Tech advice from an unlikely source (ie, me!Lol)

I have been uploading very few vids into the video galleries lately. This has mostly been because VLC Media Player - which has always allowed me to crop and edit videos - has been crashing on me every time I try and play a vid. I've been relying on KMPlayer as an alternative for several months, but have never been able to figure out how to crop and edit with it. And the full vids are often either too large for the galleries or have too much extraneous shit I want to edit out.

So today I decided to actually try and do something about VLC. And with the help of some google searching I discovered a solution that worked! Opening VLC Media Player, clicking "tools", then going into "preferences", then clicking the "video" option at the top of the page, then disabling "accelerated video output" seems to have solved the problem.

I now have four vids cropped and ready for uploading, which I shall begin in a moment.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone else has been having similar problems with VLC Media Player.

This can be due to video hardware and/or drivers and is a good suggestion to try for anyone who has a problem with any video player.

For editing you may wish to give Virtualdub a try. It's got a bit of a learning curve, but is about the best free linear editor out there for Windows. It can only output to avi and not mp4 though.

Thanks for that.

Some of the vids I download are Avi, but rather a lot are MP4.

The good thing about getting VLC Player up and running, is that I can, via Handbrake - which I downloaded some time back - convert any format into a VLC media file, which I can then crop and edit on VLC Media Player. The combination of VLC and Handbrake thus allows me to crop and edit any video. Handbrake can also resize videos, so that even those which are too large after editing can be downsized to fit into our gallery.

It is a combination that has worked well with me for some time, but which totally broke down when VLC Media Player started crashing. So glad that that's sorted now.