Drug testing examination

In the begining of Octobre, all employes received a notification saying that, with the new laws, which the goverment legalized cannabis in Canada, everyone must take a drug test. So I stopped consuming for over 3 weeks and I have been drinking 2 litres of water ever day, not that i wasn't drinking it in the first place, and my sister in law, who was recently hired last August, and smokes weed, was concerned and I gave her this advice so that she can flush out any traces of drugs. We both had a talk yesterday and she told me since 3 weeks, she hasn't seen her pee as clear and is constantly running to the washrooms. So we are crossing our fingers and please send us some good vibes. My appointment is this friday and it is making me nervous.

Did anyone had to get drug tested for any jobs?

• Like 2

As the law currently stands, companies still have the right if they suspect. There was an employe that was fired last June for coming to work stoned and it caused an incident with another employee which he is still on the csst. So, is it to scare employees.. not sure. I lnow the police officers have a 0 tolerence if caught.

I would think that its important if your job involves using machinery,driving or dealing with people etc.If its become decriminalised,i would think that it would be one of those disclosure things,where if you dont disclose your drug use,it could be a dismissal thing.

Im not sure how long it stays in your system despite how much you urinate,but if youve given it up a while and drink lots you should be ok.

2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Drug testing in canada is standard practice. Random drug tests are common, especially in the oilfields. I hauled crude oil and random pee tests were common 

A friend of ours is a welder and their boss said, if you are caught, you are fired on the spot.

44 minutes ago, fannywatcher said:

I would think that its important if your job involves using machinery,driving or dealing with people etc.If its become decriminalised,i would think that it would be one of those disclosure things,where if you dont disclose your drug use,it could be a dismissal thing.

Im not sure how long it stays in your system despite how much you urinate,but if youve given it up a while and drink lots you should be ok.

I hope so, I just don't know why it's affecting me, i work in the office all week.

9 hours ago, Sephora said:

A friend of ours is a welder and their boss said, if you are caught, you are fired on the spot.

I hope so, I just don't know why it's affecting me, i work in the office all week.

In my opinion it doesn't matter if you operate heavy equipment or work in the office, if you are impaired at work be it from booze or weed or whatever you should be fired. 

If your not impaired at work your good to go. Iam not saying you can't enjoy yourself after work but leave it after hours, don't use or over your dinner hour or break.

Iam not judging people who use pot, but just because it's legal in our country now doesn't mean you should use in on company time. Use it after hours

• Like 1

I am a responsible head of my department. However I do consume weed after super and I do find they are extreme with this. I am allowed to my private life outside of work.

So I peed in a cup this morning, crossing my fingers that nothing will be said. A colleague at work said she ate a lot of asparagus the night before lolololol  She doesn't do drugs or drink but was annoyed that she still had to do it.

Guest UnabashedUser
3 hours ago, Sephora said:

I am a responsible head of my department. However I do consume weed after super and I do find they are extreme with this. I am allowed to my private life outside of work.

So I peed in a cup this morning, crossing my fingers that nothing will be said. A colleague at work said she ate a lot of asparagus the night before lolololol  She doesn't do drugs or drink but was annoyed that she still had to do it.

few grains of salt added to the pee will monkey wrench the test "inconclusive"

I think that it sounds like the company are trying to send out the message that even though Cannabis has been legalised, they don't want their staff to be affected in their work.   A lot of companies in the UK take a strict rule about consumption of alcohol either before or during working hours - if you get drunk one night and it still affects you the next day then they would take disciplinary action.  I know at least one company that won't let you drink at lunch time - even one drink and you are not allowed to come back in the afternoon.  Thankfully my company is more lenient that that and a couple of drinks at lunch is fine as long as it doesn't affect the work.

I don't know a lot about Cannabis, but I'm guessing that it stays in your system longer, so could maybe have an effect on work for longer.   They may just be looking for excessive levels though.  I would hope that the company would have published a policy on what is acceptable before they test against it though, otherwise there is no benchmark against which they could discipline you.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sephora said:

I agree with you, it sounds extreme to me as well. If you indulge in weed or booze after work in my books that's totally fine. It's the people who use it on company time that should be punished.

Hell I've been out drinking all night and went to work the next day, Iam lucky that I don't get hangovers lol. I would never get drunk at work tho, just as I know you don't let weed affect your work life. A few bad apples spoil the whole bushel

• Like 1

I agree with you!

Well, I should or should be getting the results in 3-4 days. It is nerve wracking however, I say to myself, I can't control what might happen and I will learn what needs to be learned.

@ Sephore: good luck to you!

On the topic: here in Germany drug tests on the job are not much of a thing, at least in regular jobs, like office-jobs. I am not sure about jobs where you have to operate heavy machinery, though, but I havent't heared of it.

Of cause, if you are truck driver, for instance, there is a chance that the police will pull you out of traffic (like on the autobahn, where they then will direct you to the next rest stop), and check both you and your truck, and your papers (regarding your truck, they will check the load, the truck it self, like the breack, tires, etc.... reason for this being tha a lot of the old truck from West Europe are sold to East Europe, and then return to West Europe through Germany, hauling cargo. And they are usually in bad shape, and accidents involving trucks happen often here.... an I mean fatal accidents... not all of them involving alcohol like -> this one from 2013 though... .)

I know they will check for alcohol, if they suspect anything, but they do not check for other drugs, unless they see signs of drug use.

The number one drug in Germany is alcohol, after all, and since it is not very hard to get and also very easy to detect (by the smell), it is a valid concern.

That being said, I know of at least one coworker of mine who smokes weed, and the company kind of knows it, but tolerates it, since the jobs we do in our department are rather forgiving (we do not operate any heavy machines, for example), and weed is not that much of a problem as alcohol would be. As far as I can tell, it has - if at all - a calming effect on a person, much the opposite of what alcohol does.

Anyway, should they find any hints for drugs in your test sample, Sephora, and are in doubt about you continuing being the head of your department....  I wonder if you could calmly ask them if they ever had any issues with you and your work. I mean, if you had done a good job, a good reputation and are considered to be reliable and honest... wouldn't they want to keep you? I mean, I would.... but then again I am far from being in charge of anyone but myself.

18 hours ago, Sephora said:

I agree with you!

Well, I should or should be getting the results in 3-4 days. It is nerve wracking however, I say to myself, I can't control what might happen and I will learn what needs to be learned.

I'm hoping for the best for you. All will be good.

• Like 1

Never done weed, but I am subject to "random" piss tests. The only random one I've had recently was in 2012. I had one when I switched jobs in 2016.

I hated them when I was in the Navy in the 90's. They had to watch you very closely, and I got stage fright, even if I really had to whiz. Once I got out, the piss tests involved going into a private room. During the test I had in 2016, a fairly cute girl administered it to me. I sort of wished I had the courage to ask her to go into the private bathroom with me, and ask if she might need a piss break. But I didn't.

It really depends on how much you smoked nd the length of time you've been smoking (without quitting or taking a break from it) I've done dabs for a while nd it took me 2 months nd some odd amount of days to get clean for an job interview. But if it's just dank weed 3 weeks and start taking niacinpills if you can 5hwy flush out your system ( takemore than the recommended dose 2 time s a day nd in a day or so you should be fine