CHAMPIONS LEAGUE 2019

Here I am!!! Nancy!!!

After all these days of commenting matches live, I am building this thread for you all to chat about one which is among the greatest competition of Sport History

The Championship Cup is the Top League of all Europe, played by the teams that won their respective nation's regular tournament

I have waited 'till the crispy part of it to avoid bothering you, but now names are made!!!

For the UK

Manchester City

Manchester United

Tottenham

Liverpool

For France

Ajax

For Italy

Juventus

For Spain

Barcelona

For Portugal

Porto

These 8 teams will know Tomorrow who will they face in the next matches!!!

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, will64 said:

wow the the UK teams are doing very well 😀

I'm impressed at that

In previous competition things had been more balanced, but now it seems that they got the upper hand

Nothing bad to say about as for the actual situation of the teams I definitely support any of them, but indeed it's mighty

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

There is no canadian team so I don't know who to support hahaha. A team from the UK would make sense as both canada and UK are commonwealth nations haha

I see thing exactly that way

I keep my nationality undercover, let's just say none of the teams are my actual national-favoured team so even if I was from France I wouldn't support Ajax or if I'm from Portugal I wouldn't support Porto, or if italian my team won't be Juventus and so on (plus I don't exceedingly love Barcellona, I don't love teams who ALWAYS win ahahah)

So by now I support UK Team, as everybody know I'm not english...

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

I see thing exactly that way

I keep my nationality undercover, let's just say none of the teams are my actual national-favoured team so even if I was from France I wouldn't support Ajax or if I'm from Portugal I wouldn't support Porto, or if italian my team won't be Juventus and so on (plus I don't exceedingly love Barcellona, I don't love teams who ALWAYS win ahahah)

So by now I support UK Team, as everybody know I'm not english...

How should I pick my UK team? Close my eyes and point my finger at one hahaha?

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

How should I pick my UK team? Close my eyes and point my finger at one hahaha?

I'll wait for Tomorrow for the draft lottery

After knowing the matches, I'll simply support the team I like more, I mean the UK one if there will be a UK - NoUK match

If there will be a UK - UK match, I'll simply watch it with interest and wait ahahahahah

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And I'll go on like that match after match, Always cheering for my favourite

My actual favourite had already been eliminated (Bayern Monaco, surpassed by Liverpool) thus playfully speaking, I should exclude Liverpool from the team list I love ahahahahah and add to it the eventual team that will defeat it at some point ahahahah

I also will add to my favourite list the teams that will defeat Juventus and Barcelona, for I dislike the former and don't love the latter (though I respect Barcelona's ability)

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

I'll wait for Tomorrow for the draft lottery

After knowing the matches, I'll simply support the team I like more, I mean the UK one if there will be a UK - NoUK match

If there will be a UK - UK match, I'll simply watch it with interest and wait ahahahahah

I may just throw my support behind Manchester United  haha

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

I may just throw my support behind Manchester United  haha

I have some strong sympathies for them myself

Sincerily, I would love to know the tastes of some of my UK friends… ihihihi

But MU is cool

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

I have some strong sympathies for them myself

Sincerily, I would love to know the tastes of some of my UK friends… ihihihi

But MU is cool

In all fairness I haven't watched to many soccer(football) matches before.

Thanks to you and every other fan here iam gonna start watching more often 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

In all fairness I haven't watched to many soccer(football) matches before.

Thanks to you and every other fan here iam gonna start watching more often 

I don't appreciate the money involved in it

Players are paid too much, and the business around it for advertisement and merchandise is O-B-S-C-E-N-E

But I love its sociological power, the fact it brings people together over a non-violent competition… and the game in itself is TOO FASCINATING. I mean, how can people miss to get addicted? Sudden actions, suspense, physical ability and prowess… wow!!!

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

I don't appreciate the money involved in it

Players are paid too much, and the business around it for advertisement and merchandise is O-B-S-C-E-N-E

But I love its sociological power, the fact it brings people together over a non-violent competition… and the game in itself is TOO FASCINATING. I mean, how can people miss to get addicted? Sudden actions, suspense, physical ability and prowess… wow!!!

Iam not sure how much they are paid but in north America baseball and basketball players are paid huge. I don't like how players are paid these huge amounts for playing a game they so call "love"

• Agree 1

I absolutely do not care for any sports anymore (was interested in racing, but today I prefer to race myself, if at all... on the computer).

Football is just to "panem et circenses" to me.

And there is a certain lack of panem, in most places nowadays, so another reason for me not to care. 😉

If I had to pick, then it would be merely out of sympathy for a certain country, or political reasons. And then I would choose Portugal, and that mostly becasue they did not follow the orders given by germany, in how to deal with the ongoing Euro-crisis - as a result Portugal is far better off now then Spain or Greece, all countries who's political loosers... err, I mean leaders, licked germany's boots. David vs. Goliath relodad - you guys and girls rock!

I still will not watch any football-match, though.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, WantonLee said:

I absolutely do not care for any sports anymore (was interested in racing, but today I prefer to race myself, if at all... on the computer).

Football is just to "panem et circenses" to me.

Mmmh… you aren't wrong. But in my Path I learnt that there is no such a thing in existence which is not tainted: but some of them offer more good than bad, thus I classify them as good

Football is good

Plus, I can't prevent myself from admitting I actually love the game itself

And there is a certain lack of panem, in most places nowadays, so another reason for me not to care. 😉

True, true

If I had to pick, then it would be merely out of sympathy for a certain country, or political reasons. And then I would choose Portugal, and that mostly becasue they did not follow the orders given by germany, in how to deal with the ongoing Euro-crisis - as a result Portugal is far better off now then Spain or Greece, all countries who's political loosers... err, I mean leaders, licked germany's boots. David vs. Goliath relodad - you guys and girls rock!

Portugal is cool, as Always I am careful about european nations because more or less everybody know I live in Europe, thus I am careful because I don't want to reveal too much, but yes, living in Portugal is cool, and I do choose teams to support in similar ways as you, from the heart, rather than from complicated reasoning

I still will not watch any football-match, though.

Well, max of respect for your heartfelt choices, I just hope you'll feel at home here anyway in case you remain!!!

• Agree 1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

Mmmh… you aren't wrong. But in my Path I learnt that there is no such a thing in existence which is not tainted: but some of them offer more good than bad, thus I classify them as good

Football is good

Plus, I can't prevent myself from admitting I actually love the game itself

(...)

I'd say: Football is not good, it's just football.

Or quote Terry Pratchett from the book "Unseen Academicals" : "Football is like war, but without the kindness." It's just another way of deviding and ruling, which explains why politicians back up this sport os much. To give you an example, from germany: The city of Brunswick and the city of Hannover are constantly at war about football. The football-club in Hannover is called "Hannover 96". So, at one point the fans of Bruinswick found out that a certain hill close to their city was exactly 96 meters tall. Soooo, they organized an excavator and shaved of one meter from that hill. Plus if you visit Bruinswick with your car and a numberplate from Hannnover AND have a sticker or anything on your car that shows you are a fan of Hannover 96, preper to drive home on four flat tires. I am not kidding. It might happen vice versa as well, but not as often, from what I have read.

So this is my take on football, and any other competetive sport. They are there to divide people in tiny, controllable groups. And since they are busy fighting each other, they are less of a threat to the people in charge.

Oh, btw: the damage and trash caused by the football-hooligans as well as the costs for the police who has to oversee each major football-match here in germany is not covered by the football-clubs, but rather by the tax-payers. I consider this to be unfair, since the football-clubs make millions, at the expense of the tax-payers. They should pay for the costs caused by their fans.

To get back to where I started my reply: Terry Pratchett also wrote in the book "Unseen Academicals": “The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.” And I think it is not ment as an insult. Actually, the book is a declaration of love towards football (and fashion, and a number of other things), and I like it very much. So much that I recommend it (but that is true for most of the Discworld-Novels, so this probably doesn't count...).

Still don't like football, though. 😛

I'm sorry if I derailed this thread, but since I have said anything I wanted to say, just continue having fun! 😉

• Love 1

@WantonLee

Without noticing, you just did nothing than sticking to what I wrote in the beginning (this is a tender adfirmation, not an hostile one, it's important!)

1 hour ago, spywareonya said:

You only highlighted the negative portions of it, as I noticed you more or less do with anything, which also explains why you are so depressed in you life

I want to highlight that this last adfirmation is not an accusation because of deep reason: though I am a woman, I can be quite harsh in categorizing women, and I came to realize that many people's happiness is the happiness of the stupid, to the point I comply to the machist (quite strange since I'm a feminist) stance that "some girls are just sexual playthings"

What makes a MAN or a WOMAN out of a creature born homo sapiens sapiens? THE GUTS TO LOOK LIFE'S WORST

I think very few people had that gust

YOU DO

You have no fear to expose yourself to the harshest implications of the stern analysis you do of life and all it houses

AND THERE ARE NO WORDS TO EXPRESS MY ADMIRATION TO YOUR STRENGHT

If you wanna know, my first analysis of life is Always in the style of the one you just wrote

BUT

Then I remember that almost every cloud as a silver lining, and life is made of clouds, some got a silver lining some don't, you must just learn to see the glass of water as being half full instead of half empty

ALL you said (both here AND everywhere else in the forum) IS REAL, and those who wanna stick to a less stern interpretation of life ARE JUST PUSSIES and their happiness is false (and they feel empty and don't know why, because inside their unconscious, the enemy gnaws and gnaws and gnaws)

BUT

AFTER all you said… STILL there is the fact that we must stick to what's still good in life, and in my experience in the abysses of real life horror, ALL that is even just a bit cute can be enlisted and become not a ring anymore, but part of a chain, and more chains become a steel net and if you ever saw one, nothing can break a steel net made of intertwined rings at 360"

I see ALL you say

and AGREE

and then I know that unless we can see the glass of water half full instead that of half empty, we risk the "last risk", the one that hits only heroes like you (lesser people cannot even understand such problem, for them life is all rainbows they just need a bit more shopping), which is to see things only for the way they are, and miss to see them for the way they CAN AND SHOULD BE. And in order to build that world, we must first try to love the best portion of this, and after ten years exploring life, I came to the conclusion that all that is at least a bit cool, a bit cute, CAN work for building better worlds, regardless it CLEARLY got TONS OF ISSUES

Add this to your examination of things

Don't be less harsh, just add perspective, hope, and a bit of trust

To all you analize. Yourself included. My deepest kisses and respect

Nancy

• Love 2

Unusually great representation for England - I'm looking forward to the draw. With Real Madrid out it really does feel wide open - I'd say Man City and Barca are clear favourites but you wouldn't rule anybody out. 

• Agree 1
53 minutes ago, Admin said:

Unusually great representation for England - I'm looking forward to the draw. With Real Madrid out it really does feel wide open - I'd say Man City and Barca are clear favourites but you wouldn't rule anybody out. 

CR7 proved to be a one-man-army

But yes I too am after Barca and Manchester City, I just hope not to see a derby between City and United, I am afraid fists would fly ahahha

• Love 1

Just to clarify, I'm not supporting Barca and Man city, I meant 'favourite' as in most likely to win it.

Personally I'd much rather one of the underdogs win it rather than the biggest and richest clubs.  

Either way should be a very interesting next round. 

@spywareonyawho would you most like to win it now?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Admin said:

Just to clarify, I'm not supporting Barca and Man city, I meant 'favourite' as in most likely to win it.

Personally I'd much rather one of the underdogs win it rather than the biggest and richest clubs.  

Either way should be a very interesting next round. 

@spywareonyawho would you most like to win it now?

Yes yes, when I said "I'm after" I meant the same as you, I mean I'm waiting to see what they do as they are the most likely to win

For the preferencies, I'm confused about it

I love UK teams because they play a very "manly" kind of football, they don't throw themselves to the ground claiming penalties, and they prefer to win rather than to "not-lose" so they give all they got

But I have not a favourite one, I let my heart guide me in these kind of situation and that's where my feminine side comes out, likely I'll ask my dearest friends which team they support and I'll go with the (golden) flow ihihihihihi maybe Manchester City, but I would like to ask @steve25805 as I know he is a real fan!!! 

Surely I don't feel any exceeding drive toward Ajax, and my playful grudges against big teams doesn't eliminate my respect for Barca, yet I wouldn't support it. I just wanna see Juventus eliminated because as I previously said, greed can ruin anything and I did not forgot the scandal that hit Italy some years ago, it's Amazing they still let that team play, plus they are winning everything so they fall in the same category of Barca, and as you said, underdog teams have a unique charisma

Porto… I dig WantonLee statements about Portugal being a cocky nation, but I have too little drive toward Porto (the team… if you ask me about the liquor, then it's a different story)

I also think I should playfully hate Liverpool for eliminating Bayern, my favourite, so...

I'll wait for the draft

For now I think City...

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

But I have not a favourite one, I let my heart guide me in these kind of situation and that's where my feminine side comes out, likely I'll ask my dearest friends which team they support and I'll go with the (golden) flow ihihihihihi maybe Manchester City, but I would like to ask @steve25805 as I know he is a real fan!!! 

Sorry to disappoint Nancy but I don't really follow football all that much. There really is no team I support. 

In things like World Cup tournaments I might well support the England national team but league teams I feel no affinity for.

I honestly don't know enough about who is in it to utter an intelligent opinion.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

Sorry to disappoint Nancy but I don't really follow football all that much. There really is no team I support. 

In things like World Cup tournaments I might well support the England national team but league teams I feel no affinity for.

I honestly don't know enough about who is in it to utter an intelligent opinion.

Ouh… sorry if I summoned you into… I seemed to remember some playful chats between you and me, I must have put things together in my memory!!!

OK… sorry my dear Steve!!!

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

OK… sorry my dear Steve!!!

No need to apologise. Football is one of the most popular sports on the planet. There will be lots of members with good opinions.

I just don't know enough to join in.

What I do know is of the English teams you listed, Liverpool used to be top dogs here back in the 80s, the side everyone wanted to beat. Since then, under the stewardship of Alex Fergusson, Man United kind of stole their crown, but they are in decline now.

In so much as I care I am nationalist enough to want to see an English team win. And I would kind of like to see Liverpool do it for old time's sake. Though Tottenham would make a good underdog punt.

If an English side doesn't win I think I'd root for Juventus. All those football loving Italian ladies out there need to be cheering. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1