What does this site need most?

I think if we could have an indication no matter what page youre on that someone has posted a chatbox message..sometimes you can be browsing for 10 minutes or so,and people have come and gone from the chatbox.At least then you could click on and see who it might be,start a chat thread etc..

1 hour ago, P-Spud said:

I can't think of anything big. It would be nice if we had other choices than "like" for a post as we used to.

Agree 100%

Sometimes we have a very good post (photo, story, link) and want to rate it "hot", "super" etc

1 hour ago, P-Spud said:

I can't think of anything big. It would be nice if we had other choices than "like" for a post as we used to.

Yes, though I would advise against reintroducing negative icons such as "dislike", "disagree" and so on. A small minority of members used these in the past to break the spirit of our rules against judgementalism, by disliking the posts of often new members simply because they personally did not like the content,  even ignoring requests to remove them when asked to do so by mods. This served no positive purpose beyond allowing the poster to feel good about making someone else feel bad for daring to post something he or she didn't like.

And one now banned member - MegaPoopTech - was very fond of attaching negative icons to every post made by members he didn't like, ie, using these icons to troll.

A wider range of positive icons, eg "funny", "agree", "thanks", etc  would be good. But negative icons are all too often used for negative purposes which can do harm to our cause of being a friendly and welcoming forum. We are better off without negative icons.

Perhaps a trivial issue,  but it would be nice to have some better emoticons.  The set we have seem to be a bit weird looking. Look at this wink for example: :10_wink: It looks like the poor guy has facial palsy.

I do like to award a few hot chilies to my favorite posts though :367_hot_pepper::367_hot_pepper::367_hot_pepper:

Would be great if members could add custom emoticons to the repertoire.

Like I said, it's trivial, and can go to the bottom of the priority list,  but would be nice to have.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, P-Spud said:

What choices would you prefer to see if it were possible?

I'll see if the feature is available with IPS, but sadly I'm not sure.

3 hours ago, fannywatcher said:

I think if we could have an indication no matter what page youre on that someone has posted a chatbox message..sometimes you can be browsing for 10 minutes or so,and people have come and gone from the chatbox.At least then you could click on and see who it might be,start a chat thread etc..

Keep the chatbox ( http://peefans.com/index.php?/chatbox/ ) open in a separate tab and the notification should still come through. I'd be reluctant to give everyone the sound even if it's not open, as obviously some people don't want to use that feature. I've moved it to the top of the home page to see if that boosts activity.

22 minutes ago, likesToLick said:

Perhaps a trivial issue,  but it would be nice to have some better emoticons.  The set we have seem to be a bit weird looking. Look at this wink for example: :10_wink: It looks like the poor guy has facial palsy.

I do like to award a few hot chilies to my favorite posts though :367_hot_pepper::367_hot_pepper::367_hot_pepper:

Would be great if members could add custom emoticons to the repertoire.

Like I said, it's trivial, and can go to the bottom of the priority list,  but would be nice to have.

Any suggestions? If you can find me some to add I'll by all means change them. I do agree the default really aren't the best :8_laughing:

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to mention - the old forum used to identify if members were male or female.   It would be nice to have this visible on each post like it was in the old forum software.  

Other places also allow people to display their sexual identity,  e.g. hetero, gay, lesbian, trans etc.

Apologies if I have the terminology wrong, but what I'm getting at is that it helps to understand another person's point of view if you know where they are coming from.

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, likesToLick said:

One thing I forgot to mention - the old forum used to identify if members were male or female.   It would be nice to have this visible on each post like it was in the old forum software.  

Other places also allow people to display their sexual identity,  e.g. hetero, gay, lesbian, trans etc.

Apologies if I have the terminology wrong, but what I'm getting at is that it helps to understand another person's point of view if you know where they are coming from.

Yes, I really miss the sexual identity.  Especially male and female.  The others would be interesting.  I have had an interesting discussion with one member about how many females were Bi.

• Like 1

Will certainly look into gender/sexuality display.

3 minutes ago, weeweefran said:

maybe somewhere you can browse other members?

You could do an advanced search - http://peefans.com/index.php?/search/ you can filter by only searching for members, and segment that by certain join dates / usernames etc. If you just wanted a list of all registered members, select a date range from present day back to December 2013.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Admin said:

Would it be possible to have the little ratings like we had on the other forum? I know you can limit ratings so it should be simple to eliminate the negative ones.

• Like 2
On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 7:56 AM, fannywatcher said:

I guess we can ignore that which offends us.

Unless it is explicitly against forum rules - in which case it should be reported - then yes, rather than spreading negativity around about things that we personally don't like, just move on by and ignore it and leave it to those who do appreciate it. Everyone has different tastes after all, so in the name of being as broad-minded, friendly, and welcoming a forum as possible to as many members as possible, none of us should be passing negative judgement on the pee-related likes and dislikes of others.

A forum such as this does not benefit from having any self-appointed arbiters of acceptable taste. Some of us can remember that sort of thing being allowed to get out of hand on other sites in the past, and it only damages them. No one's personal taste here is superior to anyone else's. In terms of what we like and don't like, we are all equals.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 4/15/2017 at 5:12 AM, Admin said:

Keep the chatbox ( http://peefans.com/index.php?/chatbox/ ) open in a separate tab and the notification should still come through. I'd be reluctant to give everyone the sound even if it's not open, as obviously some people don't want to use that feature. I've moved it to the top of the home page to see if that boosts activity.

Any suggestions? If you can find me some to add I'll by all means change them. I do agree the default really aren't the best :8_laughing:

A "laugh" choice would be good as well as a surprised face.

The alternative reactions are entirely possible, but would require software updates. Currently the forum is getting by just fine in terms of supporting itself and paying standard costs (server etc). However, additional features and upgrades would require additional donations. 

Basically, it can be done, but for a lot of newer features a price tag will come too. 

Am considering investing in this site, so stay tuned, reactions may be returning better than ever. :)

Please keep the ideas coming - that seemed to be the one that kept cropping up, most of the others already seem in place now. However, I'm sure you all have some other suggestions of things you'd like to see here. Nothing is too crazy.

• Like 1

I'll probably make a longer post this evening which might be a bit of a word vomit, but there are two things that spring to mind. Not essential but they would be nice.

• Being able to search through Private Messages 

I don't believe you can search through a conversation for a specific message or phrase. One of my conversations has 10,500 posts between us and it would be amazing if I could search for specific content inside that instead of going through 100s of pages to find what I'm looking for .

• Linking the bottom popup notification with the bell at the top 

(Yeah I know that didn't make sense) When I get a notification I get a little popup bar at the bottom of my screen saying something like "X liked a post in the topic Y" and if I click it, it takes me to the thread. Fantastic. 

However, the notification still appears at the notification bell at the top of the page. They're not linked together so clicking the popup doesn't set the notification as read. I hope that makes sense 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1