Any musicians?

Riley

I was curious if there were any musicians on here and if so what do you play? For me my first instrument was the violin that I started playing 11 years ago. I also play the piano, guitar, and ukelele. Music is a large part of my life😂😂

• Love 3

In my school days I was in the band.
Once I was married and living in our present location, I had to learn how to sing upon joining our church choir as the only musical outlet that I had.
We did form a recorder group while I was in the choir.
There was one song that we played as a recorder group and sang as a choir.  It was interesting as to who sang and played the same part and who did different parts.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a musician, or was.  I'm a drummer.  I started lessons when I was 5, played in concert band and marching band through school, and had a weekend band for 13 years.  My wife and I ran it, she's a singer, but we're divorced now.  I also played in bar bands briefly in the late 1970's.  Our weekend group was from 1982-1995.  We did country clubs, weddings, and corporate parties.  I haven't played professionally since then.  I only have a small electronic kit now that I can diddle with.  Sadly, I just don't get the desire anymore.

As for my taste in music, I love the Beatles, Procol Harum, Peter Gabriel, old Genesis, and many others.  I also like jazz.  The Dave Brubeck Quartet is my favorite jazz group of all time.  And I do listen to some classical music on occasion. 

My favorite Beatles albums are Rubber Soul and Revolver.  To me, it's a tie.  They're both wonderful! 

• Like 1

I have an electronic drum machine that I've made some music on, but I need to invest in a proper pc and DAW software to actually create polished finished music, which would be a blend of electronic, jazz, lounge and downtempo. I played the recorder eons ago when I was a kid, but I definitely want to learn piano, as that is my favorite and saxophone is a close second that I like to learn. Being able to play jazz improv on piano is all I would need in life from that point on!

Another instrument I love is jazz trumpet, love the sound of a trumpet with a mute for that "wah wah" sound they make.

• Like 2

Bass Guitar, Rhythm Guitar and drums. Basic 12 bar blues, easy, simple, nothing flash or fancy.

Latest purchase was FLStudio 12, kind of got hooked on Trance and this program makes it ridiculously easy to make reasonable sounding tracks on the PC. Have a couple of midi controllers to help with this, again nothing fancy, basic keyboard and a Launchpad. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I play piano for my own entertainment and because my wife likes to listen.  I wouldn't say I'm great, but I enjoy playing and I'm trying to keep developing my skills.  The nearest I've got to a public performance is that a couple of times I've played a piano in the bar on a holiday or something, when there were a handful of people around.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:15 AM, Riley said:

I was curious if there were any musicians on here and if so what do you play? For me my first instrument was the violin that I started playing 11 years ago. I also play the piano, guitar, and ukelele. Music is a large part of my life😂😂

Alex was a singer before his band disbanded. They played at many concerts and even were up to record an album with a big company, but something happened and in the end the group crumbled down. Exceeding details about WHAT happened exactly could lead to identifying me and him so I will keep it private.

Music is the main passion of us both

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2018 at 10:20 AM, owlman76 said:

I used to play keyboard, I wasn't too bad, but always wanted to play the guitar, so I bought one, then had to re-string it, as I am left-handed, but that was just the beginning of the trouble. You see, I'm very driven and things have to go the way I want, First thing was to learn to play 'smoke on the water' by Deep Purple, ok I soon managed that one, then I went on to try and learn some really complicated piece, forget starting at the begining, I'm straight in at the deep end, I played for hours on end. If you've ever heard the song 'Summer of 69' there's a line in it, 'got my first real  string, bought it at the five and dime, played it til my fingers bled, it was the summer of 69' well that was me, fingers sore and bleeding, in the end I gave up, my fingers were so sore it started to cause problems at work. 

If I had it to do over again, I'd be a keyboardist.  You then have a small orchestra at your finger tips.  Especially nowadays, with the latest technology, you can really do a lot all by yourself.  Drums are cool, but I could never seem to get motivated to practice enough all alone.  Since there is no melodic aspect to the drums, I always preferred playing with the band as opposed to practicing alone on my chops.

I was a pretty good drummer, but not great.  Those are few and far between.  Phil Collins was one of my faves back in the 1970's.  Few fans know that his forte was actually drumming.  He has even admitted that drumming is what he did best.  He was a world class drummer, for sure.  But now, he cannot play.  He has had nerve damage and surgery.  It has left him with "drop foot."  It's sad.

My drumming style probably most resembles John Densmore of the Doors.  His style and skill level are very similar to mine. 

Edited by 2prnot2p
  • Like 1
  • Hot 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 5:38 AM, Alfresco said:

I play piano for my own entertainment and because my wife likes to listen.  I wouldn't say I'm great, but I enjoy playing and I'm trying to keep developing my skills.  The nearest I've got to a public performance is that a couple of times I've played a piano in the bar on a holiday or something, when there were a handful of people around.

It's worth saying again that piano and keyboards in general are my fave! 🙂

Edited by 2prnot2p
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:21 PM, Sophie said:

I've been playing piano for nearly 24 years.

I also play guitar but my heart is with the piano.

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Sophie  I would DIE to sit by your lap and listen to you as you play, and play, and play...

Edited by spywareonya
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Love 1

As a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting Genesis in 1977 at a record store.  They were there for an autograph signing session and to promote their Detroit concert.  I was able to speak with Phil Collins for about an hour.  He was so very nice!  It helped when I told him that I played the same brand of drums as he, Gretsch.  This got me a spot behind the signing table with the band.  LOL!  It was so funny.  People must have been wondering, "Who the hell is that guy talking to Collins?"  Such a wonderful memory! 🙂

• Love 1
12 hours ago, steve25805 said:

As well as playing with my organ, I sometimes like to blow my own trumpet.

I tried that once and...had a sore neck and back for a week!  I couldn't do it!  LMAO! 🤣  I did a lot of stupid shit when I was 15!  Ha ha!