Gunpowder club

spywareonya

2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

Recoil is to much.

I can dig that

But more recent guns, like the S&W 500 I posted previously, are deviced for diminishing it

Anyway, that is the reason I prefer rifles

Maybe is an emotional thing, I hug it and feel protected by its power like daddy is with me, but indeed I sincerily consider them exceedingly better for what concerns stability and aim adjusting (and crude stopping power either)

• Love 2

When I was in the service with the US Army I learned to fire the Garand M1, and fired it on a rifle range.
I had to learn to fire it left handed as my right eye was not good enough to be used.
I did make for a Sharp Shooter badge.

Later in my life I took Boy Scouts to their summer camp.  One of the things that they got to do was to fire on the .22 cal rifle range.  Several of my Boys were trying for the rifle team.
While my troop was on the rifle range the rifle range instructor allowed me to go to the left hand side of the firing line and fire a rifle.
Boy it was so easy compared to the M1.  The far site was a hole and I had to look though a hole with my eye.  It was so easy to center the bullseye in the center of the far hole and squeeze of the round.

Suddenly one of my boys trying for the rifle team asked. how the Scout Master was doing?  The rifle range instructor said well let me see. . . .  Hey he is doing  quite well.
He came over to me with 20 bullets and told me that with 20 more shots I could make the first level for a NRA badge.  That year I got top score for an adult for the week that I was there.

The next two years I went back to the range and I was able to get top score for and adult for the week.  I was also able to get to the next two badge levels.  So I have the marksman medal with two bars handing below the badge.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, speedy3471 said:

One of my favorite rifle calibers is the 7.62x54R. It was designed in Russia in 1891 and is still in use today. Recoil is very manageable in my svt40 and mosin nagant 91/30. When I shoot my m44 carbine produces some stout recoil lol

I am in love with CAL50

I have a psychological thing for effectiveness

• Agree 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, bpb said:

When I was in the service with the US Army I learned to fire the Garand M1, and fired it on a rifle range.
I had to learn to fire it left handed as my right eye was not good enough to be used.

I did not mention one of the interesting aspects of firing an M1 left  handed.
When the shell casing is ejected it make an arc up over and slightly back on the right hand side of the weapon.
When firing left handed my head was somewhere in that arc.
Of course being in the army I would be wearing a helmet liner.  I also had to make very sure that my collar was well tucked up under my helmet liner so that no errant spent shell could find its way inside my collar.  Oh! that would have hurt!

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

The 9mm parabellum and the 7.92x57mm rounds were used by both the allies and axis powers during the second world war. The 9mm was used in both German and British pistols and smgs. While the 7.92 was used in machine guns in British and German armies 

Machine guns are an item I particularly love

I am fascinated by big cartridges, but indeed the shower of rounds delivered by rapid-fire weapons is effective and paramount

• Like 2
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, spywareonya said:

Machine guns are an item I particularly love

I am fascinated by big cartridges, but indeed the shower of rounds delivered by rapid-fire weapons is effective and paramount

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the German mg42 was the king of rapid fire. And accurate as well. 3 to 5 round bursts from a mg is very effective against advancing infantry

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
4 minutes ago, speedy3471 said:

And naughty boys lol

Aahahahaha you can definitely say that!!!

I have to admit I never fingered with a CAL 50, but it could be an interesting experience… it also got the perfect shape!

• Love 1