Alerts missing

I have noticed that the alerts that used to be shown when logging on to the site no longer appear.  This was a very useful feature of the old software, as it gave a quick precis of any active topics that I was participating in.   Admin, do you plan to re-instate this or will it be permanently lost?

Also,  every time I come to the site,  it nags me about turning on "notifications".   These apparently are a means of displaying alerts in my browser when I am not visiting the site.   This is something I really, really, really do not want.  I want to get my alerts when I come to the forum,  not have them thrown at me randomly every time I browse ebay or look at a weather map.  I imagine that it would be an even bigger issue for people who have young children.  I presume you would not want your browser to be sending messages about explicit content to your kids when they use the computer.

Every time the nag dialog pops up,  I select "always block notifications",  but the next time I come to the site it nags me again.  Is there some way this decision could be stored in my profile so it can be entered only once please?

Edited by likesToLick

You can change your notification settings in your profile. Click on your username in the upper right hand corner of any page, select "Account settings", under "Other Settings" select "Notification Settings". There you can turn off the browser notifications and customize your notification settings. 

- A

4 hours ago, Admin said:

You can change your notification settings in your profile. Click on your username in the upper right hand corner of any page, select "Account settings", under "Other Settings" select "Notification Settings". There you can turn off the browser notifications and customize your notification settings. 

- A

Thank you for your help.   I have customized the settings today. 

Browser notifications were already disabled in my profile, so I will see what happens next time I log on.

Just FYI,  I have browser notifications disabled,  but still receive a prompt each time I log on asking me to enable them.  

I am using Firefox 45.4.0,  and have it set to clear all cookies each time I close the browser.   (I mention this in case a cookie is being used to store my response to the nag message.)

In-forum notifications (formerly known as alerts) are working fine now.

The notification prompt is only a minor irritation, so please feel free to treat it as a low priority while you work on the more important issues. 

Cheers, L2L