Nocturnia

I don't know whether anyone else here has picked up on it, but I heard an item on today's news about a study in Japan which had uncovered a link between excessive salt consumption and nocturnia - the need to get up and pee at least once or twice a night which is a common experience for people over a certain age.  Personally I'm inclined to treat the findings with a little scepticism as I'd expect salt to have the opposite effect if anything, but then I'm no chemist.  

Yeah salt is weird in that it does dehydrate you. But it makes your kidneys excrete more fluid from the blood. I've noticed that if I eat a salty meal a few hours before bed, I have to pee multiple times a night and the volume is just stupid, as if I'm on a diuretic. A low salt meal or nothing at all and my kidneys are calm all night.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I think we need to make nocturia more in fashion, maybe give it a slogan like "it's not just for old men any more."

I've always liked those camping with a girlfriend under the stars, when we'd always wake at least once in the night. Of course, we'd tell each other we were stepping out of the tent to check out the stars, but our bladders knew the truth of the matter. 

1 minute ago, Sephora said:

Maybe i should cut back on my sodium in that case

It's my understanding that decreasing sodium means that less water gets reabsorbed by the kidneys. Consequently, the bladder fills more quickly. Eventually it all comes out, but, depending on your salt intake, you can either pee now or later.

19 minutes ago, glad1 said:

It's my understanding that decreasing sodium means that less water gets reabsorbed by the kidneys. Consequently, the bladder fills more quickly. Eventually it all comes out, but, depending on your salt intake, you can either pee now or later.

Well if thats the case, lolol   My bf asked for a GS treatment tonight, this involves 1 bottle of red for me. I already drank 1 litre of water today. I would like to hold it in more often, but at that moment, i have to go no matter what.

3 minutes ago, Sephora said:

Well if thats the case, lolol   My bf asked for a GS treatment tonight, this involves 1 bottle of red for me. I already drank 1 litre of water today. I would like to hold it in more often, but at that moment, i have to go no matter what.

Dr. Glad's recommendation would be to have some salt with your water now to help you hold, then take potassium (like a  banana) with your wine to get things flowing.