Tips for Sketching

Bacardi

Hi everyone. As some of you know I enjoy writing, and as if recently I've decided I want to draw out some of the characters from my writing. I bought a sketch book and a pack of mechanical pencils and I've been sketching here and there, but it's all very basic stuff. So far I've practiced 3D shading and faces, nothing much else. I find right now that it's easier for me to replicate cartoon-y things rather than realism right now, but I've noticed that since I've started sharpening my skills I'm noticing more and more 'realistic' things like landscapes and clothing are really just lines that I'm sure I'll be able to replicate at some point in the future. 

What I'd really like to do is do digital art. I've been looking at drawing tablets for quite sometime now, and considering the fact that it's the holidays I won't be able to afford one any time soon. I was thinking about asking for one for my birthday next year but that's still some time away, and drawing on my phone isn't really enjoyable for me because it's so small. I've found it's a lot of fun for me to sketch in my notebook and take a photo to digitally enhance on my phone, so that's my basic set up for now. 

My question is, does anyone have any videos/references for me to check out for drawing? I've found some really great videos on youtube and I've been following those, but I'm open to other suggestions! 

For me I've found that practice has been the best way to try and improve my skills. On YouTube a YouTube channels I recommend is Draw with Jazza just to see the process that he goes through to create art. A lot of his videos have more entertainment value than lessons but they are still a help. Looking up reference images on google is also a good help when drawing.

In terms of drawing tablets I personally use a huion 680tf and I do very much enjoy it. I'm not very good at digital art but I'm slowly trying to get better. 

I hope I helped!

I would say that YouTube is your best source because you need to see it done in real time, so what better than a video? I have also watched some art tutorial videos to help with things like shading techniques, drawing in perspective and also realistic hair and clothing wrinkles. 

What I can say is don't limit yourself to one channel. Different artists have different nuances that another artist may not prefer or think of, but would be great for you. Little things like where to begin the sketch, proportion methods, everyone is slightly different and it's better to see multiple ways of doing it to find the method that fits you. Not all artists are good teachers because they're so good, they skip important tips that beginners simply don't know. Don't overload yourself with trying to get better in all areas at once though. I recommend to pick one thing you want to improve, and watch 3 or 4 videos from different people to really let it sink in and practice on that one thing. Then move on to a different weakness. 

Another tip I've used to is to simply replicate pictures. Want to draw a lion? Pull up a picture of one and just recreate it. Once it's in your muscle memory, you can draw lions. Same for other things. 

Also, invest in an actual art kit that has the pencils you need. You can find basic kits for under 10 dollars easily. The different weight of each pencil really improves whatever you're doing. Mechanical pencils for writing are no good. I mean you can draw with them but you they are a serious handicap. I didn't think it mattered until I bought one. The improvement was immediately noticeable.

• Like 1

Thank you guys lol. I had to get a mechanical pencil cause im broke as hell right now and dont have quite as much time as I would like to dedicate to drawing. I think after the holidays have passed I may delve a little deeper, 

@Riley I was looking into a Wacom tablet, but i'll check that one out!

59 minutes ago, Riley said:

@Bacardi wacom tablets are very nice. Mine was just very cheap😂😂😂 huion tablets are very nice but the real reason I went for mine is it was $30

I was wondering what would be better to do, buy myself a cheap drawing tablet like that or hold out till my birthday for a $200 one. Do you like yours, does it get the job done or do you find it to be uncalibrated because it's cheap?

9 minutes ago, Bacardi said:

I was wondering what would be better to do, buy myself a cheap drawing tablet like that or hold out till my birthday for a $200 one. Do you like yours, does it get the job done or do you find it to be uncalibrated because it's cheap?

I do think mine gets the job done but I would get something higher quality. The pen with mine is solid plastic and doesn't feel amazing and the physical construction is heavy and not the best. For $30 it's amazing but there's is plenty better. 

For a graphic tablet that doesn't have a display built in the more you pay you get fesutures like, extra pen pressure levels, better build quality, wireless, battery free pens, etc. 

Once you move into the tablets that have a display built in that opens up a whole new area. Because then instead of drawing while watching a display the display is what your drawing on. I haven't found anything for less than $300 in that category though except if you go to the used market.

Here is a drawing tablet review around the $90 range