Problem with Windows Media Player

This is not really a problem with the site at all. It exists purely at my end.

But some of you may have noticed that whilst I still post a lot of pics I upload very few vids to the video gallery anymore. This is because my Windows Media Player is kaput. It simply will not work.

I can use other players, but they don't seem to give me the option of cropping and editing a vid as WMP did. And this makes a massive difference due to the file size limit here for video uploads. To resize larger videos in their entirety to the level where they are within the limit involves such an appalling deterioration in quality for many of them that they are not worth uploading. I used to be able to make them smaller by cropping out all the extraneous stuff so that little if any actual resizing was necessary, but that option is not available to me now because the player that allowed me to do that is no longer operational on my computer.

Does anyone have any advice? Or know of alternative players that also have cropping and editing facilities, allowing me to edit videos?

Thanks

I use VLC to cut out the relevant scenes in a movie, not sure if it resizes or crops as such. Just Fast Forward to the scene you need, hit record (Playback Menu) and stop when done.

Just checked it out, has a crop function, but just preset values, 16:9, 4:3, 1:1 and such like. If you know how this works, it may do what you need.

Edited by Guest
I use VLC to cut out the relevant scenes in a movie, not sure if it resizes or crops as such. Just Fast Forward to the scene you need, hit record (Playback Menu) and stop when done.

Just checked it out, has a crop function, but just preset values, 16:9, 4:3, 1:1 and such like. If you know how this works, it may do what you need.

Maybe I am getting things confused, but VLC player is what I always used to crop vids. Don't know why I called it windows media player. And it is exactly what doesn't work for me anymore.

I have always used a separate program - Handbreak - to resize.

I can still view any vids by playing them on KMPlayer, but this doesn't seem to give me any cropping functions.

Some notions of how to get VLC back up and running, or a free download alternative that allows me to crop videos would be most welcome.

All I can think of is that it's been corrupted some how. Uninstall completely and reinstall?

Not sure if you know how to use regedit, remove all references to Videolan.

Just be careful doing this though, it's a fragile part of Windows, easy to break.

It came already installed. And I am not confident or knowledgeable enough to uninstall something built in in case of destructive unintended consequences.

But maybe I will have to give that a try sometime.