Dutch women pee protesting

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/20/dutch-sexism-row-woman-fined-urinating-public/

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2017/09/amsterdam-pee-in-public-protest-cancelled-too-many-women-want-to-attend/

Long story short: Women was fined for peeing in public and a protest was set up inviting women to gather and pee in those public urinals or in public. But due to huge interest of women wanting to participate it had to be cancelled sadly. Now women shall take their protest to social networks with the hashtag #wildplassen.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I agree with them,to allow others to see you pee should be your own choice,not the decision of a judge.Suppose the girl did go in a male urinal,pity her they can be disgusting,and some sex fiend had seen her?Joking apart,its wrong.

• Like 2

Indeed it's not fair as there seem to be much more urinals for men than there are for women. Besides that my wild guess is that most women would rather have real closed toilets than those open urinals where you are forced to expose everything to the people around. I understand that's not a comfortable situation for girls who usually have more difficulties to find a place to pee discreetly anyways. Give them real toilets, the space needed is roughly the same.

• Agree 1

Wow.. in my area, the local news just posted something about it and my husband sent me the link.

I don't have the comments but i believe some gave out locations where they go pee when there isn't no washrooms. I am sure that you guys would loved to live in my area right now. I just wanted to share that. Btw, i would never piss there.

Screenshot_20170924-212103.thumb.png.2d7f32b6ba31174bea2ac8e5279a352c.png

Well done to the lady concerned for sticking up for herself and bringing the situation to the fore.  Shame the protest has been cancelled as it would have been quite something.  It is good that so many people offered to support and that would have really brought some attention to the situation.   

A fairly simple solution presumably would be to have the pissoirs enclosed right down to the ground and have gratings into which the ladies could squat and pee.  Not sure that many ladies would like using them, but it would be the same as peeing in the street but with a bit of privacy and no puddles.

@owlman76, interesting viewpoint re the planners.  However, the lack of toilets does seem to be pretty much across the UK (and elsewhere).   More and more public toilets are either permanently closed or are closed in the evening.   In our local area, several of the parks have public toilets provided by the local council.   They say it is a money saving thing as the toilets get vandalised if left open all night (I'm not sure that there is much evidence of that locally) and so, they are all locked by about 5pm.  In the summer, the parks are usually well used until much later than 5pm.   I've never caught anyone, but I can only assume that there must be at least a certain amount of peeing in the bushes going on, or people having to curtail their visit because they need to go home to pee. Unfortunately I don't get time to sit around in parks of an evening, but I'm sure the sightings are there.

In the town centre, there are only two sets of public toilets.  They are both in shopping centres and both closed by about 6pm.    After that, the only toilets are within supermarkets, restaurants, the cinema and pubs, so you would need to go into an establishment (or do what I do and find a quiet corner in the car park).

On 26/09/2017 at 2:54 PM, owlman76 said:

Exactly, and the police reckon you should go into a pub or club if you need a pee, a lot of places don't like it, and I can't blame them, how would the idiots who come up with these ideas like people knocking on their door to use the loo?

And also, once the pubs etc close is exactly when you need a pee and can't find a toilet.  Suits me OK, but it is not right that the police can penalise someone peeing outside when no toilets are available.

I've been to Amsterdam a few times, peeing in public seems to be very frowned upon,  my mate went up against a building one night and took a lot of grief from passers by, it's one of the few large cities I've been to that public peeing on a night was very uncommon. Also those street urinals are quite rare, I only saw a couple dotted around but never got the chance to use one.

Edited by lordofcoatham1
over sensitive auto correct