sink the Bismarck has great special effects,like the pilots eye view from a Swordfish torpedo bomber.

Tora Tora Tora,is very wordy,but does tell a good story of the Japanese deceptions to the USA before Pearl Harbour.

The 1966 Battle of the Bulge,is very ahistorical,BUT it does tell a vague story about the Ardennes offensive of Xmas '44.Robert Shaw as the german tank leader is brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
17 hours ago, F.W said:

The recent Dunkirk was crap,i thought massively overrated.Curiously as well,for most of the film,the Germans are referred to merely as "the enemy".Not the "jerries"or the krauts as most troops in the British Army would have called them.The 1958 version with John Mills is the best.

Very interesting

Overrated you say, uh?

Mmmh… many says it has superb directing and great acting, but I never felt so much a pull toward it...

• Love 2
22 hours ago, F.W said:

I felt the movie dragged on, not alot of action. It was the actual story behind the movie that I was interested in

• Like 1
On 5/22/2019 at 3:56 PM, F.W said:

The 1966 Battle of the Bulge,is very ahistorical,BUT it does tell a vague story about the Ardennes offensive of Xmas '44.Robert Shaw as the german tank leader is brilliant.

@F.W

I'll have to view Battle Of The Bulge again as I saw it many years ago, when I was a kid.  My uncle was at that horrible battle.  Luckily, he came back alive and didn't get wounded.  But, he was never quite the same.  That was the most horrible battle in U.S. military history!

8 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

@F.W

I'll have to view Battle Of The Bulge again as I saw it many years ago, when I was a kid.  My uncle was at that horrible battle.  Luckily, he came back alive and didn't get wounded.  But, he was never quite the same.  That was the most horrible battle in U.S. military history!

Actually the bloodiest day in us army history was June 6, 1944. D Day, 2500 American souls lost their lives that day

• Like 1
3 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Actually the bloodiest day in us army history was June 6, 1944. D Day, 2500 American souls lost their lives that day

Sorry, speedy.  You're wrong.  The Battle Of The Bulge made the D-Day Invasion at Normandy look like a picnic.  I used the word "battle" not "day."

The Battle Of The Bulge had a total of 1.3 million soldiers fighting for 6 weeks in the winter, from December 1944 to January 1945.  There were 800,000 Americans against 500,000 Germans.  Even though the Germans were outnumbered, they had more artillery power.  The American casualties are below.

from Wikipedia:
"An official report by the United States Department of the Army lists:
19,246 Killed
62,489 Wounded
26,612 POW or MIA
The Battle of the Bulge was the bloodiest battle for U.S. forces in World War II."

In addition, there were 3,000 civilians killed in the area of the battle.

No other U.S. battle comes close.  Fact.  (I'm excluding the Civil War as all of those killed or injured were Americans.)

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, 2prnot2p said:

Sorry, speedy.  You're wrong.  The Battle Of The Bulge made the D-Day Invasion at Normandy look like a picnic.  I used the word "battle" not "day."

The Battle Of The Bulge had a total of 1.3 million soldiers fighting for 6 weeks in the winter, from December 1944 to January 1945.  There were 800,000 Americans against 500,000 Germans.  Even though the Germans were outnumbered, they had more artillery power.  The American casualties are below.

from Wikipedia:
"An official report by the United States Department of the Army lists:
19,246 Killed
62,489 Wounded
26,612 POW or MIA
The Battle of the Bulge was the bloodiest battle for U.S. forces in World War II."

In addition, there were 3,000 civilians killed in the area of the battle.

No other U.S. battle comes close.  Fact.  (I'm excluding the Civil War as all of those killed or injured were Americans.)

Sorry I miss read it, your right about the battle of the bulge. I refer to is as the  ardennes offensive. Americans call it battle of the bulge. Same battle. 

It was Germany's last ditch effort to swing the war in their favor.

The battle of hurtgen forest was another brutal one

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

Der Untergang (Downfall), a German language film about the last days of Hitler in the bunker and the fighting for Berlin.

Very historically accurate.

Amazing

I just cant stand movies where Hitler is present for more than 5 minutes

A poor retard controlled by Himmler (and his sexually deviated ideals of physical perfection) killed 30 millions of people and created the situations for the H bomb to be invented and for Europe to be indebted with USA forever

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

Amazing

I just cant stand movies where Hitler is present for more than 5 minutes

A poor retard controlled by Himmler (and his sexually deviated ideals of physical perfection) killed 30 millions of people and created the situations for the H bomb to be invented and for Europe to be indebted with USA forever

Hitler was in large part the monster he was cos he was off his head on amphetamines, a major component in meds he took.

Anyone with much experience of amphetamines might be aware of their ability to create paranoia, warped outlooks, and moral distortion and impulses stretched to extremes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
15 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

Hitler was in large part the monster he was cos he was off his head on amphetamines, a major component in meds he took.

Anyone with much experience of amphetamines might be aware of their ability to create paranoia, warped outlooks, and moral distortion and impulses stretched to extremes.

Very interesting!!!

14 minutes ago, peeingone said:

You can't count all WWII deaths on Hitler lots of people caused WWII

Mine was just a summing up, WW2 was wanted and planned by a lot of people obviously, the Thule Gesellschaft had been a major study for me

• Like 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, peeingone said:

And Downfall is a good movie haha they use one scene from that movie to create funny parody videos where the subtitles are changed.

I have seen some of these. They are very funny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 5/26/2019 at 3:26 PM, steve25805 said:

Hell the whole German army was on methamphetamine's. The Hitler youth were very fierce and brutal fighting force. They were just kids but indoctrinated their whole lives plus being on meth and schnapps made them feel invisible 

My great uncle fought against them. He served in the Canadian army. He went overseas in 1941 and didn't return home till 1946. 

Edited by speedy3471
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, speedy3471 said:

They were just kids but indoctrinated their whole lives plus being on meth and schnapps made them feel invincible 

It's embarassing how this can craft a boy, with a soul and feelings and hopes and fears, into a sadistical mass-murderer

• Agree 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

It's embarassing how this can craft a boy, with a soul and feelings and hopes and fears, into a sadistical mass-murderer

I never got the chance to meet my great uncle, but my dad said he was very much a changed man. He carried the scars of the war for the rest of his life

• Like 1
  • Love 1
25 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I never got the chance to meet my great uncle, but my dad said he was very much a changed man. He carried the scars of the war for the rest of his life

He meant, inside his heart?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

He meant, inside his heart?

Yes. He was scared in his heart from what he seen and had to do to his fellow man

He was also wounded several times. He had a box full of shrapnel that came out of his body

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
12 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Yes. He was scared in his heart from what he seen and had to do to his fellow man

He was also wounded several times. He had a box full of shrapnel that came out of his body

Thank you for sharing this with us

It meant a lot to me

• Like 1