Time Travel

Scot_Lover

Here's a thing, been dabbling in writing, and one plot revolves around time travel, I know, it's been done before.

But, what would you do if you went back to a supposedly historical event, and found nothing?

Say you went back to witness some of the juicy parts of the Bible, if you could even find where they occurred, and found nothing? Would you come back to the present time and tell everyone?

They way my time machine works is like a "window" into that time, you can only observe not interfere, and no one in that time knew you were "peeping" on them.

The great thing about 3 people so close together is that you get some pretty intense conversations going, so what do you think? Mary sez if I publish anything like this, I'll end up dead somewhere, that's if the flat earthers don't throw me off the edge first.

I think NOT being able to interfere is very important...i often wonder if in WW1,an insignificant Obergefreiter A.Hitler,had been killed,instead of just wounded,no-one would ever have heard of him.But would another have arisen instead,would there still have been a Nazi Germany?Would they have actually been much more statesman like,more able to conduct military matters,and maybe actually have won WW2?So if anyone did get the idea of going back and killing Hitler in 1916,maybe thats the way to think of not interfering?

Say you went back to witness some of the juicy parts of the Bible, if you could even find where they occurred, and found nothing?
I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I'm pretty confident that none of them would have happened, though it might be interesting to find out what Ezekiel was smoking.

Would you come back to the present time and tell everyone?
No. The bible thumpers and flat earthers would lynch me.

Mary sez if I publish anything like this, I'll end up dead somewhere, that's if the flat earthers don't throw me off the edge first.
Bigotry is definitely strong in today's world. If Jesus really did return to the Earth today, my guess is that modern day Christians would crucify him before two weeks had passed. The Jews and Moslems wouldn't get a look-in.
  • 1 month later...
Here's a thing, been dabbling in writing, and one plot revolves around time travel, I know, it's been done before.

But, what would you do if you went back to a supposedly historical event, and found nothing?

Say you went back to witness some of the juicy parts of the Bible, if you could even find where they occurred, and found nothing? Would you come back to the present time and tell everyone?

They way my time machine works is like a "window" into that time, you can only observe not interfere, and no one in that time knew you were "peeping" on them.

The great thing about 3 people so close together is that you get some pretty intense conversations going, so what do you think? Mary sez if I publish anything like this, I'll end up dead somewhere, that's if the flat earthers don't throw me off the edge first.

Sounds like a highly interesting concept. and just the sort of thing I'd buy to read if I saw such a book somewhere.

Would be great if you could get it published.

I quite like the idea of going back in time and being able to set practical jokes, then retreating into my extra-dimensional bubble that allows me to observe without being observed.

I'd put whoopee cushions on Caesar's throne, plastic fake dog turds on Queen Victoria's bed, and shit like that and laugh at the responses.

I quite like the idea of going back in time and being able to set practical jokes, then retreating into my extra-dimensional bubble that allows me to observe without being observed.

I'd put whoopee cushions on Caesar's throne, plastic fake dog turds on Queen Victoria's bed, and shit like that and laugh at the responses.

Rofl, this is probably the cause of some notably famous executions.

I think the major problem with wanting to see historical events would become more problematic to say the least, the further you go back from a varification stand point, dates and times were not recorded accuratly and in the case of most religious texts the event simply never happened or is an amalgamation of several people and events. Personally if I had a time machine I would go back to the 3rd or 4th century c.e. and take plans for technology and health. It was around the height of the Roman empire they were sufficiantly advanced and powerful with a managable world populationl that it would have been feasable to kick start the industrial revoloution and by pass well over a millenia of civilisation that was retarded by religion and halt them before they took hold. Starting with simple ideas such as looms, steam engines and basic ideas about health and hygene combined with virtually untapped rescources would most likely mean we arnt in the dire mess we are today.

Yeah, it's a headache, the current recognised bible is The King James (KJB) and it was commissioned in 1604, completed in 1611. The first ever recorded version was supposedly written in 1409, this is 1400 years A.D. There was no paper available before this date, I have no idea how it was recorded before this. Another thing I found was that in the 1500's, some people didn't like what was written, and went off to write their own versions, Geneva was one city that grew from these "splitters".

We did toy with the idea of picking something significant and following it back, but that kind of fizzled out, pretty much anything after 500 years is murky.

before paper as we know it made from wood or fiberous material for anything permenaant such as holy books and scholarily works they used vellum whiich is very fine treated hide, but as a writing material is far superior in longevity to paper but is very expensive and time consming to produce especially in a pre modern age.

As a document the kjb is precededd by several other bibles, the kjb was the first to be translated from latin into english and as such is prone to some instances of difficulty translating and therefore different in that way. Another issue is here are several other branches of christianity all claiming to have the true christian bible, catholics, russian, greek and egyptian orthadoxes to name but a few and all will give roughly the same accounts, some gospels are added or removed as i believe there are 67 or so known ones, but some events will differ slightly throughout each. Of these bibles many will have roots that can be traced to the earlies known bibles dating from around 800ce, prior to that there are no known examples dating back to around 100ce when the new testament was first starting to be recorded.

And then you have the problem with the old testament which is directly based on parts of the torah and have again the problem of mis translation throughout the ages and no known early copies. A lot of the events in there that claim to be historical may well be dubious to say the least with a growing number of even conservative biblical scholars believing them to be more fables with moralistic tales and even having been plagerised from existing religions.

Hmm, I can't quite imagine any historical event I'd like to see in person.

Considering that I just posted an answer to the "conspiracy"-thread, I probably would like to have a look inside the planes that hit the WTC-Buildings, or check the debris of the WTC right after it fell for... particular pieces of evidence.

But then again, to what use ?

Unless such a Time-Window-Machine (I call it that way because it would only allow you to take a look at past events, not send you there in person) would be used by scientists, and for the purpose of ACTUALLY uncover the truth, it's just not worth being the only one knowing the truth (that is, if that truths differs from the official version).

People tend to believe what makes them feel good, anyway, so "the truth" is not always very popular.

Even if you find that Jesus did not exist, that would not change a thing.

It would be much more important if people could realize when they are dogmatic, and that being dogmatic is actually a bad thing - especially when you start to chop of the heads of people who disagree with you.

Boy, having a machine that could do THAT... that would be really helpful.

... I wonder what it would do to me... . O_o

• 1 year later...

Couple of interesting changes made when the KJB was written....

Lot's wife used to have been turned into a pillar of Paprika - but the English had never heard of the spice at the time.

There was a linguistic distinction between 'evil magic user' and 'good magic user'.  But English (a language that shouldn't actually exist, because it's an amalgam of the languages of the various conquering invaders over the millennia and therefore follows none of the rules governing all other human speech.  If it did, we'd all be talking like Yoda, for example.  It's second only to Mandarin in difficulty to learn for non-native speakers - which it's mutually exclusive to in mastering from birth - babies can learn the sounds for either one or the other), doesn't have such a distinction and translated it to "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live." not 'evil magic user' - causing many problems.