Peeing in public and the laws

Today at my lunch time, i have decided to grab some sushi with a worker and sit in the park. As we approach a bench, there was 2 police officers give a fine to a lady that was caught peeing. The lady in question was not too happy and said that she will contest the thicket.

About a year ago, someone has spotted 2 police officers at different locations taking a leak in public and nothing was said about this. The same as they give tickets for texting and driving. A friend of ours asked the high ranking officer, why they are allowed texting while others can't. His response was that they use it for emergencies which makes no sense to me or anyone. Same thing goes for public peeing situation, i guess you can call it an emergency as well, so why are they allowed and not the civilains? I guess we will never get a honest answer.

How is it in your area? Has anyone had any issues with what i just wrote?

In the UK  "urinating in a public place" is a crime which generally merits a fine, though quite often these days the police will simply make the pisser clean it up and then send them on their way with a verbal warning. Have never personally seen police officers peeing in public places, but if they did I expect there would be the same double standards that Sephora mentioned. They can ignore the law with impunity because they can. No one is going to enforce it against them. Just like if a colleague gets pulled over for speeding they will never give him a speeding ticket.

Men get caught for public peeing much more often than women here. That is probably because ladies do it less often, and tend more often to pick more discrete locations when they do do it.

But there is a law on our statute books whereby a pregnant lady in need of a pee has the legal right to request that a policeman allow her to urinate in his helmet!!!

I kid you not, lol.

• Like 2

One of the problems in the States, which has become more common in recent years, is that men have been busted for indecent exposure, which is a much more serious charge than public urination, and may carry the requirement to register as a sex offender, which is a huge nightmare. I have never heard of a woman being busted for indecent exposure, just for urinating in public. But caution is always in order, especially in today's world, where surveillance cameras are everywhere.

23 hours ago, Dr.P said:

One of the problems in the States, which has become more common in recent years, is that men have been busted for indecent exposure, which is a much more serious charge than public urination, and may carry the requirement to register as a sex offender, which is a huge nightmare. I have never heard of a woman being busted for indecent exposure, just for urinating in public. But caution is always in order, especially in today's world, where surveillance cameras are everywhere.

I think busting someone for peeing in public for indecent exposure and registering them as a sex offender is fucking ridiculous, but I've heard it happens over there.

Because clearly in the vast majority of cases it is in now way sexually motivated at all, but simply a chronic need to pee in combination with a chronic lack of anywhere proper to do it.

Women here have been called out by the police for peeing in public, but less often than men. But when it does happen they get treated much the same way - made to clean it up with a verbal warning or at worst a fine.

I know some of us might like to think so, most public pissing isn't in any way really done as an act of sexual exhibitionism.....though the drunk girl I saw years ago squatting and peeing in the middle a busy pavement with a grin on her face late one night is probably an exception.

But it would have to be something like that to even stand a slight chance of a public indecency charge, and even then just peeing would be highly unlikely to get anyone on any sex offenders list. It would probably require an unwilling victim underneath being peed on for that to happen.

Mind you, I bet this young lady would struggle to convince any judge or jury that her public urination was not sexually motivated......

180.png

Hahaha

And THAT'S the kind of public pissing I really would love to stumble across. lol

Actually, that little screenshot from one of a series of similar public pissing videos filmed in Budapest raises another point of discussion. Are public exposure and public urination laws extremely lax there or something?

• Like 1

A friend of mine was convicted for indecent exposure for peeing in a side street one night despite the fact that all the public toilets were closed. I also read a  report in the local newspaper of a woman squatting in the street and also being convicted of indecent exposure. Both in the UK.

I used to visit Holland frequently some years ago and have seen people openly pissing in public. The same in Belgium. I was quite tempted to move there at one time but common sense took over :)

Having done it many times myself, the motto is don't get caught :)

That's interesting.  I guess it varies between localities but I know that in some areas of the UK would be classed as a littering offence which, if there is a hierarchy of offences, is a lesser matter than indecent exposure.  I can understand an indecent exposure charge if a guy has his penis out of his pants and isn't really doing anything with it other, than perhaps masturbating.  I don't think it ought to apply if he's weeing for England and there's no toilet available within a reasonable distance.  

As I understand it in the UK, the way the "offence" is handled depends on the local byelaws.   I believe that the national laws don't specifically prohibit peeing in public, but it is more likely that you would get collared under a Section 5 offence, which refers to Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986.  To be convicted under this, the officer has to prove that your act of behaviour caused or had intent to cause harassment, alarm or distress.  However, some local byelaws specifically target peeing in a public place and have a variety of ways of wording it and a variety of penalties.

Another option is "Indecent Exposure" under the Sexual Offences Act 2003.  However, this relates to exposure that is considered offensive or morally unacceptable and would be more likely if you fully exposed yourself to a small group of the opposite gender rather than taking a discrete pee in a corner. It is also more likely to be used against men then women because very few men would consider a women exposing themselves to be offensive - they would just enjoy the view and therefore wouldn't act as witnesses for the prosecution.  This is a bit like night clubbing - you see women wearing next to nothing - sometimes really short skirts with no knickers and their privates being flashed.  That seems to be fine, but if a man walked round with his appendages on display then he would probably be arrested!

Interestingly, with the recent trend to installing street urinals for use on Friday and Saturday nights, they are actually encouraging exposure and public urination because anyone using one of these is effectively on full show and they tend to be sited in very visible locations.

The police vary in their treatment of the offence depending on the situation - they are far more likely to be lenient at 3am on a Friday night than at 2pm on a weekday.  They are also more likely to be lenient in a country location than in the middle of town.  They would also take a more serious view of people peeing in full public eye on the pavement in a busy town rather than someone who has gone out of there way to find a quiet secluded spot.

Also, if there are lots of people peeing, the police are unlikely to do much as they haven't got the resources to deal with everyone.   Another fact is that for every offence recorded, it will increase the crime statistics for the area, so the police may not be that keen in issuing too many fines as it would make the area look like an area of high crime rate - even if it were only for people peeing outside.

I have seen or am aware of police taking a variety of actions:

- A complete blind eye (I saw ladies and men peeing in the street in Exeter with police stood on the corner less than 50 yards away, no action was taken)
- A warning (I have received this myself - a policeman saw me peeing in a corner with my back to the street.  I turned round when I finished and saw him stood there.  He told me that I shouldn't be peeing in public in the middle of the afternoon as there could be women and children around.  I told him I was sorry but the public toilet was locked (it was) and I didn't know the area very well and I was really desperate so had found the most secluded spot that I could.   He said OK, but don't let me catch you doing it again.
- Issuing a mop and bucket (I know that in some towns, police give the offender the opportunity to clean up their mess)
- An £80 fine for a section 5 offence (Never seen it, but I believe it happens)

So, my plan is to keep peeing outside, but not right under the noses of the police!

I have a friend who is in the police and he has no qualms peeing outside.  He just does it discretely.

Just for interest, here is a police woman dealing with a woman who peed in the street in Blackpool.  My guess is she only got challenged because she was spotted by kids who reported her.

Guest UnabashedUser

In these here parts, partner (West Texas)getting caught peeing usually results in a disorderly conduct ticket  $25 and if you don't give the cop any lip that's it. It's an 'infraction', lower than a violation, and has no record attached to it.

1 hour ago, UnabashedUser said:

In these here parts, partner (West Texas)getting caught peeing usually results in a disorderly conduct ticket  $25 and if you don't give the cop any lip that's it. It's an 'infraction', lower than a violation, and has no record attached to it.

Well that sounds like a reasonably sensible approach.