Why don't the Like and Page controls work for me?

Hello.

For the past few weeks, I've had two controls that don't work for me:
- Like. When I click on it, I see a popup box with " Sorry, there was a problem reacting to this content. "
- Next Page/Page Number buttons. I get no response when clicking on these. However, dragging them to the address bar works.

I'm using Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 64-bit.

Thanks!

Hey, sorry to hear this. 

Just to eliminate these possibilities before we go any further, could you try clearing your cache and/or testing these functions in another browser and confirming if the problem persists?

Just used Brave to see the site, and both functions work. Yesterday, I was unable to edit or post another reply to this thread. Looks like Firefox is getting flaky.

FWIW, I'm running NoScript, and am allowing all Pee Fans scripts, but not Google Analytics.

Thanks!

Thanks, will check it out.

I'm using Brave on my Android devices, and have found it's much faster and much more stable than Firefox. It's also quite fast on PCs, but, sadly, lacks some of Firefox's convenience (like being able to drag links to the tab bar) and security (like NoScript).

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Chrome? Both on Android and PC?

That said, we of course want this functionality in all browsers, so I'll look into this for you. The fact this has only been the case in the last couple of weeks though does suggest it could be something your side. I know you said the extensions already had exceptions set etc, but nothing has changed here that would affect this over the last few weeks. I'll keep you updated though, but in the meantime please do let me know any other information that could be helpful to solve this.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I won't use Chrome or IE because of the information they harvest and send home. I prefer Firefox, mainly because of its add-ons like NoScript, so I can block (what I consider malware) like Google Analytics.

I should have mentioned that I've had a problem with StoriesOnline, where trying to save a page crashes the tab. However, the solution there is to click the Reading Mode button, which brings up a text-only version that saves easily.

Not sure what's up with FF these days 😞

BTW, I've noticed that, although clicking the page number button doesn't work, dragging it up to the same tab it's in does work. Seems like odd behavior on FF's part.

Edited by watchr12

Odd indeed - hopefully someone else who uses Firefox can verify whether it's the same for them?

Just as an FYI, Chrome has the same Noscript extension and other privacy/blocking extensions. That said, Firefox is still a popular browser, so if this is happening for everyone using it then we definitely need to ensure it's fixed. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Admin said:

Odd indeed - hopefully someone else who uses Firefox can verify whether it's the same for them?

Just as an FYI, Chrome has the same Noscript extension and other privacy/blocking extensions. That said, Firefox is still a popular browser, so if this is happening for everyone using it then we definitely need to ensure it's fixed. 

Just booted up Firefox, having absolutely no issues here.

Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit)

• Thanks 1

I don't see any Google or Microsoft phoning home, everything is locked out and handled by a $50 PC using a UNIX firewall. This does cause some problems with web pages that refuse to function without a response, but this site is not one of them.

Have you looked at Opera? It has some impressive anti phishing tech built in, it is also used here.

(I know, I have every browser you can think of, lol. Web programming needs to be tested on everything)

23 hours ago, Sophie said:

Just booted up Firefox, having absolutely no issues here.

Firefox Quantum 59.0.2 (64-bit)

Thanks, Sophie! No issues with the "like" button, or using the page buttons (on the page, not the forum list)? If not, I wonder what's going on with my browser.

BTW to everyone, I'm now using Brave on my Android tablet: it's several times faster than Firefox, and manages to completely load pages (while FF would sit at about 80% and never finish). Also, it appears to be much more stable than FF, which was crashing several times a day with various news and text sites, as well as The Wall Street Journal.

Thanks to all for your thoughts!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, likesToLick said:

Site works OK for me with firefox 59.0.2 in windows 10.

I did have some problems with Firefox when using it with an older version of Windows.

Hmmmmm: I'm running Win 7 SP1, don't see a build number. Woe is I.

On 4/19/2018 at 7:45 AM, Scot_Lover said:

I don't see any Google or Microsoft phoning home, everything is locked out and handled by a $50 PC using a UNIX firewall.

I don't quite see what you mean by the above.  Google "phones home" every time you do a google search.  If you blocked google search in your firewall,  then you couldn't do any searches.

Chrome "phones home" whenever you use it to access a web page.  If you blocked its access through your firewall,  you could not use it for web browsing.  Even your browser config information is stored at google.

If you are logged on to google (e.g. Gmail) while doing any of the above,  then all of this data is logged against your name.  If not, then it is logged against your IP address.

Yeah, I know. I've managed to reduce a lot of traffic from it, my internal network is in a DMZ, seperate from modem and the rest of my network. DuckDuckGo is my preferred search engine inside the network, PC and server (this is also a mail server for all accounts) in the garage can use anything, they are both running FreeBSD. I also have a Tor network in place, to add to the tracking merriment, if I can't beat them, I'll confuse the crap out of them. I know I cannot stop all forms of tracking, it's the nature of the Internet. I more concerned on what the phones can do than I am about stuff at home.

Just now, Scot_Lover said:

if I can't beat them, I'll confuse the crap out of them

I like this approach.

1 minute ago, Scot_Lover said:

I more concerned on what the phones can do than I am about stuff at home.

Me too.  I noticed that my phone was reporting all my movements to Google whenever I used the GPS.   A permanent record of my movements was being kept.  I have changed my google account settings to turn this off, but one never knows really.

A lot of interesting implications,  but I guess I'm getting off topic for the thread.   Apologies to everyone for the derailment.

I'm been having problems ever since the sites redesign a few weeks ago. Certain threads don't allow me to reply. It's getting worse, as this is the only thread that I've found so far today that I can reply to. Using Chrome, windows 64 bit. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 11:39 PM, Brutus said:

I'm been having problems ever since the sites redesign a few weeks ago. Certain threads don't allow me to reply. It's getting worse, as this is the only thread that I've found so far today that I can reply to. Using Chrome, windows 64 bit. 

Anyone have any suggestions?

That's very odd - nothing that changed should have affected anything like that.

Going back a few weeks there was a problem with the reply box now showing, but the problem was found and is now fixed.

Try clearing your cache and a new browser, as maybe you have the old settings cached.