DE-inventions.

F.W

10 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

Adjustable jawed "crescent" wrench.  Rapidly  they become slackjawed and useless, dangerously so as they're then very prone to slippage under load leading to smashed fingers when they let go. Busted knuckles, skinned fingers  things to look for on a good mechanic who knows his stuff.

Holy fuck they should be outlawed!!!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, UnabashedUser said:

Adjustable jawed "crescent" wrench.  Rapidly  they become slackjawed and useless, dangerously so as they're then very prone to slippage under load leading to smashed fingers when they let go. Busted knuckles, skinned fingers  things to look for on a good mechanic who knows his stuff.

Many times I've skinned my knuckles using then Haha. I've never actually broken any knuckles with them, you a few guys who have tho

The older phones had better antennas and power because the older cell towers were further away. If you're at the edge of coverage the older phones beat the new ones hands down.

The old analog phones were 3 watts, the digital one 0.3watts of power. Know wonder why they don't work as well.

On my farm i use 50watt VHF two way radios, they have about a 60km range

• Haha 1
Guest UnabashedUser
On 4/15/2019 at 10:09 AM, speedy3471 said:

The old analog phones were 3 watts, the digital one 0.3watts of power. Know wonder why they don't work as well.

On my farm i use 50watt VHF two way radios, they have about a 60km range

The current run of Chinese VHF/UHF transceivers is excellent value for the money. Baofeng, Quansheng, handhelds at 40 dollars and 50w mobiles around 130 dollars. Same factories produce the pricey Motorolas using the same technology.  You really need them in agriculture.

The current run of Chinese VHF/UHF transceivers is excellent value for the money. Baofeng, Quansheng, handhelds at 40 dollars and 50w mobiles around 130 dollars. Same factories produce the pricey Motorolas using the same technology.  You really need them in agriculture.

The Radios I run are vertex standard. With a multi frequency antenna and the bracket they run about $400.00 here

The trouble is, as much as I hate the phone permanately attached to me, I seem to rely on it more than ever. 

My servers in the garage are available to me anywhere, the Microsoft Azure account is available anywhere, if any of my 6 clients have a problem, I'm onto it in minutes. 

If I ever lost my phone, I'd be in a world of hurt, because of the weird logon requirements of Azure, I can access it via Powershell with no administrator password, it's horrible. Everything at home is available on my phone, it's scary what I can do, even more scary that I allowed it, lol. 

Would I give it up? No, because it's so handy, so helpful, so useful. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, owlman76 said:

We use Mitex on our farm, they've got a range of about 6 miles on a 5watt output, I've got a Leixen in my Landrover, that has a much longer range, I can call up from home on that and reach the farm. As you say radios are a vital bit of kit.

Our farm would be lost without radios. Even in a developed country like Canada we have fields without cell phone signal haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, UnabashedUser said:

Swedish nut-fucker

Norweigan Nut Lathe

Left handed thumb detector 

• Like 1
Guest UnabashedUser
5 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

I've never heard them called these names before hahaha

Sophie has either grown up in a garage, owns one now, or is a motorhead. My compliments, Sophie. New names for them here as well. Mostly I just call them mutha-fukkin-sumbitches. <grin>

13 minutes ago, UnabashedUser said:

Sophie has either grown up in a garage, owns one now, or is a motorhead. My compliments, Sophie. New names for them here as well. Mostly I just call them mutha-fukkin-sumbitches. <grin>

I didn't know that about her, very cool