Winter in Yakutsk, Siberia

2prnot2p

The city of Yakutsk is the coldest city on earth, with winter temps commonly hitting -60C or colder.  Yet, 250,000 people live there and seem to cope quite well.  Here are some pics of Yakutsk.  I'd like to go there, but only for a day.  They wear caribou boots and I have none of those.  And fur coats, so I'm not sure my clothing would cut it.  LOL!

1200x-1.jpg

ep2a.jpeg

p1030505.jpg

Yakutsk_frosty_hou_2805865k.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The only good thing that makes it tolerable is that there is virtually no wind.  So, no wind chill effect.  I don't think people could live there if it was windy often.  A still, calm cold is much easier to take than cold with a 15 or 20 MPH wind like we get here in the Midwest of the USA.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, steve25805 said:

What are their summers like?

It can get quite warm, but summer is short and the ground never thaws completely.  I also read that there are many mosquitoes in the summer too.  I think temps are in the 70's to about 80F at the most.  So, not cool, but not super hot.

• Thanks 1

@Ozabot  Thank you so much!  That place looks so cool!  I love it! 

Many people in the west don't know that many, or most, people in Siberia look Japanese, Korean, or Chinese.  LOL!  I've known this for a very long time, but many don't. 

I absolutely love learning about different cultures and how they live.  What a boring world it would be if we were all the same.  Right?

Thanks again!

One may ask, "Why do people even try to live there?"  I agree, it's a good question.  From what I recall, Yakutsk is rich in many resources, including fossil fuels, diamonds, gold, and uranium.  When I saw a documentary on Yakutsk and heard that, I literally said out loud, "Ah-ha!"  LOL! 

So, I'm guessing that the majority of the jobs are in those industries.  Plus, they need all the normal businesses to accommodate the population.  Shops, restaurants, you name it.  Right?  I find the place so fascinating.

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a video by a girl who lives in the city of Yakutsk in Siberia.  Yes, many of the native folks of Siberia look Asian, e.g., Chinese.  She explains what she wears to keep warm.  Her boots are made of the fur and hide of caribou (reindeer) and are the absolute warmest boots in the world, or so I'm told.  I hope you enjoy this video! 🙂

• Like 1