Trump....can of worms I know but he's gone too far

To keep the peace, I've not said anything much about Donald Trump for the last few weeks, if nothing else to let the whole argument die down.

I realise it's a contentious issue that on several occasions has caused a more than heated debate but I can't keep quiet on this one;

For him to respond the way he did to the speech made by a man (a Muslim man but what difference does that make?) who's son was killed in action whilst serving for the United States Army is simply dispicable. Not only did he not thank the soldier and his surviving family for the ultimate price that young man paid, he then took a lazily racist swipe at the speakers wife.

Now I know many on here support Trumo and fully intend to vote for him and of course that is your right. I have never suggested otherwise and have only sparked up conversations simply to hear the other side of the argument as it were. However, how far does he have to go before enough people who were borderline in support of him decide that's enough now, you've gone too far?

Indeed I ask any of you, has any of Trumps recent speeches or policies started to change your outlook?

I know that during the UK/EU campaigns, I learnt a few things I wasn't aware of previously and it did give me some cause to think on whether I had made the right decision.

Would really like to hear some opinions, but please understand this is not a thread started to invoke an argument, I'm genuinely interested that's all.

I reckon if Trump were running for P.M of the UK,hed get a landslide.The Americans dont know whats good for them.So what if Hilary Clinton would be the "first female President".Does it matter?

He just has an unfortunate surname..Mr Trump,sounds like a very rude Mr Man!

The space bar comment was only light hearted. I will say this now, as personality is difficult to portray when typing a post online but I'm from Lancashire, we are naturally a dry, sarcastic bunch when it comes to humour but I can assure anyone, if I ever post anything taking the mickey a little, it's all meant in good nature, nothing more.

If I really disagree with something somebody says, I would say so in very straight terms, not by having a cheap dig.

Think it's always being the problem with forums, people don't read things the way it sounds in your head as you are typing it.

Maybe we need a voice chat facility!

I've known several US presidential elections in the past but I don't honestly think I can recall one where the fighting has been quite so dirty. What depresses me is that it's likely to get worse before it gets better. Mr Trump's recent ill judged comments re the bereaved mother of a marine won't have done him any good at all. I'm hoping sincerely that he manages to make further dents in the public support that there appears to be for him. Put simply, I don't want him in the White House. I very much doubt whether many of our American members do either.

Thankfully, since I made the original post, Trump has seemingly shot himself in the foot a couple of times too many. The support he has lost of some major figures within his own party and the issue with the soldiers parents has done for him. His attempt at being an every man by eating KFC fell a little flat too!

I'm glad it's done with but frightening that it even got this far.

Trump the Gump is - in political terms - a loose cannon with apparently little control over his own mouth, which means he acts without thinking through consequences. And as such is a politically dangerous idiot. And many of his idiocies also expose him as a bigoted buffoon

Intelligent peoples tend not to offer majority support for such idiots.

The Americans are an intelligent people.

Therefore, Hillary Clinton has this one in the bag.

It really is pretty much over, bar three more months of hot air and obnoxiousness, likely to change nothing.

Trump the Gump is - in political terms - a loose cannon with apparently little control over his own mouth, which means he acts without thinking through consequences. And as such is a politically dangerous idiot. And many of his idiocies also expose him as a bigoted buffoon

Intelligent peoples tend not to offer majority support for such idiots.

The Americans are an intelligent people.

Therefore, Hillary Clinton has this one in the bag.

It really is pretty much over, bar three more months of hot air and obnoxiousness, likely to change nothing.

Steve I hope you're right and I wish I shared your optimism.

I see the Orange one is on the back track again with Ryan. There are some tough jobs out there in this big wide world, but being in charge of PR for his campaign has to be up there with the worst of them.

He hasn't yet seemed to grasp the concept that everything he says in public is recorded and then witnessed by hundreds of millions of people and that he can't then deny having said something a day or two later.

He was wrong to kind of insinuate that Hilary Clinton be assassinated,but if he was to stand in most European countries on an Anti-Islam ticket,i reckon he would landslide.People in the civilised world are sick of being told how virtuous Islam is,while at the same time seeing them killing people on our own streets nearly every week,and weak politicians importing more of them in,misguidedly feeling sorry for them.

He was wrong to kind of insinuate that Hilary Clinton be assassinated,but if he was to stand in most European countries on an Anti-Islam ticket,i reckon he would landslide.People in the civilised world are sick of being told how virtuous Islam is,while at the same time seeing them killing people on our own streets nearly every week,and weak politicians importing more of them in,misguidedly feeling sorry for them.

I think you'd find that no electorate in Britain would vote in anyone uttering the views of Trump.

Most recognise his obnoxious bigotry for what it is.

Of course there are massive public concerns about Islamic extremism. But most people can see the bigger picture and would not vote in a sexist, racist, homophobic bigot with a big mouth who goes around offending everyone to deal with it. The majority still want reasonably decent and intelligent political leaders, not bigoted and simplistic assholes almost certain to make things ten times worse.

I don't see the point in discussing Trump vs. Clinton.

Trump is making a lot of noise in order to make people forget what bad of a choice Clinton actually is.

(Lesser evil, yes, but still evil.)

From my perspective, Trump and Clinton are working hand in hand, to the benefit of Clinton.

Who knows whats in for Trump, we'll never know for sure.

But just look at his statements. Look at them!

He is a Billionaire , he is NOT dumb.

Yet he makes statements like a twelve year old.

This is just a show.

(I can't prove any of what I just wrote, it's more or less just a gut-feeling, so feel free to call me a loony conspiracy theorist.)

As far as I can tell, Sanders would have been the better choice, but since he is also the worst choice possible for the people who actually... "own" the States, he was... removed.

I'd bet real money that Clinton will win.... that is, if I had money to spare. -_-

• 1 month later...

Well.since this thread was last updated, Trump the Gump has been thoroughly exposed as a moral monster who sees nothing wrong with using his fame to sleaze on every female he takes a shine to, even groping them up. He is also a delusional egomaniac, and I am beginning to suspect, a possible sociopath.

And all the polling thankfully suggests he cannot win.

Clinton was never going to be the most potentially popular Democratic candidate, to say the least. But the Republicans seen to have lumbered themselves with such a monster that even she looks almost morally angelic in comparison, lol

And watching the presidential debates found me naturally repulsed by his behaviour. the way he almost audibly snorted in before making any significant sentence seemed to convey arrogance as well as being irritating. His apologies were wholly transparent in their lack of sincerity, and his character came across as being way too easily provoked. If this guy is a disaster for the Republicans now, they better pray he isn't elected because he truly will be a disaster for them then - and for the whole of America with it, and probably the world too.

And a growing wave of senior Republicans are coming out, saying that their consciences will not allow them to endorse or support this monster. Each one of those has more integrity in his little finger than Trump has in his entire body.  He might well boast about how many women he has bedded and that sort of thing, but he and integrity have never shared the same bed.

No one is defending Bill Clinton on that, though I for one can have some measure of respect for the wronged wife finding it within herself to forgive her husband, give him a second chance, and stand by her man. Whatever other wrongs she might conceivably have been party to,  I cannot fault her for that. But surely it ought to be obvious to any reasonable person that Trump is an absolute monster, and ever more Americans seem to be recognising that.

As most knowledgeable people predicted, his candidacy is proving disastrous for the Republicans. Almost any decent Republican could have beat Clinton. But instead they have Trump. And Clinton is going to be gifted the White House, just as I said from the start. Today I have been listening to reports in the media and reading a report in The I - a non-partisan newspaper.  And even I am astonished at the degree of the car crash unfolding.

Quite apart from admitting that he exploits his fame to grope and sleaze off women, an attitude that shows tremendous disrespect, but his wife has been tweeting obscene comments about sexual assault victims, whilst he is known to be on tape referring to black Americans with the "n" word, which numbers of others have confirmed him doing. Senior Republican figures are deserting him in droves. Even such right wing fanatics as Glen Beck are deserting him. The evangelical Christian base is deserting him. And he himself is openly attacking the Republican party.

Meanwhile, top security figures in the US are increasingly worried about any prospect of him gaining the Whitehouse, due to his admiration for the vicious demagogue Putin of Russia. It has been revealed that in a briefing about nuclear weaponry, he questioned why the US had not used these weapons more often.  Honestly, if I were an evangelical Christian, I'd be tempted to wonder if he were not the AntiChrist.

Meanwhile, the mainstream majority in America are being galvanised to support Clinton not because they think much of her - many would under more normal circumstances have voted Republican or not voted at all - but because they are waking up to the horror that is Trump and the desperate need to stop him - by voting for the only person that can. And the very soul of America is at stake on this one.

Fortunately, Americans seem to be coming good. You can always trust a free and intelligent and consciousful people to recognise evil in the end. The ballot box is the ultimate defence of all values worth holding dear. That's the beauty of democracy. And so it is proving now. Already his poll ratings are plummetting. One poll places him 11 points behind Clinton now.

Bill Clinton had an affair whilst in office. That is of course very bad behaviour, though the woman in question was at least consenting. But he does not appear to have condoned groping any female he feels like, nor shown open disrespect for them with his own words. His wife does not obscenely insult sexual assault victims. He does not refer to blacks as n*****s, does not brand Mexicans as rapists. In terms of immorality Trump is in a different league. He is - to be blunt - a racist misogynist who hates minorities and disrespects women.

And fortunately, growing numbers of Americans can see it.

It's over now. It's done, finished. Opinion polls typically are less accurate in the States than the UK but it matters not, it's gone too far. 

The first debate was utter car crash TV but that was long enough ago so will leave that where it is. The second one would have been OK for Trump had he not chosen to spend the night playing the random sentence generator game.

Q: Donald have you ever kissed a woman without their consent?

A: ISIS

The oddest thing about this whole sorry  scenario is the total lack of discussion about the details of the manifestos on the table. Frightening actually.

That aside, I've been absent for a while but thought I'd give here another go again so hi (again) all and hope everyone is well and look forward to chatting more regularly. 

10 hours ago, Pete2304 said:

It's over now. It's done, finished. Opinion polls typically are less accurate in the States than the UK but it matters not, it's gone too far. 

The first debate was utter car crash TV but that was long enough ago so will leave that where it is. The second one would have been OK for Trump had he not chosen to spend the night playing the random sentence generator game.

Q: Donald have you ever kissed a woman without their consent?

A: ISIS

The oddest thing about this whole sorry  scenario is the total lack of discussion about the details of the manifestos on the table. Frightening actually.

That aside, I've been absent for a while but thought I'd give here another go again so hi (again) all and hope everyone is well and look forward to chatting more regularly. 

It has been posited in the media that there might be such a thing as "shy Trump supporters". People planning to vote for the guy but too embarassed to admit it in public. So it might be tighter than it appears, because these people wouldn't show up in opinion polls.

This did concern me up until about a couple of months back. Then there was the issue with the family of the American soldier, the comments about the second amendment people maybe being able to do something about Hilary. Then there was the amazingly poor performance in the first debate, the somewhat questionable sniffing (I make no accusations, just seems the man has difficulty in getting rid of his cold) and then of course the video not to mention the accusations that surfaced last night. I think he did have a lot of silent voters but did have is not the same as having come Election Day.

Now he is trying to claim that the election is rigged, even to the point of trying to claim dodgy doings at polling stations as if the US were some third world banana republic.

The guy has lost the plot completely.

• Like 1

Totally off his rocker. Probably a good thing though as every outburst significantly lowers the chance that the USA will become more of a laughing stock to the world than it already is. I'm somewhat embarrassed to be an American at the moment. 

I reckon in the UK if he were standing for P.M,he would pretty much landslide it.A lot of what he says resonates more with us in the UK,maybe than in the USA.His attitute to our "Brexit" for example.He was thrilled for us,promising we would be a valued trading partner,whereas Obama was all down about it,telling us we would "be at the back of the queue"etc...Then all that about him being all sexist to women,so,men dont lust after women then?

16 minutes ago, Sroodtuo said:

Totally off his rocker. Probably a good thing though as every outburst significantly lowers the chance that the USA will become more of a laughing stock to the world than it already is. I'm somewhat embarrassed to be an American at the moment. 

The Republicans seriously shot themselves in the foot by lumbering themselves with this candidate.....am amazed at their stupidity over that. Almost anyone else would likely have beaten Clinton, or at least been in with a good chance.

What has happened is that he seems to have galvanised every racist, misogynist, and loon to support him along with those so disgruntled by the establishment that almost anyone claimimg to be outside it looks attractive. It could happen anywhere.

But how he manages to claim to be championing ordinary Americans and the forgotten classes, whilst being outside of the Establishment, when he himself is an entirely self-serving multi-millionaire who paid no taxes for 18 years is beyond me. And if that latter charge was in any way untrue, he could have neutralised it completely by revealing his tax returns. He shadily refuses to do so, which says it all, really.

But he'll not get anywhere near the Whitehouse. The decent and sensible majority will come good in November, I am sure

• Like 2

This is what I've been saying all along. I said on here when was officially nominated as the republican candidate that the keys to the White House were now Hilary's. Was talking today about Spitting Image (satirical political based comedy programme, ran in the U.K. For years) and even they couldn't have made up this situation. You just couldn't write it. I'm half convinced I'm going to wake up at some point and tell people about this weird dream I had where a bigoted, narcissistic, alleged perpetrator of a string of sexual assaults with a somewhat questionable state of mental health nearly became president of the United States.

• Like 1