Request: Ability to change shoutbox timezone

It would be so great if members could change the time zone used in the shoutbox. If you catch a message it will show "55 minutes ago" or something similar but after that it will show something like "5:36am" which is great if you are in that timezone, but for everyone else we're left wondering if that was posted an hour ago, or several hours ago.

What I'm asking is being able for us to change it to our local time zone. It used to be in GMT so I didn't have a problem but of course others did, and now with the new admin it's I believe EST or at least an American time zone. We can change the forum time, please allow us to change the shoutbox too.

I agree. It would be easier for us all if Shoutbox could somehow show whatever timezone each of us preferred.

I assume it has changed from GMT to EST, requiring a mental calculation. This is greatly complicated by the fact that although the clocks go back and forward in both time zones, they do so at totally different dates. This means that whilst the majority of the time we are five hours ahead, there are periods when we are only four hours ahead!

I'd be thrilled if the time stamp simply used my time zone. I don't need to know the time elsewhere (which could be used to figure out where someone might live, btw), just when a comment was posted. I hate responding to an interesting discussion only to find out it's 6 hours old and everyone's gone.

I agree. It would be easier for us all if Shoutbox could somehow show whatever timezone each of us preferred.

I assume it has changed from GMT to EST, requiring a mental calculation. This is greatly complicated by the fact that although the clocks go back and forward in both time zones, they do so at totally different dates. This means that whilst the majority of the time we are five hours ahead, there are periods when we are only four hours ahead!

GMT should not change.

Perhaps England goes on daylight time and changes by an hour, but GMT should be constant.

GMT should not change.

Perhaps England goes on daylight time and changes by an hour, but GMT should be constant.

Yes, we are on GMT only from late October to late March. The rest of the year our clocks are an hour further forward on what we call BST - British Summer Time.

One of my car clocks is a real pain to change from Daylight time to Standard time because I have to advance it by eleven hours.

I can only advance by 20 minutes before it stops and I have to pull the knob again.

This year I just left the clock on EDT and so it corrected itself when we got daylight time again.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to allow users to set their own timezone. However, I have changed the Shout-box time to "absolute" so that it shows the exact date and time the message was sent, as opposed to just "Yesterday" or "an hour ago".

All times are in UTC-05:00

Unfortunately, there isn't currently a way to allow users to set their own timezone. However, I have changed the Shout-box time to "absolute" so that it shows the exact date and time the message was sent, as opposed to just "Yesterday" or "an hour ago".

All times are in UTC-05:00

At least we can see the difference between the UTC time and our local time. That is some help.