Which event from history do you wish you could have seen?

F.W

If you think of the billions of years,all kinds of battles,or great ships,the monuments such as the Pyramids,have been built,creatures evolving and becoming extinct,all without any kind of photographic record at all.:frown:Even the US Civil War,the first "media" war,was shot on glass plates,many of which were used as greenhouse glass and lost forever.If you could go back in time to any time period,what would you most like to have actually witnessed,can be even millions of years.I guess with me,it would have to be a Napoleonic battle,like Waterloo,Borodino,etc.To see the hundreds of thousands of men and horses in all their regalia,spread out over miles of battlefield,knocking the crap out of each other,must have been a terrifying,yet awe-inspiring sight,yet no photographs of this great era of European history exist,unlike WW1 and WW2,of course.Or if there was even 5 minutes of footage of the French cavalry charge at Waterloo.(WE won,by the way..:laugh:)Or to see a T-Rex on the attack would have been pant-filling i bet!For simplicity,try to pick just one thing,so you really have to think about it!:thumbsup:

I'd like to have been on that plane - the Enola Gay - just after it dropped that atom bomb on Hiroshima - donning dark goggles for the flash, feeling the plane lurch as the shockwave passed, then looking back to see that mushroom cloud. It must have looked both awesome and terrible.

Great answers guys!But i was thinking more along the lines of those historical times,when there was no photography,i mean that we can today see what a B-29 looked like,Kevins "FiFi" for example,or Eisenhower speaking to troops before D-Day,but we can never see a Roman Legion on the march,or see Napoleon reviewing his troops before a great battle,with all the flags and music,or what pomp must have preceeded a Pharoah upon entering a city,that kind of thing,things we will never actually see,there are no photos.

If I had to go back to pre-photographic times, I'd love to be able to look out to sea and view the viking longships approaching shore on a mission to plunder. Wouldn't want to still be there when they arrived, though - not without a sub-machine gun in my possession at any rate.

I'd love to see a native American buffalo hunt.

But above all else, Id love to go way back to observe a Neanderthal community, to see what they were really like.

• Like 1

I'd like to be at Cape Kennedy to watch Apollo XI take off for the journey to the moon. Then I'd like to be on the Lunar surface to see Armstrong and Aldrin land. (I'd have to be invisible for that one. It would totally freak them out to find a little old fat guy in a space suit waiting for them.)

I'd like to be at Cape Kennedy to watch Apollo XI take off for the journey to the moon. Then I'd like to be on the Lunar surface to see Armstrong and Aldrin land. (I'd have to be invisible for that one. It would totally freak them out to find a little old fat guy in a space suit waiting for them.)

Try think of events BEFORE photography though,that was my point..:thumbsup:

Sorry, missed that. :redface:

I guess i should have come up with a better title!But its just fun,and it doesnt matter,im glad anyone plays along anyway.I know apart from being pee pervs(:))we are also an intelligent bunch on WGP,and sometimes its nice to change the subject occasionally.:thumbsup:

For my ancient times, I'd like to watch the drawing of the Nazca lines. So many wild ass theories about how it was done ... I want to be the guy who knows.

For something more modern it would have to be Woodstock. What a party!

Great answer about the Nazca lines.To know who "drew" them,and why.Why DID people draw giant Hummingbirds,Monkeys etc?If they cant be seen but from the air,how did they know what they were making....Or Stonehenge?

• 7 months later...

Will stop bumping threads after this one but, would have loved to have been on the Titanic. Everything about the ship and what happened has always fascinated me. Naturally, I'd be looking at hopping off in Ireland before but wouldn't mind experiencing that 24 hours inbetween Southampton and Cork.

I would have liked to have seen the Wolf Creek impact crater happen, this is the big one in Western Australia, but I'd need to be 100 km away. Still think it would have been impressive.

Can you imagine seeing this?

WolfCreek.jpg.960fe7d37dfa0a8441dbe384e382a934.jpg