Will we be extinct 1000 years from now?

Personally, I think it's only 50-50.

Worst case scenario is that we might have so fucked up the climate that we set off an irreversible runaway greenhouse effect, which would ultimately cause not just us but all life here to become extinct. Could it happen within 1000 years? Well we might have gone well past the point of no return long before then if we don't change our ways.

Then of course is the ultimate threat of nuclear war. There is always the risk that sooner or later some nutter with access to nukes will think nuclear war is a good idea. Would that make us extinct or would a few of us survive?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally think no, but here I call upon my personal faith so I am "cheating"

Humanity is under the scope of alien races which consider us interesting, so simply we won't be allowed to become extincted, even if this would mean force us to act properly

And I actually mean attack the Earth, kill 99% of the population, nuclearize every life form after abducting a bunch of survivors with interesting DNA, and then repopulate the Earth through them, after eliminating latent radioactivity with some yet-unknown technology and re-Earthform our planet with plants and animal like a Noah's ark

If computed WITHOUT this scenario, I still personally believe we will still be here in a millennia, because I am convinced we will become able to amend our errors against climate and about pollution

Obviously billions will die but they should have never been born at all (plus souls are immortal) so it's no big deal

Sooner or later, the world will reach a level where only those willing to be cautious and cooperative will survive, and from that moment onward, all will be fine

The only problem of this planet is simply the existence of humans that cares not enough for Others or for ethical and scientifical cautiousness

They must go, either by teaching newborn (that will substitue them upon their natural Death) to be goodhearted individuals, or through some wars that will sooner or later break out

But after it all, some will survive… and in that brave new world, there will be room for pragmatic survival of the fittest, where fittest means the long-sighted and good-soulled

So my answer is a definitive no, at least if you ask me...

Edited by spywareonya
  • Love 3

I don't think nuclear war will happen in my lifetime, likey not at all. With mutually assured destruction I can't see any nations going to that extreme. Iam sure they will come close sometime. Destabilizing a country and invading is just about as good as totally wiping them off the map

As for being here in a 1000 years iam hoping so hahah. But I firmly believe that the earth can only support so many people. The way the world population keeps growing we can't support them all. Hell just feeding that many people is almost impossible. As cities grow more and more farm land comes out of production and is swallowed up by cities. When there is a natural disaster or something along that line I think its mother nature balancing the books. It's a morbid thought but that's what I think 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

I don't think nuclear war will happen in my lifetime, likey not at all. With mutually assured destruction I can't see any nations going to that extreme

But think. What if Hitler had nukes even if the rest of us had them too? Here was a man, essentially deranged and going down to defeat, who wanted to take the rest of the world with him if he could. Would he have hesitated? I don't think so. This realisation means that we could only be one Hitler away from nuclear war.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, spywareonya said:

I personally think no, but here I call upon my personal faith so I am "cheating"

Humanity is under the scope of alien races which consider us interesting, so simply we won't be allowed to become extincted, even if this would mean force us to act properly

And I actually mean attack the Earth, kill 99% of the population, nuclearize every life form after abducting a bunch of survivors with interesting DNA, and then repopulate the Earth through them, after eliminating latent radioactivity with some yet-unknown technology and re-Earthform our planet with plants and animal like a Noah's ark

If computed WITHOUT this scenario, I still personally believe we will still be here in a millennia, because I am convinced we will become able to amend our errors against climate and about pollution

Obviously billions will die but they should have never been born at all (plus souls are immortal) so it's no big deal

Sooner or later, the world will reach a level where only those willing to be cautious and cooperative will survive, and from that moment onward, all will be fine

The only problem of this planet is simply the existence of humans that cares not enough for Others or for ethical and scientifical cautiousness

They must go, either by teaching newborn (that will substitue them upon their natural Death) to be goodhearted individuals, or through some wars that will sooner or later break out

But after it all, some will survive… and in that brave new world, there will be room for pragmatic survival of the fittest, where fittest means the long-sighted and good-soulled

So my answer is a definitive no, at least if you ask me...

So essentially, you believe that, although many of us could die, higher powers would never let us become extinct or all life here to end?

I put a lot of faith in your beliefs because I think you have access to higher knowledge. Doesn't mean I won't think for myself or even disagree with you or think you wrong occasionally. I would never totally surrender my own independence of thought to anyone, not even you. But I think you respect me for that. Nevertheless I put a lot of faith in the things you claim to know because you are both sincere and knowledgeable about spiritual aspects, and the fact that independently I have often reached similar conclusions itself lends massive trust to your great knowledge.

So the fact that you do not believe we will be allowed to totally destroy ourselves or our planet is very reassuring. I now think our chances of survival are much better than 50-50 because we have higher forces on our side.

• Love 1

I don't believe we'll be extinct in 1,000 years unless an asteroid hits the earth or some other catastrophic event occurs.  Humans are very adaptive and, despite all the warnings about our climate, etc., I think we'll find a way to survive longer than 1,000 years.  Well, one can hope. 🙂

But, in about 4.5 billion years, all of the hydrogen at the sun's core will be depleted and the fusion of it into helium will cease.  Then, we're in trouble...IF we're alive then.  LOL!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
8 hours ago, steve25805 said:

But think. What if Hitler had nukes even if the rest of us had them too? Here was a man, essentially deranged and going down to defeat, who wanted to take the rest of the world with him if he could. Would he have hesitated? I don't think so. This realisation means that we could only be one Hitler away from nuclear war.

I think not.The Germans and the Japanese both had stockpiles of chemical weapons which they never used.So i think if they had developed a nuclear bomb,at the same time the americans did,it maybe would have given a bargaining chip perhaps..I dont think even they would have used the A bomb on Germany anyway,as their level of resistance was nowhere near the fanaticism of Japan.

• Agree 1

I think in the next 1000 years mankind will have to change,rather become extinct.What is for sure is that petrol will eventually run out,i think in as little as 100 years i read.So our ways of life will end.Air travel will end.How can you power an aircraft with solar power,and expect it to fly farther than a few miles until it needs re-charging?

Perhaps we will have to return to sail and steam again for sea travel.Road transport will be more electric and less efficient.Maybe freight will be horse drawn again.

But i think mankind will go through many disasters over the next 1000 years,millions will die through drought,lack of food,disease.There may be coming pandemics like the bubonic plague,which now is thought to be more than just passed on by rats,but actually a form of Ebola,which has about a 95% fatality rate.All us european types,now have immunity to the type of plague that ravaged Europe between 1300s and 1600s,due to our ancestors thus surviving.

But all it will take is for viruses and bacteria to mutate and medicine maybe wont be able to cure them.

The Gonorrhea bacteria is now resistant to many anti-biotics.Maybe in future sexually transmitted diseases will mutate into lethal forms..You are ok provided you never attempt to breed.Thus extinction by lack of offspring...Who knows.The future is sure scary for mankind.Maybe in 10000 years the earth will be dominated by life forms yet to evolve.Maybe our Chimpanzee cousins are watching from the sidelines?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 2prnot2p said:

But, in about 4.5 billion years, all of the hydrogen at the sun's core will be depleted and the fusion of it into helium will cease.  Then, we're in trouble...IF we're alive then.  LOL!

4.5 billion years is a LOT of evolution time. Our descendents might be around somewhere but they are likely to have evolved into something very different by then.

• Agree 1
23 minutes ago, F.W said:

I dont think even they would have used the A bomb on Germany anyway,as their level of resistance was nowhere near the fanaticism of Japan.

But the A bomb project was originally devised with Germany in mind as the target. It is only the fact of Germany's defeat before it was ready that saved Germany. Had the A bomb been ready 15 months earlier, am pretty sure Berlin would be synonymous with nuclear devastation today rather than Hiroshima.

26 minutes ago, F.W said:

The Germans and the Japanese both had stockpiles of chemical weapons which they never used

Actually yeah, that's very true. Germany certainly had loads of the stuff.

• Agree 1

So essentially, you believe that, although many of us could die, higher powers would never let us become extinct or all life here to end?

Also 😘

But to avoid cheating, I focused on the technical and fascinating part of the debate, and my positivity comes from this very reflection of our friend here:

1 hour ago, 2prnot2p said:

I don't believe we'll be extinct in 1,000 years unless an asteroid hits the earth or some other catastrophic event occurs.  Humans are very adaptive and, despite all the warnings about our climate, etc., I think we'll find a way to survive longer than 1,000 years

I put a lot of faith in your beliefs because I think you have access to higher knowledge.

Risked my life to sneak into groups that know secrets

Truth is both better and worse than we think: better because chances are limitless and the Power That Be are on our side

Worse because some humans are convinced they are not playing nasty condemning billions to famine and plague in order to become richer and these person will ACTUALLY keep Knowledge away from us

So unless we rise in huge numbers, we actually risk to lose and set sail to a world like Brave New World of Huxley, a dystopian fake-utopia where all are idiotely happy through drugs while they work 14 hours per day 365 days per year and a bunch of riches dominate all of this

Doesn't mean I won't think for myself or even disagree with you or think you wrong occasionally. I would never totally surrender my own independence of thought to anyone, not even you.

My reaction to this sentence? Here it is:

But I think you respect me for that.

Nevertheless I put a lot of faith in the things you claim to know because you are both sincere and knowledgeable about spiritual aspects, and the fact that independently I have often reached similar conclusions itself lends massive trust to your great knowledge.

So the fact that you do not believe we will be allowed to totally destroy ourselves or our planet is very reassuring. I now think our chances of survival are much better than 50-50 because we have higher forces on our side.

Obviously they would prefer to avoid a war… they are NOT that much more evolved than us, and our nukes can kick their butts

But they won't let us or the Earth die

• Like 2
  • Love 1

If Germany and the U.S had developed atomic weapons at the same time it would of been just like the cold war, mutually assured destruction. No one would of used them. If Hitler had LISTENED to his generals and admirals I do belive th war would of ended much differently. Donetz wanted more uboats, Hitler rushed to start the war. With more uboats they would if blockaded Britain into submission. He chose to run thr war like a corporal he was in the first world war instead of listening to his generals. A thankful mistake for us

As F.W said, Japan was way more fanatical. Unit 731 practically invented biological and chemical warfare. They did horrendous things to the Chinese people and pow's. Had Japan developed the a bomb they wouldn't hesitate to use it. Jusy think how many American and allied lives were saved by bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki. It's terrible but the Japanese fought to the last man, last bullet, last blade. The germans by late 44 wanted to surrender and end the war. The SS was fanatical but also had an escape plan in place. The generals that is

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
17 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Yes they sure do. I would say some people lust after such power 

It gives them the illusion that they are invulnerable and able to fix problems by just killing people

You don't fix the world by killing, in some cases you must remove some people but the problem is common psychology, unless you change it for the better then nothing will change

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, spywareonya said:

It gives them the illusion that they are invulnerable and able to fix problems by just killing people

You don't fix the world by killing, in some cases you must remove some people but the problem is common psychology, unless you change it for the better then nothing will change

Totally agree with you. Look at Hitler, she thought that by killing millions of people he would fix the problem. He was also a good public speaker and was able to motivate others into thinking his way.

Who knows how many chancellors woildnof done the same  if Hitler had been assassinated  during the war 

• Agree 1
  • 3 months later...

I don’t believe extinct as such.... but in the last 200 years we’ve accomplished a hell of a lot - a lot for the better (medicines and surgical achievements etc) and a lot of it drastically for the worst (ways of killing ourselves and the planet for one). 

So I think in 1000 years ‘we’ will still exist - for every megalomaniac trying to wipe us out and every toxic chemical we unwittingly release, there are a cluster of scientists trying to overcome. I think they will win through - although the film Wall-E may be somewhat true to life - or for that matter we could be a race of cyber men (and ladies). A human soul in whatever vessel is able to host us in the environment we find ourselves.

i do fear that biological functions like producing bodily waste may have been long dispensed with by then - will history records report on how we primitives used to get off? Back in the days when there were females and males, different in form and both were needed to procreate. 

• Agree 1
  • Love 1

I have no idea if we'll still be around in 1000 years, i suspect there may well be a situation that threatens mankind, be it many wars, multiple disease outbreaks or an asteroid strike. Climate change won't be the cause of the end of mankind, mankind will cause its own downfall through violence and greed and selfishness.

Civil war and unrest will become the norm, and society as we know it today will break down.

Call me a pessimist if you want, it's just how i see the nature of mankind. There is good to be found in mankind, but our greed to be dominant, extremely wealthy and be in control of others will cause intense pain, much loss of life, civil wars and rioting in the future, and man tends to react badly to such behaviour, usually by killing those who oppose the ruling parties. You only have to look at the breakdown of countries like Venezuela to see this behaviour. And the quelling of rioting in Spain. These are just 2 examples, but authorities will not allow themselves to be challenged.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Cuckoo42 said:

Climate change won't be the cause of the end of mankind, mankind will cause its own downfall through violence and greed and selfishness.

I agree with you 100%. The selfishness of mankind knows no bounds

• Like 1
  • Love 1