Site Issues

I can't re-create these errors, no Windows XP here, when an Operating System is no longer supported or maintained, I give them up. All of my pc's are Windows 10 or FreeBSD 10.3, using all browsers I can find, I need all of them when testing my programming, 

Site works fine on all of my devices, Sony phone, iPad, Samsung S6 and S7, even the BSD firewall recognises the security settings, indicating that there is no issue with connecting. 

I don't know anything about XP, but given its age, could this be the issue?

After doing some research on the error that was posted, it appears that the type of SSL certificate we use isn't compatible with computers running Windows XP. I would note that this doesn't have anything to do with the forum software itself. That being said unfortunately the only way to fix this would be for users to upgrade their operating systems which is a good idea anyway, as windows XP's end of life date was about 2 1/2 years ago, and it no longer receives security updates. Removing the SSL certificate would make everyone's connection to the site less secure, so I am not going to remove the certificate.

- A

3 hours ago, Admin said:

After doing some research on the error that was posted, it appears that the type of SSL certificate we use isn't compatible with computers running Windows XP.

Thank you for the information.   I agree that it's better for everyone that you continue to use SSL,  particularly considering the recent climate of censorship and prudery.

Looks like I will have to bite the bullet and buy a new version of Window$.

4 hours ago, Sophie said:

If the computer is running XP, chances are it's not very powerful. Is it possible that the new forum software is just too much for the pc to handle?

What are the specs of your computer?

Quad core Intel Yorkfield 64 bit, 2.5 GHz x 4, with 4 Gb RAM.

It's only about 5 years old, but last time I upgraded, I kept the old operating system.  I kind of resent the fact that each new version of Windows contains more misery than the last.  (A lot of my working life revolves around repairing applications that have been broken by  system software "upgrades", so I tend to avoid doing the same thing in my personal life.  )  

I've been meaning to convert to Linux,  but never seem to find the time for the learning curve.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Scot_Lover said:

I can't re-create these errors, no Windows XP here, when an Operating System is no longer supported or maintained, I give them up.

Yes - I have been delaying the agony for as long as possible, but looks like I can no longer avoid wasting a week on contributing my small mite to Bill's fortune.

I don't know anything about XP, but given its age, could this be the issue?

Definitely seems to be the issue as far as the SSL error in Chrome is concerned.

Stop Press:  I have, however, made a further interesting discovery.   I have been using Firefox Portable Edition on a USB drive.  This is convenient for carrying my browsing preferences between two PCs.  Today I have connected using an "installed" browser instead, and performance is much improved.

I suspect that the portable edition may be caching content on the USB drive,  and perhaps retrieving data across the USB connection when decrypting the SSL pages and images.   That may be a reason for the poor performance I have experienced. (The other SSL sites I visit only have very low data volumes.)

Thank you, and thanks also to Admin, Steve and Sophie for your help and suggestions with this.

@likesToLick

I hear what you are saying re delaying the agony - and expense - of an upgrade in your systems. I myself bought my original laptop - which had a Windows Vista set up going on - in 2009, and only upgraded to Windows 10 with a new laptop a couple of weeks ago! By that time most of my browsers on the original were no longer receiving updates, VLC Media player kept crashing, random weirdness was going on - eg the picture disappearing for a few seconds, or the whole thing freezing and only being made to work again by shutting down and restarting, and shit like that. And there were also definite signs of virus infection.

I finally decided that my usual habit of using the same shit until it totally failed on me - my last TV lasted for 16 years, lol - was becoming unsustainable and unwise when it came to computers. I let my credit card take a hit and bought a new one.

I do still keep the original though, because it is effectively functioning as a storage device, where most of my pics and vids are still to be found. I have transferred my best vids and my most recent pics over to here, but figure that if I leave the majority of it stored there and only retrieve it or view it when I want to, I will continue to enjoy lots of free disc space here for new material - which was incidentally also becoming a bit of a problem on my old laptop. It had reached a stage where I was periodically having to select vids for deletion to free up disc space for new ones.

• Like 1