Game of Thrones

Admin

I remember watching a few episodes about a year ago and thinking it was... OK. It didn't really grab me though and so I gave up on the series. However, there seems to have been a lot of hype about the show lately so I gave it another shot and found it's actually pretty good. I've just caught up (to series 4) and am really enjoying it. I'm curious whether anyone else here watches the show, or perhaps you've read the books (the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire')?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fan of it myself. I haven't read the books, but have heard a few spoilers from those that have(that I will keep to myself).

Yeah the problem with watching a few episodes is that

1. You really have to watch this series sequentially.

2. Even then, the first few episodes are really just setting up the rest of the series.

Of course once the shit hits the fan, it gets really good as you now know. I do recommend the series to anyone.

• Like 1

In the books there are a number of peeing related scenes. Such as when Arya Stark escape from kings Landing disguised as (boy) Arry, quite a few events revolve around how she must be careful when she 'makes water' so as not to be outed as a girl. (And for the women) There are a number of mentions of Tyrion Lannister (the Imp) pissing openly (eg When travelling in the liiter with Magister Ilyrio from Pentos)

Do the shows have these pee related episodes or have they omitted them and present the illusion , as do most TV shows and films, that humans do not need to urinate?

• Like 1

Nice to hear other members here are fans of the series. I'm hoping to read the books when I get chance.

In the books there are a number of peeing related scenes. Such as when Arya Stark escape from kings Landing disguised as (boy) Arry, quite a few events revolve around how she must be careful when she 'makes water' so as not to be outed as a girl. (And for the women) There are a number of mentions of Tyrion Lannister (the Imp) pissing openly (eg When travelling in the liiter with Magister Ilyrio from Pentos)

Do the shows have these pee related episodes or have they omitted them and present the illusion , as do most TV shows and films, that humans do not need to urinate?

Haha, you're spot on there. Generally, even shows/movies that are set in real time completely leave out any hint of peeing. Game of Thrones is one of the exceptions, which is no surprise given the high sexual content. The Arya scene your referred to is shown (although given her age you obviously can't see a stream or anything, you simply hear it and see her squatting). There are several examples of men peeing, but sadly no others I can recall of women peeing (and let's be honest, I'd have remembered if there were). I wouldn't be surprised to see a scene like that in a future episode though. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The TV series is great and the books are even better. I'd definitely recommend reading them. I love the grittyness of the world and the depth of the characters compared to a lot of other fantasy writing. I think the cast in the tv series do in most cases come close to how I imagined the characters from having read the books, especially Tyrion Lannister, who has got to be my favourite character from the story (or indeed any story).

I kinda sometimes wish they'd tone down the erotic scenes a bit in the tv series. I'm not being prudish but its kinda difficult to concentrate on two characters discussing the often complex back-story to the entire world that's been created by Martin when you've got naked boobs and butts passing in front of the camera every few seconds. lol

• Like 1

I think Tyrion is popular with almost everyone, myself included. Since I've been enjoying the latest series so much (and since it's not on this week), I finally decided to start reading the books. Despite their vast size, I reckon I'll have caught up fairly quickly as they're just as good as the series... probably better, actually. I'm already looking forward to knowing what happens before all the tv viewers do... I won't actually spoil it for my friends, but taunting them that I know what happens and they don't should be fun.

You might find you read them fast...they're quite addictive, especially books 1, 2, 3 and 5 imo. Book 4 was a little slower mainly because most of my favourite characters weren't in it (Martin split the stories across Books 4 and 5 so he concentrates on different characters in each book). It is kinda nice knowing what happens before all of the tv viewers do (except when they change the storyline!). I mainly worry about coming across spoilers online when each new book comes out as I usually wait until it is released in paperback. lol