Peeing and Diabetes

I have heard that if you are drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, it may indicate diabetes. But I have been tested and both my fasting blood test and a1c are all completely normal so I am not diabetic. However, I always feel thirsty and I drink lots of water throughout the day. When I wake up every morning, I may even chug 2 or 3 glasses of water, I still feel like drinking more. I know some of you will tell me to go ask a doctor, but I am too embarrassed obviously. I did ask for a blood test and a1c, but my doctor has no clue about what I am into lol. They just told me I don't have diabetes. What do you guys think?

• Like 1

If you're at all concernmed about this my advice would be to see a health care professional, although it seems as though you've done that and I've ruled our Diabetes as a cause.  Interestingly about 5 years ago I was tested for a number of things - the NHS tend to do that to people once they turn 50 - and they found that I was a Type 2 Diabetic although I didn't have any of the classic symptoms associated with Diabetes such as thirst or excessively frequent urination.  

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 7:12 PM, rajpatel1993 said:

I have heard that if you are drinking a lot of water and peeing a lot, it may indicate diabetes. But I have been tested and both my fasting blood test and a1c are all completely normal so I am not diabetic. However, I always feel thirsty and I drink lots of water throughout the day. When I wake up every morning, I may even chug 2 or 3 glasses of water, I still feel like drinking more. I know some of you will tell me to go ask a doctor, but I am too embarrassed obviously. I did ask for a blood test and a1c, but my doctor has no clue about what I am into lol. They just told me I don't have diabetes. What do you guys think?

Go back for a blood test.

I was getting similar symptoms and saw a doc where I was given the all clear.

But the symptoms grew worse and others appeared so I went back 18 months later and was diagnosed with diabetes.

As well as thirst and frequent need to pee, other symptoms can include cramps, especially in the feet, frequent and sudden bouts of intense tiredness, and blurred vision.

8 minutes ago, kewet said:

I have diabetes type 2 since about 20 years ago and I dont drink a lot and dont pee a lot. Cant remember when I last had to get out of bed to pee.

I have Type 2 diabetes and lately have been thirsty a lot and drinking a lot and my sleep is very interrupted by the need to pee every couple of hours or so.

But one of the meds I am prescribed is a diuretic which dehydrates by causing frequent peeing, because this helps flush out blood sugars and keep levels down. This of course also induces thirst.

So I cannot be sure whether what I am experiencing is due to high blood sugars or simply to my meds.

Last time I was concerned about such symptoms blood tests revealed that my blood sugar levels were pretty good so it was the meds.

But since then it appears to have gotten a little worse, so having a blood test next week to check.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, steve25805 said:

I have Type 2 diabetes and lately have been thirsty a lot and drinking a lot and my sleep is very interrupted by the need to pee every couple of hours or so.

But one of the meds I am prescribed is a diuretic which dehydrates by causing frequent peeing, because this helps flush out blood sugars and keep levels down. This of course also induces thirst.

So I cannot be sure whether what I am experiencing is due to high blood sugars or simply to my meds.

Last time I was concerned about such symptoms blood tests revealed that my blood sugar levels were pretty good so it was the meds.

But since then it appears to have gotten a little worse, so having a blood test next week to check.

I hope all goes well for you, Steve.  I have one of my periodic blood tests followed by an appointment with the practice nurse next week.  I must remember to take an early morning pee sample with me!